|• Chairperson||Anwar Hasan|
|• Member of Parliament||Tabasum hasan|
|• Member of Legislative Assembly||Ch. Nahid Hassan|
|Elevation||242 m (794 ft)|
|• Additional official||Urdu|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kairana|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Kairana|
Shamli was declared as a district in September 2011 and was named Prabuddh Nagar by Mayawati, the then chief minister of Uttar Pradesh. In July 2012, Shamli got its original name back by Akhilesh Yadav, who became chief minister in 2012. Prior to that, Kairana was a tehsil of Muzaffarnagar district.
Kairana has a literacy rate of 47.23%, which is lower than the state literacy rate of 67.68%. Male literacy in Kairana is 55.16% and female literacy is 38.24%. In Kairana,18.06% of the population is under 18 years of age.
Kairana and Kandhla migration row (also known as Kairana exodus) refers to alleged mass migration of families from Kairana and Kandhla in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh during the period 2014–16. Media sources have stated that the migration was due to threats of extortion from Mukim Kala, described as a "gangster." The National Human Rights Commission issued a notice to the Uttar Pradesh government regarding the migration from Kairana. Bharatiya Janata Party politician Hukum Singh released a list of 346 Hindu families which had migrated from Kairana. On 14 June, he released another list, this time containing the names of migrant families from Kandhla. Both these list and the subsequent response have received extensive media coverage and are expected to play a key role in the upcoming Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly election, 2017. Several families have reportedly deserted the city due to extortion and loot by goons of gangsters like Mukim Kala. Many families have reportedly been forced to shift to nearby Haryana villages due to the terror. Locals said they were getting threats on phone and through letters. If one refuses to give protection money, he is killed by the henchmen. They have no option but to leave the city to save their lives.  However it was also reported that many migrated not because of communalism, but crime.
- "52nd REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONER FOR LINGUISTIC MINORITIES IN INDIA" (PDF). nclm.nic.in. Ministry of Minority Affairs. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 May 2017. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- "Census of India 2011: Data from the 2011 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- "In Akhilesh Yadav's Uttar Pradesh, mobster forces Hindu exodus" (Kairana exodus). India Today. 12 June 2016.
- "A dangerous game". The Hindu. 22 June 2016.
- "Exodus of Hindu families from Kairana a reality, finds NHRC probe report - Times of India". Retrieved 22 September 2016.