La Cañada High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|La Cañada High School|
|4463 Oak Grove Drive
La Cañada Flintridge, California
|Number of students||approx. 2,200|
|Athletics conference||CIF-SS Rio Hondo League|
|Rivals||San Marino High School|
Omega (High School)Alpha (Middle School)
|Colors||Red & Gold|
La Cañada High School is a high school located in La Cañada Flintridge, California, US. It sits at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains, below the Angeles National Forest, in the City of La Cañada Flintridge. The school is adjacent to the Interstate 210 Freeway north of Pasadena's Rose Bowl and south of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
La Cañada High School has been named both a California Distinguished School and a National Blue Ribbon School. The U.S. Department of Education has recognized LCHS for “high achievement and exemplary programs”, for rich extracurricular activities, and for strong community support. With an enrollment of 1445 in grades 9–12, LCHS has also consistently received the maximum six years of accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Of the graduating class of 2012, 100% of students attended college. Also according to U.S. News & World Report, in 2012 LCHS is rated #1 of the top high schools in California, #20 for top open enrollment high schools in the U.S., #7 for top open enrollment high school in California, and #1 top open enrollment high school in Southern California. LCHS was recognized as a National Blue Ribbon High School in 2004 and 2015.
- Michael Cunningham (Class of 1970), author of the 1998 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Hours
- Doug Davidson (Class of 1973), actor (The Young and the Restless).
- Chris Holmes (Class of 1976), lead guitarist W.A.S.P.
- Phil Joanou (Class of 1979), film director (Rattle and Hum, Three O'Clock High)
- Mark Riebling (Class of 1982), author of Wedge: The Secret War Between the FBI and the CIA
- Matt Whisenant (Class of 1988), former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Brian Behlendorf (Class of 1991), computer programmer, developer of the Apache Web server
- Chris D'Elia (Class of 1998), stand-up comic and actor
- Indra Petersons (Class of 1998), a weather anchor for CNN's New Day and CNN Newsroom programs
- Bryan Matthew Sevilla (Class of 2004), pornographic actor known by the stage name James Deen
- David Lipsky (Class of 2006), golfer
- Trace Cyrus, (Class of 2007) (dropped out in 2006) member of the band Metro Station, adopted son of Billy Ray Cyrus
- Kate Hansen (Class of 2010), 2014 Winter Olympic luger
- "La Canada High School / Overview". Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- "Best High Schools Rankings – Top High Schools – US News". Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- La Cañada High School Omega. 2004.