List of Scottish Jews
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
See History of the Jews in Scotland for more information.
Academic figures and scientists
- Charlotte Auerbach, geneticist
- Philip Cohen, FRS FRSE researcher, academic and Royal Medal winner; based at St Andrews and Dundee
- David Daiches, writer and literary critic; father of Jenni Calder
- Jack David Dunitz, chemist
- Alfred Edersheim, Bible scholar
- Charles Frank, maker of scientific instruments
- Ralph Glasser, psychologist, economist, author of The Gorbals Trilogy
- Professor Sir Abraham Goldberg, Emeritus Regius Professor of the Practice of Medicine, University of Glasgow
- Philip Hobsbaum, academic and literary critic at Glasgow University; an influence on many Scottish writers as diverse as Aonghas MacNeacail and Jeff Torrington
- Peter Kravitz, editor of the compilation Contemporary Scottish Fiction; literary critic
- Stefan Reif, professor
- J. M. Robson, geneticist and physicist, lived and worked in Edinburgh
- George Sassoon, scientist, electronic engineer, linguist, translator and author; buried on Mull, where he spent much of his childhood
- Leonard Schapiro, historian
- Avivah Gottlieb Zornberg, contemporary Torah scholar and author
Arts, literature and music
- Jenni Calder, literary figure and daughter of David Daiches
- Ivor Cutler, poet, songwriter and humourist
- Hannah Frank, sculptor, studied under Benno Schotz
- Muriel Gray, author, The Tube presenter
- Jeremy Isaacs, broadcaster
- Mark Knopfler, co-founder (with brother David), lead vocalist, and lead guitarist for the band Dire Straits
- Macdonald brothers, grandsons of the Hungarian-born English filmmaker Emeric Pressburger
- Isi Metzstein, modernist architect
- Saul Metzstein, director of Late Night Shopping
- Rebecca Pidgeon, actress, singer and songwriter, grew up in Edinburgh
- Shulman brothers (Simon Dupree and the Big Sound; Gentle Giant), rock musicians, born in Glasgow
- J David Simons, author
- Muriel Spark, writer, Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
- Scottie Wilson, artist and designer, born in Glasgow
- Eric Woolfson, musician and composer, founding member of The Alan Parsons Project
Business and the professions
- Hazel Cosgrove, Lady Cosgrove, first female Court of Session judge
- Esta Henry, art and antiques dealer in the 20th century
- Sir Isaac Wolfson, businessman and philanthropist
Religious and communal leaders
- Rabbi Salis Daiches, father of David Daiches
- Rabbi Cyril Harris, Chief Rabbi of South Africa
- Rabbi Shmuel Yitzchak Hillman
- Rabbi Yaakov Benzion Mendelson
- Rabbi Nancy Morris, the first female rabbi in Scotland
- Rabbi Louis Isaac Rabinowitz
- Rabbi Naftoli Shapiro
People of Scottish-Jewish heritage / Jews of Scottish extraction
- Simon Cowell, presenter of The X Factor
- David Duchovny, American actor, X-Files
- Isla Fisher, Australian actress, born to Scottish parents, converted to Judaism upon marriage to Sacha Baron Cohen; has described herself as "quite observant"
- Oscar Hammerstein II, American lyricist, librettist, and theatrical producer
- Zarif, singer
- Jewish Year Book 1977 p20
- born in Glasgow of an anglophile [sic] Riga Jewish family. Concise Dictionary of National Biography.
- "Muriel Gray: Overview of Muriel Gray". Scottish-places.info. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- "Rebecca Pidgeon Biography (1963?-)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- Deborah Andrews (1992). Annual Obituary, 1991. St. James Pr. ISBN 1-55862-175-X. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- "Feature article". culham.ac.uk.
- Freedland, Michael (16 September 2005). "Rabbi Cyril Harris". The Guardian.
- The Sunday Herald interview of Rabbi Morris upon her appointment at Glasgow New Synagogue, dated 14 December 2003[dead link]
- Jewish Chronicle, 28 September 2005, Diary p. 66, "Could there a hint of racial stereotyping in the Almeida's decision to cast two Jewish actors – Ronni Ancona and Henry Goodman – in its upcoming production of The Hypochondriac?"
- Mcgivern, Mark (22 November 2006). "Mr. Nasty's Mum Defends 'Those Nice McDonald Bros.'". The Daily Record. Retrieved 11 June 2007.
- "David Duchovny DuchovnyNet – Article: A Man and His 'X'". Duchovny.net. 26 October 1997. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "David Duchovny DuchovnyNet – Article: Cult Times 1997". Duchovny.net. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
-  Archived 12 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Isla Fisher maintains she is not a shopaholic | Fashion | Style & Beauty | The Hour | STV Programmes". Video.stv.tv. 19 February 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "Fisher to marry Baron Cohen 'soon'". Hull Daily Mail. 13 January 2009. Retrieved 13 January 2009.
- Das, Lina (8 February 2008). "Isla Fisher: My husband Borat is so tall he makes me look like a circus freak". Daily Mail. Retrieved 18 February 2008.
- Hellard, Peta (3 September 2007). "Isla Fisher's pregnant pause". NEWS.com.au. Retrieved 18 February 2008.
- Lipworth, Elaine (19 February 2009). "Fisher: I'm addicted to breastfeeding". Metro. Retrieved 19 February 2009.
- theguardian.co.uk New Band of the Day 448: Zarif