Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Type||Public Unitary Technical Educational and research university|
|Chancellor||Governor of Odisha|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. E. Saibaba Reddy|
|Location||Burla, Sambalpur, Odisha, India
|Campus||231 acres (0.93 km2)|
Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology (VSSUT), formerly known as the University College of Engineering, Burla, is a University Grants Commission (India) (UGC) recognised Unitary Technical University located in Burla, Sambalpur, Odisha, India.It is first engineering college in Odisha. It is one of the best Engineering college running under government of the Indian.It is the oldest engineering institute in Odisha, founded as the University College of Engineering (UCE) in 1956. UCE Burla was officially renamed as Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology on 12 February 2009, as a result of a move by the Government of Odisha to accord it with the status of a unitary university. Before getting University status it was the first educational institute in Odisha to be granted 'Autonomous' status in the year 1991. In 2012 VSSUT was awarded 12B status by UGC.
- 1 Motto
- 2 History
- 3 Recognition
- 4 Campus
- 5 Administration and management
- 6 Admission process
- 7 Academics
- 8 Faculty
- 9 Student life and culture
- 10 Alumni of VSSUT
- 11 Achievements of VSSUT Students
- 12 Surroundings and connectivity
- 13 See also
- 14 References
- 15 External links
The motto of VSSUT is "Siddhirbhawati Karmajaa" (सिद्धिर्भवति कर्मजा in Sanskrit). The motto literally translates to "Efforts yields success" essentially implying that putting in effort in a proper manner and correct direction will beget success. It is sourced to Sri Krishna's discourse to Arjuna in Bhagavad Gita. This quote in its larger context of Gita urges man to acquire equanimity because such a soul endowed with the mind of equanimity allows him to shed the effects of his good and evil deeds in this world itself. Equanimity is the source of perfection in Karmic endeavors while leading to Salvation.
Foundation and vision
Situated at the foothill of world famous Hirakud dam, the early history of the University is a fascinating chapter in the story of technical education in Odisha. The primary objective was of establishing the engineering college is to produce engineers who can manage Hirakud Dam. UCE was established on 12 August 1956 with three departments – Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Electrical Engineering. At that time the current building was not finished so the college started in a building now known as the Bharati Club, and students lived in the quarters of the Hirakud Dam project. Before the establishment of an engineering college at Burla, students of Odisha used to go to Shibpur (IIEST), Roorkee (IIT), Jadavpur University etc. for engineering studies.
Established on 12th Aug. 1956, at Burla in the name of University College of Engineering (UCE), the first engineering college was functioning as a constituent college of Utkal University, Bhubaneswar. UCE got transferred to the administrative control of Sambalpur University in January 1967 and later on to Biju Patnaik University of Technology (BPUT) by BPUT Act-2002 in July, 2002.
Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology (VSSUT) Odisha was formed by Orissa Act 9 of 2009 by converting University College of Engineering (UCE), Burla to a non-affiliating Unitary University and came into force by issue of notification by the Industries Department, Government of Odisha from 1st day of July 2009(Vide memo No.IV/TTI-33/2009-8553 and 8564 dtd.10 June 2009. The 1st Statutes of VSSUT, Burla 2010 has been approved by the Odisha Government vide Industry Department notification No.V-FE-II-01/2010/8697 dated 21 June 2010. This State Government University is also recognized by University Grants Commission (UGC), New Delhi vide UGC letter No.. F.9-36/2009(CPP-I) dtd.5th Jan 2010. The University is empowered to award degrees as specified by the UGC under section 22 of the UGC Act. The University has been declared eligible to receive central assistance under Section 12B of the UGC Act vide letter F.No.9-36/2009(CPP-I/PU) dated 8 November 2012.
All the engineering courses of the University are AICTE approved.
The campus covers an area of 203 acres (0.82 km2) with a maximum expansion capacity as per the land allotted to it is 503 acres (2.04 km2). It is situated in the hills near the River Mahanadi. Located near the Hirakud Dam, the University is a few hundredmeters away from the intersection of NH-06 and NH-42. The access route from NH-06 travels up to the Golden Jubilee gate at the entrance of University.
To the left of the gate stands the University library, the oldest and the largest technical library in Odisha, while to the other side there is the college auditorium. The campus encompasses department buildings, the Administrative Block, a workshop, a central internet facility, and a number of laboratories. The University has a gymnasium and yoga centre for its students. The campus has a playground and courts for basketball, volleyball, tennis, and badminton.
VSSUT has conducted already 6 of its convocations: the first on 25 February 2010, the second on 9 October 2010, the third one on 6 August 2011, the fourth on 14 December 2012, the fifth in December 2013 and the sixth in November 2014.
Administration and management
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2013)|
Admission to the academic programs mentioned is awarded through performance of candidates in state or national level tests and on the basis of the applicant's prior academic record. Admissions to various Masters programmes offered are conducted by University. However, the students to B.Tech as well as MCA Programme get admitted through Joint Entrance Examination(JEEMAIN) conducted by CBSE . Very soon the university is planning to organise its own entrance exam for all of its academic programs.For the M.Tech programme, the university need GATE score.
The University offers a range of under- and post-graduate programs in engineering and natural sciences The following academic programmes are available at VSSUT:
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech)
- Master of Technology (M.Tech)
- Master of Science (M.Sc.)
- Master in Computer Application (MCA)
- Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
The university confers the degree of Bachelor of Technology, (B. Tech) in the following disciplines:
- Civil Engineering (120 Seats) (including dual degree)
- Mechanical Engineering (120 Seats)
- Electrical Engineering (120 Seats) (including dual degree)
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering (60 Seats)
- Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering (120 Seats)
- Computer Science and Engineering (60 Seats)
- Information Technology (60 Seats)
- Production Engineering (60 Seats)
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering (60 Seats)
- Chemical Engineering (60 Seats)
VSSUT,BURLA has increased its intake capacity by about 300 seats in B. Tech in 2015.
Total seats / enrollment / strength of students for undergraduate courses(2016) = [120 + 120 + 120 + 60 + 120 + 60 + 60 + 60 + 60 + 60 + 300 (increased seats) + 228 (lateral entry)] * 4 (years) = 5472 (STUDENTS APPROX )
The university confers the degree of 5years Integrated MSc, (Integrated MSc) in the following disciplines:
- Integrated MSc in Chemistry (18 Seats)
- Integrated MSc in Physics (18 Seats)
- Integrated MSc in Mathematics (18 Seats)
Postgraduate and doctoral education
In the field of basic science the university takes students from different disciplines to pursue their respective master's degrees. Various courses are Master of physics, Master of chemistry and Master of math. The university launched the post graduate physics course in 2010; later on the M.phil and Ph.D. courses were added. Similarly, the postgraduate chemistry programme and the mathematics programme started in 2010 also. With the effect of growing time these departments are also gaining momentum and also positioned themselves in a unique place in the university.
The University has a QIP Centre for Ph.D. programmes in engineering disciplines. The University admits full-time scholars to the Ph.D. Programmes in Engineering disciplines as well as in the field of Applied Sciences. VSSUT also has provisions for pursuing Master in Computer Application (MCA). The university confers the degree of Master of Technology, (M. Tech) in the following disciplines:
- Structural Engineering
- Water Resource Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Geotechnical engineering
- Environmental Science & Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Power System Engineering
- Power Electronics Control & Drives
- Communication System Engineering
- VLSI Signal Processing
- Microwave Engineering
- Instrumentation & Control
- Machine Design and Analysis
- Production Engineering
- Heat Power Engineering
- Robotics & CAD-CAM
- Manufacturing System Engineering
Education system and student evaluation
Semester system is being followed for both Undergraduate and Post graduate programmes. Medium of Instruction and teaching is English. The syllabus is updated at regular intervals keeping an eye to the advancements in technology and need of the industries VSSUT has strict rules for grades. Depending on the course the evaluation is based on participation in class, attendance, quiz, exam and/or paper. Continuous evaluation is done by course instructors. The Evaluation System of VSSUT which is also used in many other national and state institutions is the Semester Grade Point Average(SGPA) with a scale from 0 to 10 which is converted to letters:
|Grade||Grade Pts||in Words|
CGPA then gets calculated as the cumulative credit-weighted average of the grade points: CGPA = (Σ Ci • GPi) / (Σ Ci) where: N is the number of courses Ci is credits for the ith course GPi is grade points for the ith course sGPA is the cumulative grade point average
The SGPA is not the same as the American one. In India some credits might be awarded during Bachelor studies for Co-curricular and Extra-curricular Activities, while during the Master Programme this is not allowed. Through agreements with numerous national organisations, VSSUT grades are accepted from many national organisations like IITs, NITs, IISc Banglore and IIMs.
Additional the attendance of the students is evaluated with VG for very good (always present), G for good (not present every lecture) and P for poor (student was present less than 75% of lectures)
Some of the faculty honors are:
- Dr P.K. Hota (Reader of Electrical Dept.) has been selected to be listed in "The Contemporary WHO's WHO" 2002-2003 published by The American Biographical Institute, USA on the basis of merited accomplishment and success in contemporary Society.
- Dr. S. Mishra (Reader of Electrical Dept.) has INSA Medal for Young Scientist (2002)" given by Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi.
- Dr. S. Mishra (Reader of Electrical Dept.) "Young Engineers Award - 2002" given by Indian National Academy for Engineers, New Delhi.
- Dr. Manas Ranjan Kabat(Associate Professor & Head Dept. of Comp. Sc. & Engg.)-A pioneer in the field of Algorithms,Internet Quality of Service,Artificial Intelligence.
- Dr. Chittaranjan Tripathy (Professor, Dept. of Comp. Sc. & Eng. )-Now serving as the Vice-Chancellor of Sambalpur University .Lead India in the field of Parallel Processing.
- Mr. Santosh Kumar Majhi  (Assistant Professor, Dept. of Comp. Sc. & Engg.) has been awarded Young Scientist in Engineering/ Cloud Computing by VIFRA, Chennai, India, 2015.
- Mr. Sanjaya Kumar Panda  (Assistant Professor, Dept. of Information Technology) has been awarded Young Scientist in Engineering by VIFRA, Chennai, India, 2015, Paper Presenter Award at International Conference (Computer Society of India (CSI), 2015) and CSI Distinguished Speaker (2015–16).
Student life and culture
Some of the student residences are:
- Atri Hall of Residence (formerly the East Hostel)
- Kratu Hall of Residence (formerly the West Hostel)
- Vasistha Hall of Residence (formerly the North Hostel)
- Marichi Hall of Residence (formerly the South Hostel)
- Pulastya Hall of Residence (for first year students)
- Pulaha Hall of Residence
- Arundhati Hall of Residence (for third year & fourth year students)
- Vishakha Hall of Residence(for second year students)
- Anuradha Hall of Residence(for first year students)
- Angira Hall of Residence (PG Hostel)
- Rohini Hall of Residence
Student bodies and societies
The Students' Cultural Association organises debates, quizzes, indoor games, Ganesha Puja, and Saraswati Puja. VSSUT Student Satellite Team works on space science in collaboration with ISRO. VSSUT App Developers Console Developed an Android App named "VSSUT-BURLA,Guide" which is available in Playstore. The Audio Visual Club have taken an initiative step by organising "DISHA", A National Level Documentary Movie-making Competition in 2016. The Social Service Guild and Students' Aid Fund renders temporary loans to needy and deserving students and organises social welfare activities. In this regard the students of VSSUT have started Sanskar Kendra which takes care of the education of a nearby village named Kirba. The Dramatic Association presents theatrical performances, variety shows, and other productions which exploit and develop the musical and histrionic talents of the students. The Music Club provides cultural activities with opportunities for staff and students to develop their musical talents. Other clubs and groups include:
- VSSUT Student Satellite Initiative
- VSSUT App Developers Console
- Athletic club
- Art and photography club
- VSSUT SAE Collegiate Club
- Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology Literary Society(abbreviated as VSSUTECLITS)
- Audio-visual club
- VSSUT Robotics club
- India Society for Technical Education chapter for staff and students
- National Service Scheme
- Departamental engineering societies
- QUIZZINE-Quiz club
- Vibranz-Dance club
- Souls-Music club
- NCC- National cadet corps
- Yoga club
- Sanskar Kendra
- Entrepreneurship Development Cell
The festivals generally takes place during the even semester, i.e., during the month of January to March. The technical festival, called the Samavesh, brings together thousands of engineering and applied science students from all over the country to exhibit their innovative designs, prototypes, and products, and also present technical papers. The university also holds the annual cultural festival, VaSSaUnT. Other festivals that are organised in the University are:
- Emouvoir: Annual Dramatics Fest
- Utkarsh: Annual Socio-Management Fest
- Illumina: Annual Sports Meet
Various departments have their individual festivals/annual meets. Annual departmental festivals include:
- Innova: Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Sthaapna: Department of Civil Engineering
- Techtronix: Department of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- Srujan: Department of Computer Science and Applications
- Resonance: Department of Electrical Engineering & EEE
- Gamut: Department of Manufacturing Science and Engineering
Other meets and events
VSSUT also organises Global Alumni Meet (GAM) annually which a significant event in the University's calendar. The Global alumni meet is an event to unite all the alumni VSSUT/UCE Burla across the globe at VSSUT Burla campus to refresh the golden memories of their student days and strengthen the interaction between alumni, faculty and current students. The first Global Alumni Meet (GAM) of VSSUT, Burla was held on 12 and 13 January 2013 in the University Campus at Burla which was graced by the presence of Shri Naveen Patnaik, present Chief Minister of Odisha and Prasanna Acharya, Present Finance Minister of Odisha.
Alumni of VSSUT
1.Prof. Braja Mohan Das - ( 1963 B.Tech) Dean Emeritus, College of Engineering and Computer Science, California State University, Sacramento, California, USA, VSSUT Best Alumnus Award-2014.
2.Er. Sudhakar Patri, (1969, B.Tech.), Ex-Chief Engineer, Water Resources Dept, Govt. of Odisha.
3.Er. Nalini Ranjan Pradhan - EIC cum Works Secretary, Govt of Odisha and Member of Board of Management, VSSUT.
4.Prof. Pradeep Behera, (1987, B.Tech.)Professor and Chair, Department of Civil Engineering, University of the District of Columbia, USA.
Electronics & Teleco. Engg.
1.Prof. Ganapati Panda ( 1972, B.Tech.) -Ex-Dy Director, IIT Bhubaneswar.
2.Prof. Sagar Naik, (1980 B.Tech.) Professor, Dept .of Electrical and Comp. Engg., University of Waterloo, Canada
3.Prof. Rabi N. Mahapatra- (1979 B.Tech.), Professor, Dept. of Comp. Sc. & Engg., Texas A & M University, USA.
4.Dr. Binay Kumar Das - ( 1979 B.Tech.) - Director, ITR, Balasore, DRDO
5.Dr. Sanjay Burman ( 1985 B.Tech. ) - Director, CAIR, DRDO, Bangalore and Recipient of Scientist of the Year Award from Honorable Prime Minister of India. Member of Board of Management, VSSUT.
6.Prof. Syam Sundar Pattnaik ( 1992, PhD Electronic Enng.), Vice-Chancelllor, Biju Pattanaik University of Technology, Rourkela.
1.Er. S.B. Nayak, (1968, B.Tech.) - Ex-President(Tech.), Vedanta and Ex-Director, NALCO.
2.Prof. J.K. Satapathy(1976, B.Tech. ) Ex-Vice Chancellor, BPUT Rourkela.
3.Er. Prasant K. Pradhan ( 1977, B.Tech.) - CEO, WESCO, Odisha
4.Prof. C.R. Tripathy(1983, B.Tech. ) Vice-Chancellor, Sambalpur University, Burla.
5.Er. Sanjay Mishra (1990, B.Tech.) Author and Principal PM Manager at Microsoft, Redmond, USA.
6.Er. Jagadish Mahapatra(1993, B.Tech. )-Managing Director for India and SAARC at McAfee, Mumbai, India.
1.Late Ajit Mahaptra ( 1961, B.Tech.) - Ex-CMD Kalinga Engineers Ltd. 2.Late Prof. Aswini K. Mohanty (1962, B.Tech.) -Ex-Dy. Director, IIT Kharagpur.
3.Er. Banbir Das ( 1965, B.Tech.) - Ex-Addl. D.G, Ministry of Defence, Govt. of India.
4.Mihir K. Mohanty (1965, B.Tech) - Ex-Vice-President, ACC, Mumbai
5.R.P. Panigrahi (1967, B.Tech.) - General Manager, OCL, Rajgangpur
6.Prof. Krushna Chandra. Singh ( 1969, B.Tech.) - Ex-Principal, UCE Burla
7.Prof. Brajabandhu Pradhan (1970, B.Tech.) - Ex-Principal, UCE Burla.
8.S.S. Mohanty ( 1977, B.Tech.) - Director(Technical), SAIL, New Delhi
9.Er. Naren K. Sahoo, Inventor of ST micro
10.Er. Arup Nanda, (1991, B.Tech) Principal Database Architect at Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc..USA Awarded the Enterprise Architect of the Year by Oracle.
11.Prof. Krishna Dev Kumar, Professor & Canada Research Chair in Space Systems, Department of Aerospace Engineering, Ryerson University, Canada
Achievements of VSSUT Students
 Some of the students honors are:
- VSSUT second year Electrical and Electronics Engineering student Bodhisattwa Sanghapriya received Odisha Youth Innovation Award-2016 from Chief Minister of Odisha.
- VSSUT Student Satellite Team represents India in Space Science at International Innovation Festival-2016
- VSSUT won the TATA Crucible Business Quiz 2015 Ranchi edition and finished joint third at its Eastern Zone Finals.
- All India Rank 2 & 3 for 3 consecutive years in GATE.
- 13th position in ACM Programming Contest - 2002 held at IIT Kanpur.
- Team Veerracerss secured 11th rank among 174 teams in the virtuals of SUPRA-SAE(a national event) virtual simulation round, held at KIIT University(2013).
- Team VEERss Racing ranked 51st in 2011 and rank 55th in 2012 in BAJA SAE
- Team VEERss Racing ranked AIR 4th overall in 2016 and rank 12th in 2015 in BAJA STUDENT INDIA
- VSSUT Team Robocon ranked 4th in 2011 in ABU Robocon Indian.
- VSSUT Team Robocon ranked 27th in 2015 in Robocon India out of 85 teams.
- Team Veerracerss secured 47th rank among 110 teams in the Main event of SUPRA-SAEINDIA 2015 held at MMRT Chennai (a national event).
- VSSUT Team Robocon ranked 20th in 2016 in ABU Robocon India by beating 7 times champion NIRMA University.
- VSSUT Team robocon ranked 3rd in ROBOCON MATLAB Compettition.
Surroundings and connectivity
VSSUT, Burla lies at the foot of HIRAKUD DAM, at the intersection point of NH-6 and AH- 46. With well-linked railroads it is reachable by two major stations, Hirakud Station (2 km) and Sambalpur Station (10 km). It is connected to airways network through Bhubaneswar Airport (6 hrs journey) and Raipur Airport(6 hours' journey).
- "UCE becomes Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology". OdishaLinks. 18 December 2008. Retrieved 22 December 2008.