Lega Serie B
|Number of teams||22|
|Level on pyramid||2|
|Promotion to||Lega Serie A|
|Relegation to||Lega Pro|
|Most championships||Atalanta and Genoa (6 titles)|
|2013–14 Serie B|
The Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie B (Italian for National League of Professionals Serie B), commonly known as Lega Serie B (Serie B League), is the governing body that runs the second tier of professional football competitions in Italy, the Serie B.
It was founded on 7 July 2010, following a split between Serie A and Serie B clubs, which led to the dissolution of the Lega Calcio and creation of two new leagues, the Lega Serie A and Lega Serie B respectively. Since April 2011, Lega Serie B has joined the European Professional Football Leagues association.
There are 22 clubs in Serie B. During the course of a season (generally from August to May) each club plays the others twice (a double round robin system), once at their home stadium and once at that of their opponents, for a total of 42 games. Teams receive three points for a win and one point for a draw; no points are awarded for a loss. Teams are ranked by total points; the club with the most points is crowned champion at the end of each season. If two teams are equal on points, they're ranked by points scored in head-to-head matches, then by goal difference in said games, then by goal difference in all games and then by total numbers of goals scored. If still equal, teams are deemed to occupy the same position. However, if following the application of the above-mentioned tiebreaker criteria there is still a tie for the championship, for relegation, or for qualification to the play–offs, positions will be decided by drawing of lots. The two higher placed teams, plus the winner of play-offs involving the third to sixth placed clubs, are promoted to the Serie A, while the bottom three teams from Serie A are relegated in their stead. At the lower end of the table, the three bottom clubs, along with the loser of play-offs involving the 18th and 19th placed teams, are relegated to the Lega Pro Prima Divisione, with four sides from said league joining Serie B in their place.
List of Lega Serie B presidents
- "La Serie bwin su SKY". legaserieb.it (in Italian) (Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie B). 5 August 2010. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- "Serie bwin su Mediaset Premium: istruzioni per l'uso". legaserieb.it (in Italian) (Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie B). 6 April 2011. Retrieved 4 September 2011.
- "La nuova identità della Serie B". legaseriea.it (in Italian) (Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie A). 5 July 2010. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- "Serie A to form breakaway league". news.bbc.co.uk (British Broadcasting Corporation). 30 April 2009. Retrieved 7 July 2010.
- "La Lega Serie B entra nella EPFL". legaserieb.it (in Italian) (Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie B). 1 April 2011. Retrieved 4 September 2011.
- "Comunicato ufficiale n. 28/a" (PDF) (in Italian). Federazione Italiana Giuoco Calcio. 18 July 2008. Retrieved 3 July 2010.
- "Comunicato ufficiale N.2" (PDF). legaserieb.it (in Italian) (Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie B). 20 July 2010. Retrieved 8 August 2010.