|Directed by||Raghava Lawrence|
|Produced by||Kalanithi Maran|
|Written by||Raghava Lawrence|
|Music by||S. Thaman|
|Distributed by||Sun Pictures|
|Box office||₹130 crore|
Kanchana 3 (marketed as Muni 4: Kanchana 3) is a 2019 Indian Tamil language action-comedy horror film co-produced, written and directed by Raghava Lawrence. The film stars Raghava Lawrence in a dual role with Oviya, Vedhika, Nikki Tamboli and Ri Djavi Alexandra. While Kovai Sarala, Soori, Tarun Arora, and Kabir Duhan Singh play supporting roles. Produced by Sun Pictures, the fourth installment in the Muni Franchise and third installment in Kanchana series, the film began production during October 2018 and released on Good Friday (19/04/2019) to mixed reviews. Later, the film was dubbed in Hindi as K3: Kaali Ka Karishma.
The ghost-fearing Raghava and his happy family consisting of his mother, brother, sister in law, and their daughter set out to Coimbatore for a family function, and there, the whole family, including Raghava's female cousins Priya, Kavya, and Divya, witness strange and scary incidents at their grandparents' house, as well as Raghava getting possessed. The subsequent events return to another character named Kaali.
Kaali is a social worker who runs an ashram that gives shelter and feeds poor people. He has also contributed to the studies of poor youths. One day, a politician named Bhavani, the brother of the minister, Shankar enters Kaali's ashram. He asks to keep a sum of 100 crores in his ashram, which is black money, and return 80 crores and keep 20 crores as a source of funding to his ashram. When Kaali refuses, he sends his men to kill Kaali's handicapped innocents, which angers Kaali. He then sets out to kill Bhavani's henchmen and finally him. When Bhavani is murdered, Shankar is angered and his assistant devises a plan to kill Kaali. When Rosie and Kaali take a ride on a bike, Shankar appoints two lorries and crushes them both. Rosie dies there, and Kaali dies watching the video of his ashram and his supporters getting destroyed in a fire.
The possessed Raghava sets out to kill Shankar. However, to his surprise, Shankar had already arranged exorcists to crush Kaali (possessed Raghava). However, surpassing them, he kills Shankar and avenges his death.
In the end credits, it is shown that Kaali and Rosie join hands together and walk.
- Raghava Lawrence in a dual role as Raghava and Kaali
- Oviya as Kavya, Raghava's cousin
- Vedhika as Priya, Raghava's cousin
- Nikki Tamboli as Divya, Raghava's cousin
- Ri Djavi Alexandra as Rosie, Kaali's love interest
- Kovai Sarala as Raghava's mother
- Devadarshini as Kamakshi, Raghava's sister-in-law
- Soori as Govindan, Kaali's friend
- Sriman as Raghava's brother
- Delhi Ganesh as Raghava's grandfather
- Tarun Arora as Minister Shankar
- Kabir Duhan Singh as Bhavani, Shankar's brother
- Anupama Kumar as Radha, Kaali's mother
- Yuvasri Lakshmi as Pappa, Raghava's niece
- Bhanu Balasubramaniam as Raghava's grandmother
- Aathma Patrick as Murthy
- "Myna" Nandhini as Durga
- Sunitha Gogoi as Dhivya
- Priyanka Nalkari as Moshika, Dhivya's sister
- Ashok Pandian as Dhivya and Moshika's father
- Meerabi as Dhivya and Moshika's mother
- R. N. R. Manohar as Shankar's friend
- Sampath Ram as Aghori
- Ajay Ghosh as a corrupt cop
Following the success of Kanchana 2 (2015), Raghava Lawrence confirmed that more films in the horror comedy series would continue to be made. In August 2015, he announced a film titled Naaga, which he would direct himself, and the film was widely reported to be the fourth film in the Muni series. He subsequently moved on to work on two other films, Motta Shiva Ketta Shiva (2017) and Shivalinga (2017).
Lawrence revived the project in August 2017 and revealed that he was finishing the script. The regular supporting cast of Kovai Sarala, Manobala, Sriman and Devadarshini were retained. Sun Pictures, who had recently produced who had previously produced Enthiran (2010), agreed to produce their film, marking their second production. In late September, the following actresses were added to the project: Oviya, following her popularity on the Tamil reality show Bigg Boss, Vedhika from the first film, and newcomer Nikki Tamboli.
Raghava Lawrence further inked a deal with DooPaaDoo.com which is owned by lyricist Madhan Karky. It was revealed that the film will have songs from six independent music directors throughout the DooPaaDoo.com platform, with 2 of the film's songs are composed by singer Saravedi Saran, while each one song will be composed by Sekar Sai Bharath, Jessie Samuel (who earlier sung one of the songs in the film Jarugandi), Bharath Madhusuthanan and the duo of Raj Thillaiyampalam-Kapilan Kugavel. The background music was composed by Thaman, who earlier composed for director's previous Kanchana and Kanchana 2 film.
|Muni 4: Kanchana 3|
|Soundtrack album by |
Saravedi Saran, Sekar Sai Bharath, Raj Thillaiyampalam, Kapilan Kugavel, Jessie Samuel and Bharath Madhusuthanan
|Language||Tamil, Kannada, Telugu|
|1.||"Nanbanukku Kovila kattu"||Madhan Karky||Saravedi Saran||Saravedi Saran||4:40|
|2.||"Kadhal-Oru-Vizhiyil"||Madhan Karky||Raj Thillaiyampalam, Kapilan Kugavel||Neha Venugopal||4:07|
|3.||"Ketta payan sir Kaali"||Madhan Karky||Sekar Sai Bharath||Dhivagaran Santhosh||4:03|
|4.||"Oru Sattai Oru Balpam"||Saravedi Saran||Saravedi Saran||Saravedi Saran, Srinidhi S||3:28|
|5.||"Shake Your Body"||Jesse Samuel||Jesse Samuel||Jesse Samuel||3:46|
|6.||"Rudhra Kaali"||Bharath Madhusuthanan||Deepak, Renjith Unni, Pavan, Velu||4:06|
The film performed well at the box office. The film received positive reviews from Wetalkiess. The dubbed Kannada version titled Kanchana 3 was panned by critics. Film Companion South wrote, "In theory, I am a fan of mixing humor and horror. I just wish they worked more on the writing. I can live with the non-existent craft in these films, but is it too much to ask a horror-comedy to have some quality horror and some quality comedy?"
The movie was released on Good Friday in 2019.
- "Bigil, Petta, Viswasam, Kanchana 3, Nerkonda Paarvai, Kaithi power Kollywood's theatrical takings in 2019 to Rs 1000 cr". Firstpost. 4 December 2019.
- "KANCHANA 3". British Board of Film Classification.
- "Kaali Ka Karishma". Zee5. Retrieved 26 July 2020.
- "Kanchana 3 is currently titled as Naagaa". 3 August 2015.
- "Jyothika the next 'Kanchana'? - Tamil Movie News - IndiaGlitz.com".
- "Lawrence meets Jyothika, narrates script". 6 August 2015.
- "Raghava Lawrence To Revive Muni Franchise, Confirms Fourth Film". 24 August 2017.
- "Raghava Lawrence starrer Kanchana 3 to kick off next month".
- "Sun Pictures officially confirms Kanchana-3".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 10 January 2018. Retrieved 15 October 2017.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Kanchana-3 shoot started in Chennai".
- "Raghava Lawrence's Kanchana 3 aka Muni 4 to release on April 19". Behindwoods. 13 November 2018. Retrieved 25 July 2020.
- Kanchana 3, Gaana.com, retrieved 25 July 2020
- V, NARAYANAN. "For Tamil film industry, 2019 was a mixed bag; Star power and content were key draws". @businessline. Retrieved 19 April 2020.
- Wetalkiess (18 April 2019), Kanchana 3 Movie Review | Raghava Lawerence | Oviya | Wetalkiess, retrieved 29 April 2019
- "Kanchana 3 Movie Review: Raghava Lawrence Busts Our Eardrums In The Most Tiresome Entry In The 'Kanchana' Franchise". Film Companion South.