List of Mediterranean countries
The Mediterranean countries are those that surround the Mediterranean Sea. Twenty sovereign countries in Southern Europe, the Levant and North Africa regions border the Mediterranean, in addition to two island nations completely located in it (Malta and Cyprus).
While Portugal is considered a Mediterranean country, and Portuguese people are considered as Mediterranean people, in terms of culture, history, language, and climate, Portugal does not border the Mediterranean sea.
Below is the list of the countries and territories bordering the Mediterranean, listed clockwise from Gibraltar on the southern tip of the Iberian Peninsula:
- Southern European coast, from west to east
- Gibraltar (a British Overseas Territory)
- Malta (island nation)
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Levantine coast, from north to south
- Cyprus (island nation; includes the British Overseas Territory of Akrotiri and Dhekelia, and Northern Cyprus)
- Palestine (Gaza Strip)
- Northern African coast, from east to west
- The Countries bordering the Mediterranean
- The Portugal News - Portugal among Mediterranean countries with most sustainable practices in tourism
- Inside The Games - Portugal Becomes 26th Member of the Mediterranean Games
- World Wildlife Fund - The Mediterranean is Burning
- "The Countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea". mediterranean-yachting.com. Retrieved 24 March 2015.