Leonard L. Bembry
|Member of the Florida House of Representatives
from the 10 district
|Born||August 24, 1947|
Early life, education, and early career
Bembry was born in Jasper, Florida, and he attended North Florida Community College and Florida State University. He earned an NFCC Outstanding Alumni. He is a member of the Florida Manufactured Housing Association, Florida Legislators' Sportsmen's Caucus (House Co-Chair), Habitat for Humanity, Madison County Development Council, Madison Cattlemen's Association, Madison County Farm Bureau, NRA, and National Wild Turkey Federation.
Florida House of Representatives
When incumbent State Representative Will S. Kendrick of Florida's 10th House District decided to retire in 2008, Bembry decided to run. He defeated Julie S. Conley in the Democratic primary 58%-42%. In the general election, he defeated Don Curtis 54%-46%. In 2010, he won re-election with 59% of the vote.
He was first elected to the Legislature in November 2008. He succeeds term limited Republican Representative Will Kendrick of Carrabelle, Florida. Acknowledging Florida's budgetary crisis, he said the priority should be to take care of state employees.
- HB 689 - "Debtors and Creditors: Requires lenders or creditors to verify identity of persons applying for loans, credit cards, or extensions of credit; provides that knowing & willful use of personal identifying information of another individual creates rebuttable presumption; provides for forfeiture of future indebtedness for failure to verify applicant's identity."
- HB 929 - "Payments in Lieu of Taxes: Provides that counties, municipalities, school districts, & specified independent special districts shall receive payments in lieu of taxes as result of implementation of amendments to State Constitution providing ad valorem tax exemption for real property dedicated in perpetuity for conservation purposes"
- HB 1421 - "Searchable Budget Database Website: Creates "Taxpayer Transparency Act"; requires Auditor General & Deparatment of Revenue to create searchable budget database website for access to information relating to appropriation & expenditure of state funds; specifies factors to be used to search site" 
- Agriculture & Natural Resources Policy Committee (Democratic Ranking Member)
- Economic Development Policy Committee
- Natural Resources Appropriations Committee
- State & Community Colleges & Workforce Policy Committee
2012 congressional election
In May 2011, he filed to run in Florida's 2nd congressional district, currently held by freshman U.S. Congressman Steve Southerland. He said "Steve Southerland has not delivered on the political promises he made in 2010 to create jobs, change Washington, DC, and bring practical solutions that will put Floridians back to work and tackle the tough challenges we face.” The Blue Dog Coalition of the U.S. House of Representatives endorsed him in December 2011.
He lives in Greenville, Florida with his wife Susan Bembry. His children are Lori L. Weldon, Missy Culp, Kipp Bembry, Jr. His hobbies includes boating, exercise, farming activities, fishing, hunting, snow skiing, spending time with family, and water skiing.
- "FL State House 010 - D Primary Race - Aug 26, 2008". Our Campaigns. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- "FL State House 010 Race - Nov 04, 2008". Our Campaigns. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- "FL State House 010 Race - Nov 02, 2010". Our Campaigns. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- "Who's who and new." St. Petersburg Times. November 23, 2008. Online. November26, 2008.
- Cottrell, Bill. "Legislators brace for deep budget cuts, vow to protect state workers." The Tallassee Democrat. November 17, 2008. Online. November 23, 2008.
- "Leonard Bembry". Ballotpedia. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- Nov 17th, 2011 by Submitted. (2011-11-17). "Leonard Bembry to Challenge Steve Southerland for Congress – Greene Publishing, Inc". Greenepublishing.com. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- "POLITICO Morning Score". Politico.Com. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- "Florida House of Representatives - Leonard L. Bembry". Myfloridahouse.gov. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Category:Leonard Bembry.|