Neil Timothy Helson
February 24, 1989
Ashland, Kentucky, U.S.
|Partner(s)||Brenda Song (2010–2017)|
|Parent(s)||Billy Ray Cyrus (father)|
Tish Cyrus (mother)
|Relatives||Ron Cyrus (grandfather)|
Miley Cyrus (sister)
Noah Cyrus (sister)
Brandi Cyrus (sister)
|Origin||Burbank, California, U.S.|
Trace Dempsey Cyrus (born Neil Timothy Helson; February 24, 1989) is an American musician. The son of country singer Billy Ray Cyrus and brother of recording artists Miley Cyrus and Noah Cyrus, he is the backing vocalist and guitarist of the band Metro Station, with time out between 2010 and 2014. In 2010, he began providing vocals and guitar in the pop rock band Ashland HIGH. He also owns the clothing company From Backseats to Bedrooms.
Cyrus was born in Ashland, Kentucky, as Neil Timothy Helson. His mother is Leticia "Tish" Cyrus. His biological father is Baxter Neal Helson. He was adopted when young by Billy Ray Cyrus, his mother's second husband, and lived with them part of the time in Thompson's Station, Tennessee. Upon his adoption, his name was legally changed to Trace Dempsey Cyrus.
Cyrus spent his school holidays touring and performing with Billy Ray. He has a younger sister, Miley, who starred in the Disney Channel original television series Hannah Montana. He recorded a track with her on an album prepared in 2008.
In 2006, he started working at a shopping mall in Burbank, California, and dropped out of La Cañada High School. Cyrus has added many tattoos on his arms and chest. He also has the words "stay gold" tattooed on his knuckles. He displayed these designs for PETA's "Ink Not Mink" anti-fur campaign in 2012.
2006–2010: Metro Station
In 2006, Cyrus co-wrote a song called "Country Music Has the Blues," which was a track on Billy Ray's 2006 album Wanna Be Your Joe. The song features guest appearances by Loretta Lynn and George Jones. Cyrus was a guitarist and vocalist in the pop rock band Metro Station. He started the band with Mason Musso in early 2006 when their mothers set them up to do a jam together. Musso's brother Mitchel was a Hannah Montana cast member. Columbia Records signed the band after an intern at the record label saw their MySpace page. Cyrus appeared with Musso on MTV's Total Request Live on June 9, 2008. Their band, along with The Maine, were the two special guest acts on the 2008 Soundtrack of Your Summer Tour, co-headlined by Boys Like Girls and Good Charlotte. Metro Station parted ways in early 2010.
In 2008, Cyrus featured in the song "Hovering" on Miley's album, Breakout in the Deluxe Edition. Also in 2008, he appeared in the music video for the song "Somebody Said a Prayer" for the lead single for Billy Ray's album, Back to Tennessee. In 2010, he was featured in the song, "Alive" for Billy Ray's band, Brother Clyde.
2010–present: Ashland HIGH and return to Metro Station
In early 2010, Cyrus formed a pop band called Ashland HIGH. Cyrus provided vocals and guitar on a single entitled "French Kiss". Ashland HIGH has released demos of songs titled "Break It Down" and "Pretty Girls" on the band's MySpace page. In 2013, he was featured in a remix version of the song "Dat Boi" by Millionaires. As of 2013, Ashland HIGH has released two albums, "Geronimo" and "Drugstore Cowboy".
- Cyrus, Miley. Breakout liner notes.
- Heilbron, Alexandra (24 August 2011). "Miley Cyrus' brother knocks up Disney star". Tribute.ca. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- Express Movies (25 February 2016). "Trace Cyrus turns 27: Rare, adorable photos of Metro Station guitarist and girlfriend Brenda Song". News Express. News Express. Archived from the original on 26 February 2016. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- Stritof, Sheri & Bob. "Leticia Finley and Billy Ray Cyrus Marriage Profile". About.com. Retrieved 2008-06-16.
- Tan, Michelle (July 2, 2007). "My Girl". People. Retrieved January 1, 2009.
Tish's kids from a previous relationship, Brandi, 20, and Trace, 18, whom Billy Ray adopted as tots
- Brown, August (February 15, 2008). "Another Cyrus, another career". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved June 16, 2008.
- Harris, Chris; Christina Garibaldi (June 11, 2008). "Metro Station's Trace Cyrus Isn't Standing In The Shadow Of Half-Sister Miley". MTV. Retrieved June 16, 2008.
- "Boys Like Girls & Good Charlotte Ready to Co-Headline the Soundtrack Of Your Summer Tour With Special Guests Metro Station & The Maine". Reuters. May 12, 2008. Retrieved June 17, 2009.
- "Ashland HIGH on MySpace". MySpace. Retrieved April 30, 2010.
- Lancaster, Elizabeth (12 August 2014). "Miley Cyrus' Big Brother Rejoins Metro Station: Hear Their Comeback Single". Archived from the original on 15 August 2014. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- Villa, Lucas (14 August 2014). "Metro Station Returns with Trace Cyrus and Mason Musso in 'Love & War' Video". AXS. AXS. Archived from the original on 10 March 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- Sharp, Tyler (17 June 2015). "Metro Station announce 18-track 'Savior' mixtape". AltPress.com. Alternative Press. Archived from the original on 13 July 2015. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- Cyrus, Trace [@TraceCyrus] (October 14, 2011). "I am very excited to say, last week I asked my girlfriend Brenda Song to marry me and she said YES! We are both very excited to be engaged!" (Tweet). Retrieved March 7, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Raftery, Liz (June 11, 2012). "Trace Cyrus, Brenda Song Call Off Engagement". People. Retrieved March 7, 2019.
- http://www.disneydreaming.com/2013/01/02/trace-cyrus-and-brenda-song-are-back-together/Archived January 6, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
- Cyrus, Trace [@TraceCyrus] (January 2, 2013). "I wanna tell the world about u just so they can get jealous" (Tweet). Retrieved March 7, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Trace Cyrus Drops Breakup Song About Ex Brenda Song on Valentine's Day". E! Online. February 15, 2018. Retrieved 2019-11-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Trace Cyrus.|