The "naach gaana" in the streets of villages of the western Orissa regions are traditionally based on the plots of Ramayana, Mahabharata and other religion epics. During the early days Ram-Parshuram bhet was recognized as a form of street play. Currently "Ramlila" is performed in several villages. Majority of the dramas are performed in open air auditoriums where people stand surrounding the stage to observe. The great visionary Pundit Prayag Dutt Joshi wrote one drama 'KAPAT BIHA' in 1936 and it was staged in Raj Khariar in that year.
Theatre and Organizations
- Kosali drama are organized at different parts of Western Orissa to revive the Kosali drama theater tradition. Generally, artists from different parts of Western Orissa and other parts of the country are invited for this festival.
- Kosli Naatbadi a state level drama festival is also organized at Sadeipali, Balangir during the month of January. Various cultural organization of Kosal region participates in the week-long Kosli drama festival.
- Matkhai Mahotsav, a multilingual theatre festival is also organized in Balangir town. This festival brings artists and cultural troupes from all part of India together. Various local cultural troupes also perform folk musics viz. Ghubukudu and Kendra.
- Yuba Udayan started in 1997 to bring all the theatre activists otogether.
- Veer Surendra Sai All Orissa Sambalpuri Drama Competition was born for the revival of Kosali drama activities. In the inaugural year only 19 plays were presented and the next fourteen years witnessed 346 plays being staged. Kosali theatre has engaged scripts, directors and artists to work for performing these dramas.
- Belpahar Uchhab "MACHAN"' 18 to 22 Dec every year
- Belpahar Uchhab MACHAN National Theatre festival. The festival started from 2004.
Notable Kosali Drama
- Kuili Kuili Kia Raja
- Maet Maa (mother earth)
- Dwithiya Gandhi
- Bhat Muthe
- Lal Paen (The Red Water)
- E Phul
- Ram Naam Sat Rahe
- Kurey Phular Katha
- Ubelia Utpat
- Mousumi (A Symbolic Pay on Monsoon wind)
- Tumar aamar Katha
- Gadhar Katha
- Kua ra Gharen Kuili Raja
- Luhur Rang
- Vikash (The Development)
- Khaman Rani
- Bhanga Kachen Chaka Jan
- Badkha Dada by Mirror Theatre, Belpahar
- April-27 (A Koshli Solo Play) By Mirror Theatre, Belpahar