La Costa Canyon High School
|La Costa Canyon High School|
1 Maverick Way
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Rival||Torrey Pines High School|
La Costa Canyon High School (LCCHS) is a high school in the San Dieguito Union High School District. Located on 88 acres (360,000 m²) in south Carlsbad in northwest San Diego County, La Costa Canyon opened in September, 1996. The students attending La Costa Canyon live in Encinitas and south Carlsbad.
1,935 students were enrolled at La Costa Canyon High School in 2017-2018. The pupil-teacher ratio is 27:1. The average SAT score in 2016-2017 was 1200. The average ACT score was 25.2 for 2017-2018. Approximately 95% of the students are college bound. The student body is 75.1% Caucasian, 16% Hispanic, 3.4% Asian, 1% Filipino, 0.9% African-American, 0.3% Pacific Islander, 0.2% American Indian or Alaska Native, 3.1% Two or More Races.
The faculty consists of a principal, three assistant principals, four counselors, a media-specialist, and over 125 certificated staff members. Approximately 88% have degrees beyond a bachelor's degree.
Speech and debate
As a member of the Southern California National Forensic League District, La Costa Canyon is ranked within the top four hundred speech and debate teams in the nation. Its tournament, the San Diego Winter Classic, is a Tournament of Champions qualifier for Policy Debate and Public Forum Debate and a National Individual Events Tournament of Champions qualifier for Original Oratory, Dramatic Interpretation, Duo Interpretation, and Humorous Interpretation. With multiple nationally ranked speakers and debaters, La Costa Canyon has advanced students at the national tournament in a variety of events, including Public Forum Debate, Lincoln-Douglas Debate, Policy Debate, Congressional Debate, Original Oratory, and Humorous Interpretation. La Costa Canyon also advanced its first student, Brennan Caruthers, to the Tournament of Champions in the 2012-2013 school year. The courses offered are Policy Debate, Lincoln-Douglas Debate, and Speech.
La Costa Canyon offers a highly competitive full men's and/or women's athletic program in the following sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Lacrosse, Marching Band, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Rugby, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, and Wrestling. Surfing and Table Tennis are club sports available to LCCHS students. La Costa Canyon has many teams ranked highly on both a national and statewide level and has produced numerous CIF division champions.
A FIRST Robotics Competition Team was founded at La Costa Canyon in 2014-2015. Team 5514, the "MavBots", received a rookie team grant from NASA and sponsorship from Nordson Corporation to get the program started and won the Rookie Inspiration Award at the 2015 San Diego Regional. As of the 2018-2019 school year, the MavBots have over 30 team members working with 6 adult mentors.
The Maverick Brigade is the La Costa Canyon High School marching band and color guard, the only marching band in the San Dieguito Union High School District. They compete in the Southern California School Band and Orchestra Association circuit.
This section does not cite any sources. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Eric Avila, soccer player for Orlando City of Major League Soccer
- Chase Budinger, former NBA player for the, Houston Rockets, Indiana Pacers, Minnesota Timberwolves
- Phillip Evans, baseball player for New York Mets
- Cubbie Fink, former bassist for Foster the People
- Ryan Guy, soccer player
- Karsta Lowe, Olympic volleyball player on 2016 United States women's national volleyball team
- Erik Magnuson, NFL football player for the San Francisco 49ers
- Mickey Moniak, baseball player selected 1st overall, Philadelphia Phillies in 2016 MLB Draft
- Kevin O'Connell, former NFL player, Offensive Coordinator Washington Redskins
- Vinny Perretta, former NFL player for the Minnesota Vikings
- David Quessenberry, former NFL football player for the Houston Texans
- Scott Quessenberry, NFL football player for the Los Angeles Chargers
- Kenny Stills, NFL football player for the Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints
- Joe Toledo, former NFL football player for the Miami Dolphins, San Diego Chargers, Green Bay Packers, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, Philadelphia Eagles
- Haley Webb, actress
- Andrew Briedis, writer
- "Enrollment by School - Student & School Data Files (Downloadable) (CA Dept of Education)". www.cde.ca.gov. Retrieved 2018-11-19.
- "Profile 2018-19" (PDF). 2 November 2018. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- "2017-18 Enrollment by Ethnicity". Nces.ed.gov. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- "LA COSTA CANYON HIGH SCHOOL SELF-STUDY REPORT" (PDF). October 2017. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- "Press Release: SDUHSD Interim Administrative Changes for 2018-19" (PDF). 6 August 2018. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- "18-19 Admin Duties" (PDF). Retrieved November 26, 2014.
- David McGinnes (April 3, 2013). "Tournament of Champion At Larges Announced". nsdupdate.com. Retrieved August 5, 2019.