|Sims playing for the Knights in 2012.|
2 January 1992 |
Gerringong, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||189 cm (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||108 kg (17 st 0 lb)|
|Position||Prop, Lock, Second-row|
Korbin Sims (born 2 January 1992) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer who currently plays for the Newcastle Knights of the National Rugby League. He primarily plays prop, lock and second-row.
Born in Gerringong, New South Wales, Sims is of Fijian descent. Sims played his junior football for the Gerringong Lions and Wests Panthers before being signed by the Brisbane Broncos, along with his brothers, Ashton and Tariq in 2008. Sims has played for the Queensland U16's and U18's teams. Sims played for the Broncos NYC team in 2010, playing alongside his brother Tariq, scoring 2 tries in 9 games. In 2011, Sims joined the Newcastle Knights. Sims played for the Knights NYC team in 2011 and 2012, scoring 14 tries in 40 games. In 2012, Sims was named at prop in the inaugural Under 20's State of Origin match for Queensland. Sims later withdrew from the side due to a broken hand. On 21 August 2012, Sims was named at prop in the 2012 Toyota Cup Team of the Year. On 2 October 2012, Sims was named at second-row in the Junior Kangaroos team to face the Junior Kiwis.
In Round 3 of the 2013 NRL season, Sims made his NRL debut for the Newcastle Knights against the North Queensland Cowboys off the interchange bench, playing against his brother Ashton in the Knights 34-6 win at Hunter Stadium. On 3 June 2013, Sims re-signed with the Knights on a 2-year contract after rejecting offers from the North Queensland Cowboys and Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles. Sims finished his debut year in the NRL with him playing in 12 matches for the Newcastle Knights in the 2013 NRL season. Sims was selected in the Fiji national rugby league team 24-man squad along his brothers Ashton and Tariq for the 2013 Rugby League World Cup, playing in 3 matches and scoring a try in his Fiji international debut against Ireland in the 32-14 win at Spotland Stadium.
In Round 7 against the Brisbane Broncos, Sims scored his first NRL career try in the Knights 32-6 loss at Hunter Stadium. In May 2014, Sims played for Fiji in the 2014 Pacific Rugby League International. Fiji lost the test match 32-16, but Korbin stole the limelight with a massive shot on Samoan opponent Isaac Liu. Sims finished the 2014 NRL season with him playing in 20 matches and scoring 2 tries for the Knights.
On the 8th of May, 2015, Sims groped the genitals of opposition player and former team mate Willie Mason, an action described by Rugby League writer Brad Walter as being "infantile", "bizarre and offensive", and worthy of punishment due to the potential for the incident to portray the NRL in a distasteful and damaging light.
Despite some rugby league reporters calling for harsh disciplinary action as a result of the incident, Mason was unperturbed, stating that he found the incident "hilarious." Sims received a warning from the NRL match review committee. Sims apologized for any offence caused to those who were watching the game and described it as a "harmless gesture between two friends."
Sims is the younger brother of fellow Newcastle Knights player Tariq Sims and Warrington Wolves player Ashton Sims. His elder sister Ruan Sims played for the Australian women's team in 2010 and 2015.
- "Korbin Sims - Career Stats & Summary". Rugbyleagueproject.org. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Sims ready to defy family ties". NRL.com. 2014-01-19. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- [dead link]
- Keeble, Brett (2012-04-16). "Blues lose Korbin Sims to Queensland | Newcastle Herald". Theherald.com.au. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Toyota Cup Team of the Year". NRL.com. 2012-08-21. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Junior Kangaroos side announced". NRL.com. 2012-10-02. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- Brett Keeble. "Thurston's 200th game overshadowed by big-scoring Knights". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Korbin Sims re-signs with Knights". Smh.com.au. 2013-06-03. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Rugby League World Cup squads". NRL.com. 2013-10-14. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "BBC Sport - Rugby League World Cup 2013: Fiji 32-14 Ireland". Bbc.com. 2013-10-28. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Brisbane Broncos rock-solid as Newcastle Knights crumble at Hunter Stadium". Dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Gutsy Samoa secures place in Four Nations tournament following win over Fiji". Dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "KNIGHTS NAME 2015 NINES SQUAD". Rugby League Week. 2015-01-20. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Korbin Sims re-signs with Knights". Smh.com.au. 2015-03-13. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Representative Round team lists". NRL.com. 2015-05-03. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Korbin Sims selection as damaging for NRL as Willie Mason incident.".
- Adrian Proszenko. "Newcastle Knights forward Korbin Sims breaks silence on 'Williegate'". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- Brad Walter (The Sydney Morning Herald) (17 May 2013). "Sims sister Ruan leading way as female participation swells". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 16 July 2014.