List of Mediterranean countries
The Mediterranean countries are those that surround the Mediterranean Sea. Twenty sovereign countries in Southern Europe, the Levant and North Africa regions border the sea itself, in addition to two island nations completely located in it (Malta and Cyprus).
While not having a coastline in the Mediterranean, Portugal, Andorra, San Marino, Vatican City, Kosovo, Serbia, Bulgaria, North Macedonia, Romania, Mauritania, Western Sahara and Jordan are often included on the list of Mediterranean countries. Such classification is mostly based on their geographical, economic, geopolitical, historical, ethnic and cultural (language, art, music, cuisine) ties to the region as a whole. Other factors include climate and flora.
List of countries
Below is the list of the countries and territories bordering the Mediterranean, listed clockwise from Gibraltar on the southern tip of the Iberian Peninsula:
- Southern European coast, from west to east
- Gibraltar (a British Overseas Territory)
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Northern Cyprus (de facto, disputed)
- Republic of Cyprus
- Levantine coast, from north to south
- Northern African coast, from east to west
- "The Countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea". www.mediterranean-yachting.com.
- "Tourism in the Mediterranean". UN-WTO. Retrieved 15 March 2021.
- "The Countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea". mediterranean-yachting.com. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- "International Committee of Mediterranean Games". cijm.org. Retrieved 15 March 2021.
- Adamo, Katia; Garonna, Paolo. "Euro-Mediterranean Integration and Cooperation" (PDF). unece.org. Retrieved 15 March 2021.