Cyrus in 2009.
Neil Timothy Helson|
February 24, 1989
Ashland, Kentucky, U.S.
Billy Ray Cyrus (father)|
Leticia Jean Cyrus (mother)
Ron Cyrus (grandfather)|
Miley Cyrus (sister)
Noah Cyrus (sister)
|Origin||Burbank, California, U.S.|
Trace Dempsey Cyrus (born Neil Timothy Helson; February 24, 1989) is an American musician. The son of country singer Billy Ray Cyrus and brother of recording artists Miley Cyrus and Noah Cyrus, he is the backing vocalist and bassist of the band Metro Station. He left the band in 2010 but returned in 2014. In 2010, he began providing vocals and guitar in the pop rock band Ashland HIGH. He also owns the clothing company From Backseats to Bedrooms.
Life and career
1989–2006: Early life and childhood
Cyrus was born in Ashland, Kentucky as Neil Timothy Helson. His mother is Leticia "Tish" Cyrus. His biological father is Baxter Neal Helson, but he was adopted by Billy Ray Cyrus, her second husband, and lived with them part of the time in Franklin, Tennessee. Upon his adoption, his name was legally changed to Trace Dempsey Cyrus.
Cyrus spent his school holidays touring and performing with Billy Ray. He has a younger sister, Miley, who starred in the Disney Channel original television series Hannah Montana. In an interview with MTV, he discussed recording with Miley: "Actually, I'm going to sing on one of the tracks on her next album. I can't say much about it right now, but we will be collaborating."
Cyrus has many tattoos on his arms and chest, including the words "stay gold" tattooed on his knuckles. He displayed these designs for PETA's "Ink Not Mink" anti-fur campaign in 2012. In 2006, he started working at a shopping mall in Burbank, California and dropped out of La Cañada High School.
2006–10: Metro Station
In 2006, Cyrus co-wrote a song called "Country Music Has the Blues" on Billy Ray's 2006 album Wanna Be Your Joe. The song features guest appearances by Loretta Lynn and George Jones. Cyrus was a guitarist and vocalist in the pop rock band Metro Station. He started the band with Mason Musso in early 2006 when their mothers set them up to do a jam together, since Musso's brother Mitchel is a Hannah Montana cast member. Columbia Records signed the band after an intern at the record label saw their MySpace page. He appeared with Musso on MTV's Total Request Live on June 9, 2008. Their band along with The Maine were the two special guest acts on the 2008 Soundtrack of Your Summer Tour, co-headlined by Boys Like Girls and Good Charlotte. Metro Station parted ways in early 2010.
In 2008, he featured in a song called "Hovering" on Miley's album, Breakout in the Deluxe Edition. Also in 2008, he appeared in the music video for the song "Somebody Said a Prayer" for the lead single for Billy Ray's album, Back to Tennessee. In 2010, he was featured in the song, "Alive" for Billy Ray's band, Brother Clyde.
2010–present: Ashland HIGH and return to Metro Station
In early 2010, Cyrus formed a pop band called Ashland HIGH. Cyrus provided vocals and guitar on a single entitled "French Kiss". Ashland HIGH has released demos of songs titled "Break It Down" and "Pretty Girls" on the band's MySpace page. As of 2013, Ashland HIGH has released two albums, "Geronimo" and "Drugstore Cowboy".
In 2013, he was featured in a remix version of the song "Dat Boi" by Millionaires. On October 14, 2011, Cyrus announced that he was engaged to actress Brenda Song. In June 2012, Cyrus announced that the couple had ended their relationship, however they reunited in January 2013. In March 2014, it was reported that Song removed all pictures of Cyrus from her Instagram account, suggesting that the couple had split once again.
- Cyrus, Miley. Breakout liner notes.
- Heilbron, Alexandra (24 August 2011). "Miley Cyrus' brother knocks up Disney star". Tribute.ca. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- Express Movies (25 February 2016). "Trace Cyrus turns 27: Rare, adorable photos of Metro Station guitarist and girlfriend Brenda Song". News Express. News Express. Archived from the original on 26 February 2016. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- Stritof, Sheri & Bob. "Leticia Finley and Billy Ray Cyrus Marriage Profile". About.com. Retrieved 2008-06-16.
- Tan, Michelle (July 2, 2007). "My Girl". People. Retrieved January 1, 2009.
Tish's kids from a previous relationship, Brandi, 20, and Trace, 18, whom Billy Ray adopted as tots
- Brown, August (February 15, 2008). "Another Cyrus, another career". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved June 16, 2008.
- Harris, Chris; Christina Garibaldi (June 11, 2008). "Metro Station's Trace Cyrus Isn't Standing In The Shadow Of Half-Sister Miley". MTV. Retrieved June 16, 2008.
- "Trace Cyrus: 'Ink, Not Mink," peta2.com, accessed 19 November 2012.
- "Boys Like Girls & Good Charlotte Ready to Co-Headline the Soundtrack Of Your Summer Tour With Special Guests Metro Station & The Maine". Reuters. May 12, 2008. Retrieved June 17, 2009.
- "Ashland HIGH on MySpace". MySpace. Retrieved April 30, 2010.
- Lancaster, Elizabeth (12 August 2014). "Miley Cyrus' Big Brother Rejoins Metro Station: Hear Their Comeback Single". Archived from the original on 15 August 2014. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- Villa, Lucas (14 August 2014). "Metro Station Returns with Trace Cyrus and Mason Musso in 'Love & War' Video". AXS. AXS. Archived from the original on 10 March 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- Sharp, Tyler (17 June 2015). "Metro Station announce 18-track 'Savior' mixtape". AltPress.com. Alternative Press. Archived from the original on 13 July 2015. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- Twitter (October 14, 2011). "I am very excited to say". Twitter. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- Liz Raftery (June 11, 2012). "Trace Cyrus, Brenda Song Call Off Engagement". People. Retrieved October 2, 2015.
-  Archived January 6, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Trace Cyrus on Twitter: "I wanna tell the world about u just so they can get jealous."". Twitter. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- Diaz, Amber. "Brenda Song Removes Trace Cyrus Pictures from Her Instagram". FashionStyle.com. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Trace Cyrus.|