New Zealand Residents rugby league team
|Governing body||New Zealand Rugby League|
|Head coach||Rod Ratu|
The New Zealand Residents (also previously known as New Zealand 'A', New Zealand XIII, the Lion Red Cup XIII and currently known as the Bartercard Premiership Selection) are a New Zealand rugby league football representative side that is selected from players competing in domestic competitions.
In 1977 Dane Sorensen became the first New Zealander to be selected for the New Zealand Kiwis while based overseas. Before this date all New Zealand national sides were made up of residents. In 1993 the first Kiwis team took the field that was made up entirely of overseas based players and, since 1994, no domestic based players have been selected for the national side (with the exception of New Zealand/Auckland Warriors players).
In 1994, then Kiwi coach Frank Endacott led a New Zealand Residents side on a tour of Australia.
In 1996 New Zealand XIII participated in the Pacific Challenge and, as the Lion Red Cup XIII, drew in a match against the touring Great Britain side and defeated the touring Papua New Guinea side.
New Zealand 'A', coached by Gary Kemble, toured the United States and France in 2002 and, led by Ged Stokes, Great Britain in 2003. These two touring sides featured many players who would go on to have professional careers, including George Carmont, David Fa'alogo, Fuifui Moimoi, Tevita Latu, Phillip Leuluai and Hutch Maiava.
Since then team has reverted to being known as the New Zealand Residents, with a New Zealand 'A' taking the field in 2006 made up of overseas based professional players.
In 2006 the New Zealand Residents, coached by David Lomax, competed in a Trans Tasman Quadrangular Series against the Queensland Residents, New South Wales Country and a Jim Beam Cup selection. The Residents won this series. The Residents then played the New Zealand Kiwis in a warm up match for the 2006 Tri-Nations. The senior side won 34-4.
The Residents have also competed in the World Sevens.
2016- NZ RESIDENCE VS MAORI XIII - Game played in HUNTLY N.Z 15/10/2016
FINAL SCORE - Nz residence Win 30-10
The Residents side will play a New Zealand Māori XIII on 15 October 2016. The Residents will be coached by Rod Ratu assistant coach Andrew Auimatagi, trainer Jason McCarthy and manager Alana Lockhorst and include; Uila Aiolupo, Jethro Friend, Roman Hifo, Paulos Latu, Alan Niulevu, Raymond Talimalie, Taylor bear (Counties Manukau Stingrays), Tevin Arona, Chris Bamford, James Baxendale, Phil Nati, Nathan Saumalu, Matthew Sauni (Canterbury Bulls), Siua Otunuku, Daniel Palavi, Tevita Satae (Akarana Falcons) and Nick Read (Waikato).
- Coffey and Wood The Kiwis: 100 Years of International Rugby League ISBN 1-86971-090-8
- Pacific Cup and Challenge details The Vault
- Part-time Kiwis embarrass substandard Lions The Independent, 11 October 1996
- Potent centres will test PNG Potent centres will test PNG , 29 September 1996
- 1998 Test Selections rugbyleague.co.nz
- Kiwi touring squad lose to France Totalrl.com, 29 September 2003.
- Hilton could miss Warrington finale The Independent, 16 September 2003
- 2003 NZ 'A' Archived 2007-09-11 at Archive.is nzrl.co.nz
- 2002 NZ A Archived 2008-07-18 at Archive.is nzrl.co.nz
- Australian Invitational v New Zealand 'A' nzrl.co.nz
- Rangers Bowed in Opening Battle Archived 2009-09-25 at the Wayback Machine. QRL.com, Accessed 2 August 2009
- Trans Tasman Grand Final nzrl.co.nz
- "Calendar nurtures trans-Tasman talent". nzrl.co.nz. 22 March 2016. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- "Ratu in charge of strong Residents side".