List of To Love-Ru characters
The Japanese anime and manga series To Love-Ru and its sequel To Love-Ru Darkness, written by Saki Hasemi and illustrated by Kentaro Yabuki, features an extensive cast of characters. Each character's profile is based more on the manga than the anime adaptation. Many of the characters also make a cameo appearance in the manga version of Mayoi Neko Overrun!.
- 1 Main characters
- 2 Secondary characters
- 3 Supporting characters
- 4 Other characters
- 5 References
- Rito Yuuki (結城 リト(梨斗) Yūki Rito)
- Voiced by: Akeno Watanabe
- Rito is a 16 year-old high-school student and the protagonist of the series. Rito used to be on the soccer team in junior high and was quite good, but quit because he was constantly helping his father with his manga artist duties, thus did not want to leave his sister Mikan alone in the house. Mikan comments he is very good at the most "useless little things", like crane and festival games (e.g. hoops, catching fish, squirt guns). Along with the numerous useless little things Rito is good at, he is also an accomplished florist, gardener, and horticulturalist.
- Rito is extremely kind, selfless, caring, charismatic, and thoughtful, having a lot of respect for women, though mostly by intention, and not so much by success. Due to his shyness around girls, he is very clumsy around women and has great difficulty maintaining his composure around any sort of stimulating situation, which leads him to always molest or grope the many girls in the series (though mostly unintentionally). Due to the otherworldly circumstances around him, Rito is always put, along with many different girls, in any and each type of awkward, intimate, and embarrassing situations, such as when he and Haruna were once teleported naked together to the basement of Ryouko's medical clinic because of one of Lala's faulty inventions, or when Lala used the same invention to send them naked to the school.
- Even without interference from Lala's inventions, Oshizu's psychic powers, or Celine jumping into his face, Rito is somehow able to trip over absolutely nothing, and possesses an extraordinary skill in accidentally reaching his hands or face into the breasts or other private parts of any girl within reach when he is falling. In To Love-Ru Darkness, his clumsiness becomes even more frequent and violating as well as strangely inventive and surreal. He has shown to be able to accomplish difficult feats, such as reaching his hands or various objects into the clothing and undergarments of girls or partially strip off their clothing, and also grab several private parts of several girls all at once, all of which being purely by accident. Ryouko suspects that Rito's frequent godly indecency and unwitting perverted acts manifest because of the way Rito extremely restrained himself with the girls, causing his "libido" to accumulate and release in form of accidentally groping girls' bodies and all other perverted stuffs happening so far, calling it the "Cataplectic Indecency Syndrome". She also believes that the more he suppresses it, the more extreme and unbelievable the "accidents" will be.
- It is only by accident that he encounters Lala, and despite his enduring feelings for Haruna, Rito shows signs of developing deeper affection towards Lala throughout the story but is unsure if what he feels is actually love. At the end of the series, he confesses to Lala, but tells her he also loves Haruna, yet she is happy on both parts. He is confused as polygamy is illegal in Japan where Lala replied that once he is king of the universe the laws of earth no longer apply. By the end of the Darkness manga, Rito earns Haruna's mutual feelings; in addition to Lala, Run, Yami, and Momo. The ending implies that his love troubles will continue on forever.
- Riko Yuusaki (夕崎 梨子 Yūsaki Riko)
- Voiced by: Akeno Watanabe
- As Riko Yuusaki, his female alter-ego, she is a beautiful girl (with a physical appearance resembling a tomboy) who gets much attention from men, such as Motemitsu, the perverted principal, and even Saruyama, Rito's best friend. Later, Saruyama falls in love with "Riko-chan" and asks Lala to invite her for a date; out of pity, she forcefully changes Rito into "Riko" so Saruyama can go on a date with Riko. After that Riko only appears for short number of times at rare occasions. Her last appearance was in Chapter 74 of Darkness manga, when Nemesis changed her gender through boy-girl change kun.
Lala Satalin Deviluke
- Lala Satalin Deviluke (ララ・サタリン・デビルーク Rara Satarin Debirūku)
- Voiced by: Haruka Tomatsu
- Lala is the first princess of Deviluke, whose family rules the Galaxy. As such, her hand in marriage is sought from across the Galaxy as she is (presumably) the successor to the Galaxy's throne. A rather childish girl, she is somewhat naïve regarding the culture and customs on Earth. Lala initially runs away from home, as she does not wish to get married to any of her suitors, and due to an accident, ends up naked in Rito's bathtub. Upon arriving on Earth, Lala pretends to love Rito to keep herself from getting married, but really does fall in love with him after she misinterprets a statement that Rito shouts that was meant for Haruna. Although Lala appears to be somewhat airheaded, she is well known on Deviluke for her genius-level intellect and enjoys making all manners of inventions, often prompting some disastrous effect or another.
- Throughout the series, she frequently tries to get Rito to love her, although her grand gestures generally end up putting Rito and company in embarrassing situations. Although Rito frequently chastises her for causing embarrassing and otherwise troublesome incidents, Lala rarely shows any form of negativity towards him and even states it is impossible for her to hate him (The only exception to this is when she gets a disease from another planet causing her to change moods, making her mood change to angry and upon the third day Rito is awakened by Lala in her room, with Lala first stating "why are you startled by the sight of me?" and then Lala simply stating, "Just to let you know, I didn't watch you in your sleep." And then stating "I made a boxed lunch for you, but don't get the wrong idea, I simply made a extra lunch." Though some people would look at Lala as a typical tsundere as her actions very resemble much of one.) Even after finding out that he was in love with Haruna as well, she instead cheered and stated that they could both marry him.
- Eccentric, playful and intelligent, Lala isn't shy (due to being bathed and dressed by numerous servants while growing up,) to a point where it feels almost natural for her to be in the nude (the only exception of this occurs when Lala catches a personality changing fever from another planet, making her very shy), although she will cover herself up in front of those she really dislikes such as Lepescu. Like all citizens from Deviluke, Lala's physical abilities vastly exceeds that of a human (in one instance, she manages to blow away a typhoon just by shouting) and has a distinctive tail with a shape of a spade on the end that can shoot a destructive beam. Oddly, her tail is very sensitive, causing her friends to nickname it her "weakness" (all female Devilukeans' tails are more sensitive than a male's) despite being able to throw Run and Saki to a wall while they mess with it. Unfortunately, Lala is bad at cooking. The food she cooks is either inedible or extremely spicy. While the fact that Lala is an alien is initially a secret, it becomes common knowledge relatively soon after her arrival with no one making a big deal about it. According to Ringo, Lala's measurements are B89, W57, H87.
- Peke (ペケ)
- Voiced by: Satomi Arai, Aki Toyosaki (Motto To Love Ru)
- Lala's all costume robot, who acts as a module to form her clothing. Peke is exceptionally devoted to Lala and has the ability to shapeshift into any kind of clothing for her to wear, but this also drains her power supply. She can also scan the clothing of people around her and duplicate those clothes. As her batteries run out, the clothing Lala wears will slowly dissolve, until it completely disappears. To recharge, Peke simply needs to sleep. Using a dress-form program, Peke has the ability to take on a human form, with the appearance of a young girl.
- Haruna Sairenji (西連寺 春菜 Sairenji Haruna)
- Voiced by: Sayuri Yahagi
- One of Rito's classmates and the girl of his affections; Haruna has similar feelings for him, having been attracted to his kind, gentle nature since junior high. Despite her growing love for Rito, which she believes to be unrequited, she usually suppresses her feelings and cannot confess to him because of her friendship with Lala, who also loves Rito. However, with some encouragement, she tells Lala of her ordeal, to which Lala accepts, claiming Haruna as her rival for Rito's heart, while remaining friends.
- She lives with her older sister in an apartment and has a severe fear of ghosts and the supernatural, the exception being Oshizu, to an extent. When frightened, she has a habit of grabbing the nearest thing around her – typically Rito – and swinging wildly, in an attempt to get rid of whatever frightens her. There is also a running gag to where Rito is about to confess to her, only for something (or someone) to come between it. A highly responsible person, Haruna's personality can sway her classmates' hearts to vote for her as their class representative, even when she did not run to be a candidate. She is affiliated with the tennis club and a southpaw. According to Mio, Haruna's measurements are B78, W55, H80.
- In To Love-Ru Darkness, Haruna's role in the manga is reduced, due to her being based on series artist Kentaro Yabuki's ex-wife, who has awarded the rights to the character in their divorce; she still frequently appears, despite this. In Darkness, Haruna seems to have grown into a covert pervert, as she is usually seen fantasizing about Rito in secret, such as him bathing her or wearing nothing but a apron to seduce him. It appears that Rito has yet to properly confess his feelings to Haruna, despite Lala pressuring him to do so and the fact he can have multiple wives if he became the King. This due to the fact he still has a monogamy viewpoint. When Rito and Haruna had been shrunk by Lala's inventions, they kiss each other (by accident). Overhearing Rito's denial of Nemesis' harem proclamation as student council president, Haruna defends him from the mob and, while hiding in a gym storage, she finally spoken her love to him, which he returns them; she is the third female character to confess her love to Rito. In the end, as Rito decides not to go forward on this, Haruna accepts and decides to wait for his answer.
- Mikan Yuuki (結城 美柑 Yūki Mikan)
- Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa
- Rito's independent and reliable 12-year-old sister, Mikan takes care of the housework while their parents are away on business and watches after Celine. In contrast to her brother, she is very mature and does not hesitate to tease him, going as far as stating they aren't blood-related, but quickly retracting the statement, playing it off as a lie. Mikan also seems to have a certain lack of respect for Rito because of this (she hardly ever addresses him by his honorific as an older brother), but does refer to him as "Onii-chan" as thanks for trying so hard to take care of her when she develops a fever and when he gives her a Christmas present.
- Mikan may not show it, but she cares very deeply for Rito and misses his company, to the point one could suspect her of having a brother complex. This is more evident in the second OVA where she wonders if he would marry her if they were not blood related, and in the manga where she blushes every time another character mentions her brother, and also in the 5th OVA where after being hit by the pollen she tries to molest him while affectionately calling him "Onii-chan". Her brother complex may be the reason she rarely calls Rito "Onii-chan"; less a lack of respect and more a sign of her wish that their relationship was something other than that of a brother and sister. She also states how she and Rito used to play together before Lala entered their lives. It is later revealed that Mikan is terrified of thunder and lightning (and that Rito would always comfort her).
- Mikan grows quite attached to Golden Darkness, perhaps due to Darkness seemingly being the same age as her. Mikan is very perceptive and seems to be able to read people's emotions, even their reactions, most of which is Rito's obvious anxiety around Haruna and Yui's subtle feelings for him. Mikan even calls him a "playboy" (as does Nana) for attracting so many girls all of a sudden. Mikan, however, does respect Rito's relationship with Lala, even going so far as to tell Momo not to get too close to Rito for Lala's sake, although it is fairly obvious that she could have done this out of jealousy from how close Momo was getting to Rito.
- Golden Darkness (金色の闇 Konjiki no Yami)
- Voiced by: Misato Fukuen
- A dispassionate, withdrawn assassin, Golden Darkness was hired by one of Lala Satalin Deviluke's prospective suitors, Lacospo, to kill Lala's fiancé Rito Yuuki. She breaks the contract after noting Rito's true nature. Golden Darkness came to Earth on the Lunatique, a very fast ship (it can travel 30 million light-years in 2 hours). Golden Darkness has decided to stay on Earth, where she roams the streets of Sainan Town (彩南町 Sainan machi), purportedly to continue her mission to assassinate Rito, although she has yet to accomplish this despite numerous opportunities, hinting that she says this as an excuse to stay on Earth, which is then confirmed. Commonly referred as "Yami", she spends much of her time reading books and magazines, while eating taiyaki (it is the only thing she eats since it is the first food offered to her by Rito). By her planet's calculations, she is 24 years old, despite having the appearance of a 14-year-old (her Trans ability has slowed her aging process), although this is only mentioned in the anime. She has also a weakness to anything slimy.
- Like Lala, Golden Darkness' physical abilities are exponentially stronger than a human's. She states she hates "ecchi" people, and does not hesitate to assault a person who looks at her in an obscene way. She does though hate when people are free of her as shown in the anime as she beats Rito up after being told by Rito that he's free of her. She's capable of spinning people away if she's caught by someone's with a strong grip. She has become close to Rito's younger sister Mikan Yuuki and seems to keep an eye out for her, evident when she and Mikan switched bodies and the Principal attempted to grope her, prompting Golden Darkness (in Mikan's body) to warn him not to touch Mikan and deliver a savage beating. Though she always says she will kill Rito one day, it is becoming increasingly doubtful that she will ever do it. In fact, she seems to have begun to develop feelings for Rito. Instead of beating him and saying "I hate ecchi people" like she normally does, she blushes when Rito sees her in a swimsuit and states "Don't look at me with those ecchi eyes". This is also proven further when Golden Darkness nearly tells Rito that he can "embrace" her.
- In To Love-Ru Darkness, after some convincing from Mikan, she enrolls in the Sainan High (彩南高校) school and becomes a classmate of the main cast. Mikan is also giving her cooking lessons. Despite her normal stoic appearance, it is obvious that she does care for Rito, and is shown to be developing further feelings for him, although not enough to forgo the occasional beating when he becomes "Ecchi". Her new life may already be in jeopardy when Mea Kurosaki, a fellow classmate, is revealed to be her 'little sister', suggesting that she will have to return to space and fulfill her contract to kill Rito. It is revealed that Golden Darkness's creator is the Sainan High teacher Tearju Lunatique, and that her given name is "Eve". When Golden Darkness' former rival Azenda hires the alien hitman Kuro to kill Rito, she rescues him from Kuro before she confesses her love to him, making her the second female heroine to convey to Rito.
- She is based on Eve from Black Cat, as they both look the same and can turn any part of their bodies into a weapon; they are even voiced by the same actress Misato Fukuen in their respective animes. Also, there's a chapter in To Love-Ru in which Golden Darkness tries on a black dress similar to the one that Eve wears in the final chapters of Black Cat.
- Kentaro Yabuki initially illustrated Black Cat between 2000-2004, then assisted Saki Hasemi with his manga project To Love-Ru. They agreed that a character featured in To Love-Ru would be based on one of the protagonists in Black Cat, which ended up being Eve. Her character was recognized for being extremely similar to Eve and is currently one of the most popular characters in the series. Fans also debate whether she could have her own series.
- Yui Kotegawa (古手川 唯 Kotegawa Yui)
- Voiced by: Kaori Nazuka
- An uptight, high-strung girl placed in Rito's class during the second year, Yui Kotegawa has little to no tolerance for anything she does not consider to be "acceptable behavior", and in the face of any kind of "shameless" act, Yui reacts by saying her trademark phrase: "How shameless!"; ironically, despite this, she secretly desire for Rito to do them to her, which is proved during one of Rito's "accidents", when she offered herself to him on the condition that he would only ever do it with her, and even stating: "You're the only one who can do naughty things to me.". Her haughty opinions, quick temper, and habit of speaking her mind often results in her vocally reprimanding classmates.
- Yui quickly grows annoyed and disgusted by eccentricities and bizarre actions, particularly with regards to Rito and Lala. Unfortunately, almost every encounter with Rito usually ends up with her embarrassed, naked or groped (or all three), and although her nature prevents her from easing her behavior, she does slowly warm up to his usual antics. After Rito saves Yui from a group of delinquents, she develops feelings for Rito, although her inexperience with boys leaves her unable to understand her feelings and is continually in self-denial about them. And when Rito usually asks what's wrong, she says the exact opposite of what she wants to say and then hurts him in some way (a typical tsundere). In To Love-Ru Darkness, Yui seems to have adopted Rito's clumsiness, which makes her fall onto him, pull his pants down and plant her face right in his groin.
- A common gag is that some characters cannot remember Kotegawa's family name (calling her "Kokegawa" for example), presumably due to the fact she is generally an unwilling participant in Lala's frequent schemes. After Celine takes on her human like form, she becomes very close to Yui, even being seen as a daughter like figure in Yui's daydreams of her and Rito being married together. Also, she really likes cats – owning cat based books, having a stuffed cat, decorating her room with cat shaped things, shaping her chocolate into a cat's face, and even having a cat-themed floaty, something Rito seems to find cute about her. According to Mio, her measurements are B88, W59, H87.
Nana Asta Deviluke
- Nana Asta Deviluke (ナナ・アスタ・デビルーク Nana Asuta Debirūku)
- Voiced by: Kanae Itō
- Nana and Momo are Lala's younger sisters and they are also twins. They were first introduced when they have most of the characters in a virtual game world created by Lala that they subsequently modify. They claim they did this to determine the nature of their sister's friends and to test Rito's affection for Lala.
- Both Nana and Momo are currently on Earth, running away from their studies. During this time, Lala has taken it upon herself to look after them and discipline them when they do something mischievous; ironically she has done those herself. They used to live with Zastin and his cohorts, but found it too cramped and uncomfortable. To get around this and to spend more time with their big sister, they created a pocket dimension in Rito's house (it is said to be bigger than Rito's house) to live in. Like her sisters, she has a cell phone capable of transporting objects. However, instead of gadgets, Nana summons animals.
- Nana has long hair, a single visible sharp tooth and unlike her sisters, a flat chest, which is used as a recurring gag throughout the manga. She is quite jealous of Momo's chest. She understands and can talk to animals. At some point of the series To Love Ru OVA 5, Nana develops small feelings for Rito, after he saved her from Momo's plant friends. And she manages to get the courage to sleep with Rito in his bedroom while he is sleeping, but actually sees Lala and Momo sleeping with him. Nana is so far the only character to question why so many girls fall in love with Rito, yet it is clear that she has growing feelings for him as well.
- In To Love-Ru Darkness, Nana becomes a Sainan High student at Momo's urging. Nana manages to get a new friend named Mea. When she found out Mea was a weapon like Yami and that she wanted to stop "playing" friends, she became depressed and confused in the 3rd episode of To Love-Ru Darkness 2nd. After being encouraged by Rito, Nana met up with Mea again and made up when Nana said she doesn't care if Mea is a weapon or anything, she just wants to be with her and be friends. Shortly after Nana's feelings for Rito grew and tried to sneak into his bed a second time, but found out Momo was already there.
Momo Belia Deviluke
- Momo Belia Deviluke (モモ・ベリア・デビルーク Momo Beria Debirūku)
- Voiced by: Aki Toyosaki
- Momo has short hair and is generally sweeter than her twin, but develops a bad attitude whenever Nana takes credit for what she does. What gadgets are to Lala and animals are to Nana, plants are to Momo; she has a special connection with them that allows her to manipulate plants at will.
- She immediately falls in love with Rito and has a strong attraction towards him (similar to Lala's, but with a more lustful desire), stating how his facial expressions are lovely, letting him touch her tail, and even becoming more aroused when Nana refers to him as a "beast". At times, she would even sneak into Rito's bed at night, but when asked why she does that, she simply replies that she is sometimes half asleep and unintentionally ends up in Rito's bed. At one time, she nearly stated how jealous she was of Lala that Rito's hand was stuck to her tail. Her tail is also able to shoot out lightning. As her attraction to Rito grows, so does her protectiveness of him, as she will physically threaten other characters (such as Mea) with violence if she attempts to harm Rito. Like her sisters, she has a cell phone capable of transporting objects. However, instead of gadgets, Momo summons plants.
- In To Love-Ru Darkness, Momo takes over the role of the main female protagonist alongside Golden Darkness. Wanting Rito's love, but unwilling to cause conflict between her sister or Haruna, Momo realises if Rito becomes the next king of Deviluke, Earth laws will not apply to him, allowing him to create a harem where she can display her affections openly. Momo along with her sister become Sainan High's students, where Momo takes it upon herself to try to bring out the "carnivore" in Rito, which basically means his sex drive so he will take it upon himself to want to create a harem with all of the female cast. In the final chapter, Momo decides to be true to herself. She is the fourth and last heroine to confess her love to Rito.
Risa & Mio
- Risa Momioka (籾岡 里紗 Momioka Risa) & Mio Sawada (沢田 未央 Sawada Mio)
- Voiced by: Ryōka Yuzuki (Risa) and Chiemi Chiba (Mio)
- The mischievous, yet cheerful, best friends of Haruna, Risa and Mio are a pair of inseparable girls, spending as much time as they can with her and Lala, and whenever the latter inquires about Earth`s culture and habits, they divulge as much information as they can for (although it is often misleading and perverted). Risa and Mio are known for their playful habit of groping the breasts of other girls and whispering naughty things into their ears to tease them, with Haruna as their most recurring victim; they like to do this with her mainly in front of Rito, in addition to also teasing Haruna about her feelings for him. While Mio enjoys cosplay and works part-time at a maid café (to where Risa is always going to, as well), Risa is member of Sainan High's tennis club like Haruna, but she mostly skips it to do other things.
Run & Ren
- Run & Ren Elise Jewelria (ルン&レン・エルシ・ジュエリア Run & Ren Erishe Jueria)
- Voiced by: Fuyuka Ōura
- A childhood friend of Lala, Ren is infamously known for wearing girls clothing during his play dates with Lala when he was a child. He arrives on Earth to win Lala by proving he is "man enough" for her, but becomes jealous of her relationship with Rito. Due to his pursuit of her, he accidentally gives Rito his first kiss. While Ren is furious, it has an unexpected consequence towards his "alter ego". As Ren is from planet Memorze (メモルゼ Memoruze), he can change gender in mind and body upon triggering a specific stimulus. In his case, a sneeze. As a girl, Run (ルン Run) is in love with Rito, due to the kiss, and blames Lala for her misfortunes, while Ren is still in competition, albeit one-sided, with Rito for Lala's hand in marriage.
- In To Love-Ru Darkness, Run and Ren permanently separate into two different beings upon reaching adulthood, with Run confessing her love to Rito right after this happens. Currently, Run is a famous idol, having released several albums, some along with Kyouko, with whom she befriended after Run has played an antagonist on her show.
- In the anime, while Ren appears a few times, Run is the dominant personality of the two, who is more serious about her feelings towards Rito to the point of stalking him, even taking a simple misunderstanding from him into her believing all men are never serious about her feelings. In the manga, Ren appears at first as the main personality. However, later on Run becomes the dominant personality (like in the anime) with Ren usually showing up for comedic effect, or when Ren does show up he inevitably changes into Run. In To Love-Ru Troubles, it is revealed they are able to communicate with each other.
- Saki Tenjouin (天条院 沙姫 Tenjōin Saki)
- Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi
- The self-proclaimed "queen bee" of Sainan High, Saki is a pretty, popular, and rich girl who believes herself to be Lala's rival (who is totally oblivious to Saki's animosity towards her and, ironically, thinks of Saki as a good friend of hers). Due to Lala being considered prettier than her and, thus, getting more attention from the people, Saki, stating there can only be one "queen" in Sainan High, consistently tries to one-up her, going through any possible means to prove that she is better than Lala, even though her plans usually backfire and she ends up embarassing herself in many different ways; the most frequent result is she getting naked in front of a crowd.
- Saki is one of the few female characters who doesn't feel any romantic feeling toward Rito (the only exception being when she was infected by Celine's pollen and briefly fell in love with him), and it's very likely she will not end up as part of his harem, even though most of her appearances seem to only serve the purpose of being a victim to the perverted mishaps that surround him. In the anime, however, she occasionally tries to seduce Rito in order to make Lala jealous (despite not loving him). Instead of Rito, Saki has a crush on Zastin, which left her horrified to discover that he, by chance, is the personal bodyguard of Lala, but this made her even more determined to win his heart at any cost.
- Ryouko Mikado (御門 涼子 Mikado Ryōko)
- Voiced by: Masako Joh (2008-2012), Harumi Sakurai (2012-present)
- The provocative school doctor at Sainan High, Ryouko helps out other extraterrestrials on Earth in various ways, usually dealing with medical care, although she does offer her human students a variety of her own concoctions as well. Formerly an operative for a shadowy, black market extraterrestrial organization bent on overthrowing Emperor Gid, she fled to Earth in hopes of hiding from her superiors. Evidence of her non-human origins are the elf-like ears hidden by her short hair - her species has not yet been specified. Furthermore, she seems to be smitten with Rito, as shown when she asks him to rub oil on her.
- Shizu Murasame (村雨 静 Murasame Shizu)
- Voiced by: Mamiko Noto
- The ghost of a girl who died 400 years ago, Shizu is sincere, kind, and very curious about the modern world, but has a severe fear of dogs, likened to Haruna's level of fear to the supernatural. She is usually addressed as "Oshizu" (お静); the O (お) is an honorific used to refer to women. When frightened, she can emit blasts of mental stress, blowing apart various objects and surroundings, but is also capable of manipulating others through sheer willpower. A related gag is the blasts of stress frequently rip apart clothing, resulting in Rito being in an awkward situation with one of the female cast. Since her meeting with Rito and the others, she begins exploring the world outside the old school building. Oshizu is aware of Haruna's crush on Rito by her ability to sense feelings while possessing another person and becomes very supportive towards cheering Haruna into confessing her feelings to him.
- Oshizu "returns" to the living after Ryouko creates a prosthetic body for her to inhabit, built with biological qualities (looking and feeling like an actual human body). However, she occasionally "disconnects" her spirit from the body during brief moments of excitement. She currently lives with Ryouko and works as a nurse at her clinic to pay her back for the body, and also to remain close for Ryouko to maintain her physical body. In the first anime, Oshizu is not given a new body and her presence is limited, while she has her prosthetic body as she does in the manga for the OVA releases and the new anime.
- Mea Kurosaki (黒咲 芽亜(メア) Kurosaki Mea)
- Voiced by: Yuka Iguchi
- The first-year schoolgirl appears in 1st chapter of To Love-Ru Darkness. She is the classmate of Nana and Momo when they two transfer to Sainan High. Nana becomes her friend after talking to Mea about Nana's ability to understand animals' language. At the end of the second chapter of Darkness, Mea reveals to Yami that she is Yami's little sister, and possess similar powers. Mea desires for Yami to kill Rito and return to her life as an assassin instead of living a normal life on Earth. Her master calls her Mea (メア) (katakana) instead of Mea (芽亜) (kanji). After chapter 7, it appears she is starting to develop sexual feelings for Rito, and start seeing other people as friends. After Nana found out Mea was a weapon, she told her she was "playing" friends with her. However, Nana made up with her and became friends again. As Nemesis possesses Mea's body to witness Yami's ecchi-Darkness Mode, Mea managed to overcome her and break ties with Nemesis. From then on, Mea participates in Rito's harem though still cares for Nemesis.
- Nemesis (ネメシス Nemeshisu)
- Voiced by: Rina Hidaka
- The primary antagonist of To Love-Ru Darkness and Mea's boss, who is behind the plan to make Yami return to the assassins' world. She has long black hair, golden eyes, a small yet slender body, and dark skin. She has a similar appearance to Mikan and possesses the same transformation ability as Yami and Mea. It is shown that Nemesis has a bit of a sexual interest in Rito. Momo has an antagonistic personality toward her. It is then noticed by Mea in the anime of To Love-Ru Darkness that if Yami were to join Momo's harem this would force nemesis to join as well thus giving Momo an advantage.
- She knows that Yami possesses a destructive weapon called "Darkness" which, according to Tearju, is supposedly a forbidden transformation of hers. In the major battle between Nemesis and a fully reformed Gid Lucion Deviluke, Nemesis is fatally injured which would literally make her vanish until Rito takes pity on her and allows her to inhabit his body for the time-being to recover, much to Momo's chagrin. After reaching full recovery, Nemesis comes to fully understand Rito's well-being and forces application for Sainan High's new student council president to improve Rito's harem.
- Kenichi Saruyama (猿山 健一 Saruyama Ken'ichi)
- Voiced by: Hiroyuki Yoshino
- The perverted best friend of Rito, Kenichi has known him since junior high and is more open and obvious of his obsession with girls and is one of the few male characters Rito can talk to about his situations involving Haruna or Lala. He is aware of Rito's feelings for Haruna and consistently advises he get together with her. Recently, Kenichi reveals his crush on a girl named Riko, but does not realize she is actually Rito, who is accidentally transformed into a girl by one of Lala's bizarre inventions.
- Zastin (ザスティン Zasutin)
- Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu
- Lala's personal bodyguard and the best swordsman on Deviluke. Despite his skill with the sword, Zastin has a horrible sense of direction, resulting in him getting lost (one of the running gags in To Love-Ru). He also seems to have extremely bad luck, where he keeps getting run over by trains and cars. Initially, Zastin disapproves of Rito, deeming him weak and subsequently seeks to test his strength. However, once Rito exclaims his opinion of marriage in self-defense, Zastin is swayed by his words (though not in the way Rito intends) and summarily approves of him, believing he truly understands Lala's feelings.
- He is currently working as the assistant chief to Saibai; the funds he gets for his duties are handed to Lala for her use. Zastin has shown a keen interest in becoming a manga artist, professionally. He has two assistants that work under him, simply known as Maul and Smutts. Zastin's tail is thin and very scorpion-like in appearance.
- Rin Kujou (九条 凛 Kujō Rin)
- Voiced by: Mai Hashimoto
- Being one of Saki's closest friends, Rin is hardly ever seen without accompanying her and/or Aya. Rin is skilled in the kendo arts and has been the bodyguard of Saki for years, as her family has always served the Tenjouin household in this position. She is also the only person who has been able to take down Lala in one strike by throwing a vibrating bracelet onto Lala's tail incapacitating her.
- While Rin is usually calm and composed, and perhaps one of the most mature character in the series, she is also loyal, caring, and protective to Saki, being very dutiful to her job as bodyguard. These made her conflicted when Saki once ran away from home, and Rin was ordered to bring her back, even by force. But after Saki managed to settle things with her family, she and Rin were able to remain friends.
- In To Love-Ru Darkness, Rin's role in the manga is increased as she start to develop romantic feelings for Rito after he saves her from a cursed sword (with the help of Mea and Yami); Saki is completely supportive of her feelings for him, as she, frequently, sets up dates between Rin and Rito.
- Ayako Fujisaki (藤崎 綾 Fujisaki Ayako)
- Voiced by: Kaori Mizuhashi
- The bespectacled Ayako "Aya" Fujisaki is weak-willed and became associated with Saki after she and Rin protected her from bullies when they were kids. So far, Aya has served little purpose throughout the series besides following and supporting Saki, whom she idolizes. She is essentially something of an extra to their group, and has never been seen without accompanying Rin and Saki.
- The most known aspect of Aya's personality is her adoration of Saki, whom she looks up to and cares for the most in her life. She is also one of the few girls who don't have any romantic feelings towards Rito; most, if not all, of her admiration goes to Saki, and she naturally hates Rito's perverted accidents, especially if it's towards her, Rin, and, most of all, Saki.
- Celine (セリーヌ Serīnu)
- Voiced by: Ryōka Yuzuki
- Lala's gift for Rito's 16th birthday, Celine is initially a multi-story, carnivorous, sentient sunflower kept in the Yuuki's residence backyard. Although seemingly monstrous, Rito cares for Celine deeply, referring to her as his family. The plant has traits in common with humans: perspiring when the climate is humid, wearing a scarf during a chilly weather and eating ramen when hungry (although Celine still needs the basic nutrients of water and sunlight as well). When Celine seemingly contracts a deadly disease, Kare Kare, Rito is fully dedicated to saving her and finding the only known antidote, the luckberry. With his friends they journey to the S-level-danger class planet of Misletoe to obtain the antidote, only to return and find Celine all dried up. In reality, she was germinating and Celine burst out from her single seed, taking the appearance of an infant girl, with a flower on her head. This event shocks even Momo, who is very knowledgeable about the galaxy's flora, stating that even with all of her knowledge there is still much about Celine's biological makeup that is a complete mystery to her.
- Referring to Rito as her "mama", the infant Celine gets drunk when she drinks cola at which time she sprays pollen from the flower on her head that temporarily causes anyone who inhales it to fall in love with Rito (a side-effect that originates from Celine's own affection for him from taking care of her every day). Celine has a tendency to jump onto someone out of nowhere or playfully tackle any passing girl and attempting to breast feed. In episode 5 of To Love-Ru Darkness ova, Celine takes the form of a fully grown adult woman on a full moon and is able to talk instead of saying the usual "mau", but returns to normal in her infant form upon morning. Comically mistaken as being Rito's daughter, Celine makes guest star appearances in the OVA adaptation (as a plant near the end of OVA 4 and as an infant in OVA 6 part 3) and becomes a regular character with her infant form in the new anime series.
- Kyouko Kirisaki (霧崎 恭子 Kirisaki Kyōko)
- Voiced by: Chiemi Chiba
- A half-alien girl, Kyōko is a famous idol who has the ability to create and throw fire at will and becomes friends with Run when Run portrays an antagonist on her show. She is best known for her role as Magical Kyōko, a fictional magical girl character who stars in her own television series which Lala loves watching, often forcing Rito to watch it with her. She is present when Run asks Rito to be her date, and is able to tell they aren't dating though wishes Run luck on getting him. Ever since their first meeting on her show, Kyōko and Run have done many projects together, including debuting many songs together.
- When Rito and his friends are given invitations to an RPG world Lala had partially created, an image of Kyouko is programmed into the game. However, Kyōko's programming within the game is modified by Nana and Momo, turning her into the "Demon King", tasked with seeking out Rito and offering him a way to send him and his friends home if he leaves Lala and promises to become her boyfriend. Adding to Rito's anxiety, Demon King Kyōko threatens to destroy Rito and his friends if he does not state his feelings for Lala. In comedic fashion, the otherwise unbeatable Kyōko is destroyed by a watering can that only Rito can use. Although she doesn't seem to be interested in Rito at first there do seem to be signs of her being fond of him after a few interesting situations arise. This becomes more evident after he saves her when she visited his school (to the extent of referring to Rito as a "prince" when he "princess-carries" her).
- Kyouko is based upon the character of the same name from Black Cat. Kyouko also appears in a television in "Black Cat".
- Tearju Lunatique (ティアーユ ルナティーク Tiāyu Runatīku)
- Voiced by: Misato Fukuen
- The woman who created Golden Darkness using of her own DNA, therefore the two look almost identical although each has her own distinguishing features. She raised Yami as her own daughter and, after finding out the organization wanted to turn Yami into a weapon, was almost killed while rescuing Yami and then fleeing for life.
- Well-endowed and beautiful, she quickly becomes the object of attention of the male students of the school who consider her clumsiness (on a par with Rito's, according to Oshizu) as rather cute. Unlike others, she calls Yami "Eve". She is also an old classmate of Ryouko Mikado, and was brought to Earth by her to reunited with Yami.
- As with her creation, Tearju is based upon the character of the same name from Black Cat, who has a similar role to that of Tearju in To Love-Ru.
- Azenda (アゼンダ Azenda)
- Voiced by: Risa Hayamizu
- Yami's former opponent. She arrives to Earth under Nemesis's request to fight Yami.
- Saibai Yuuki (結城 才培 Yūki Saibai)
- Voiced by: Keiji Fujiwara
- Rito's father is a manga artist and is very different compared to Rito in terms of both looks and personality. Saibai draws at amazing speeds and can be utterly serious before deadlines are met, but seems to have a bit of a goofy side, such as making a joke about Rito and Lala "sleeping" together every night and punching Rito when he got drunk and mistook his son for a burglar. With the help of Lala he returns for the Christmas party, stating how much Zastin and his workers have grown since starting out. In the anime, he writes a (not-so-encouraging) letter to him at the end of the first season.
- Ringo Yuuki (結城 林檎 Yūki Ringo)
- Voiced by: Sayaka Ohara
- Rito's mother is a fashion designer and a scout for fashion models. Normally working overseas, she returns home to check up on the family. Despite initially appearing to be refined and chic, Ringo's personality is equally as odd as Saibai's, where she has a tendency to start sizing women up with her hands, whenever she spots pretty girls. Ringo seems to take her work very seriously, having immediately entered "work-mode", when she meets Lala and Haruna for the first time. Like her daughter, Ringo is also highly perceptive, able to read Haruna's feelings towards Rito. With the help of Lala, she returns for the Christmas party and mistakes Celine as her son's child.
Gid Lucion Deviluke
- Gido Rushion Debirūku (ギド・ルシオン・デビルーク)
- Voiced by: Hidetoshi Nakamura
- The King of Deviluke and Emperor of the known universe, Gid is the father of Lala, Nana, and Momo. Despite his near omnipotent power, he has the physical appearance of a child, looking slightly devilish, with shark-like teeth, spiky black hair, and the characteristic Devilukean tail. While his daughters' tails end in spades, his appears as a wicked looking trident. Gid's personality borders juvenile delinquency and (extreme) perversion, going as far as to use his child like appearance to get close to pretty girls, thus Lala claims the only reason he wants her to get married is so he can step down as king and be free to pursue his perverted hobbies. Lala states his current appearance is due to him using too much power during the "Galaxy Unification Wars", which desized his body, following his conquest. However, even in this form he is described to still be very powerful, stating he could destroy the Earth if he released it.
- In To Love-Ru Darkness, he is revealed to be back to his adult form when he has to fight Nemesis when she engages him in combat trying to kill him, he wins the fight with little effort' giving nemesis the ultimatum of surrendering or be destroyed; when she refuses he tries to kill her, but Rito steps in and allows her to live inside his body stating he sees redemption in her and will look after her for the time being, despite Gid warning him that she might betray him and start more mischief.
- In the manga, he seems more easygoing and is much more accepting of Rito as his heir, where he simply wishes to relinquish the throne so he could pursue his perverted interests. However, in the anime, he is much more critical of Rito and even attacks him, saying that Rito is not suitable for Lala.
Sephie Michaela Deviluke
- Sephie Michaela Deviluke (セフィー・ミカエラ・デビルーク Sefi Mikaera Debirūku)
- Voiced by: Kikuko Inoue
- First referenced in Chapter 2 and formally introduced in Chapter 49 of Darkness, Sephie is the Queen of Deviluke and the mother of Lala, Nana, and Momo. Unlike the rest of her family whose middle names refer to devils, her middle name is a reference to the archangel Michael.
- Sephie is the last descendant of the Charmian race and therefore possesses no tail. While her Charmian blood endows her with the most beautiful appearance and voice, it has also caused trouble for her in the past. She possesses Charm, an ability that seduces any male she comes across, causing them to lose their sanity and run wildly towards her. The first person not to be affected by her Charm ability is Gid. The second person is Rito. Gid helped Sephie restrain many males during his combat training and gained her trust. She later married Gid and had three children.
- It is said that Nana's and Momo's trait to communicate with animal and plants respectively was inherited from Sephie's Charm ability.
- Akiho Sairenji (西連寺 秋穂 Sairenji Akiho)
- Voiced by: Mikako Takahashi
- Haruna's older sister, she shares her apartment with Haruna. Extremely popular with the guys (having received confessions from two men at the same time), Akiho continuously turns them down, as her sister states she is not looking for love at the moment. However, she has been dating Yuu Kotegawa.
- Voiced by: Atsushi Abe
- Yui's 19-year-old brother, Yuu Kotegawa (古手川 遊 Kotegawa Yū) is a ladies' man, something Yui dislikes. After finding Rito and Yui being chased by hoodlums, he defends the two from the ruffians, while commenting that he hopes Yui will grow to be more mature. At the moment, he is dating Akiho, Haruna's older sister but unknown to him she isn't taking the relationship as seriously as he does. He also is one of the few people to know that Rito is Riko.
- Taizou Motemitsu (弄光 泰三 Motemitsu Taizō)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Namikawa
- The best pitcher on the baseball team at Sainan High and an arrogant womanizer, whenever a new girl comes to the school, Motemitsu will try anything to get them to go on a date with him. Greatly admired by his teammates and the male student body, Motemitsu unfortunately is a closet pervert, having taken shots of girls changing. He was once found out taking photos of girls in the swimming pool, during a swimming class, and was suspended from school for two weeks. He also keeps a personal record of every girl in the school with him. A running gag involves Motemitsu immediately asking out (or, in one case, proposing to) any pretty girl he sees, causing his followers to comment "As expected from Motemitsu-senpai, [whatever Motemitsu has just done]!", only to be instantly rejected, to which his followers say "As expected from Motemitsu-senpai, immediately rejected!". He is not seen or mentioned in the later half of the manga for reasons never explained, most likely due to focus more on the growing main cast.
- Principal (校長 Kōchō)
- Voiced by: Kenichi Ogata
- The unnamed principal of Sainan High is well known throughout campus as a pervert. He will enroll any girls into the school body so as to ogle and grope them without hesitation (though, according to him, they have to be "cute girls"). This groping is not limited only to Sainan High, but in public, as well.
- A common gag involves the Principal spontaneously shedding his clothes and chasing after a girl he becomes smitten with, which inevitably results in him beaing beaten to a pulp. Once, Run purposefully causes herself to change into Ren to get the principal to leave her be; upon seeing Ren, the principal thinks briefly, then continues to chase him (stating "This is okay too").
- Throughout the series, the principal has survived many severe injuries and attacks. Some of these include burning, (by Kyouko) beaten up, and on one occasion, almost eaten by a crocodile in the Amazon.
- The unnamed Principal bears a strong resemblance to famed erotic photographer, Nobuyoshi Araki, complete with trademarked, devil horn hair style.
- Haruko Nitta (新田 晴子 Nitta Haruko)
- Voiced by: Sakura Nakamura
- Mikan's homeroom teacher in Sainan First Elementary School (彩南第一小学校 Sainan Daiichi Shōgakkō). She is shown to be an otaku and big fan of Saibai's work, who happens to be the Mikan's father, whom she considers to be her top student.
Sachie & Mami
- Sachie Kogure (小暮 幸恵 Kogure Sachie) & Mami Nogiwa (乃際 真美 Nogiwa Mami)
- Voiced by: Misato Fukuen (Sachie) and Sayuri Yahagi (Mami)
- They are two of Mikan's close friends who attend Sainan First Elementary School along with her. They like to tease Mikan about her relationship with Rito. They once visit the Yuuki family and, later in their visit, Sachie forgets to return Mikan's book, so they come back to the house only to see Mikan in an abnormal position with Rito.
Sayaka & Koyomi
- Sayaka Arai (新井 纱弥香 Arai Sayaka) & Koyomi Shirayuki (白百合 こよみ Shirayuki Koymi)
- Rito's classmates and Haruna's fellow members in the tennis club of Sainan High, Sayaka (named Matsuo (松尾) in the first season of To Love-Ru anime) and Koyomi are a duo of minor characters whose most of their appearances are simply for fan service sake, never getting involved in any major plot.
- Lacospo (ラコスポ)
- Voiced by: Kappei Yamaguchi
- A small frog-like alien prince who is one of Lala's fiancé candidates and one of the few antagonists in the first series. He is by far the most persistent of Lala's suitors and most recurring to try to win her love. Appearing multiple times in the manga to steal Lala, and even hired Yami to assassinate Rito.
- Kuro (クロ)
- An alien hitman who is based on the character Train Heartnet from Kentaro Yabuki previous work Black Cat
- To Love-Ru Chapter 27: Rito's Long Day (リトのある長い一日, Rito no aru nagai ichinichi)
- "Those Warped into the Midst of Darkness" (暗闇の中でうつるもの "Kurayami no Naka de Utsuru Mono")
- "Once More, From Here" (もう一度ここから "Mō ichido koko kara")
- "Inspection (Inspection～検証しましょう～ Inspection -Kenshō shimashou-)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 2: Great Escape of Love (愛の大脱出, Ai no dai dasshutsu)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 91: Honest Feelings (真っ直ぐなキモチ, Massugu na kimochi)
- To Love Ru Chapter 30: Ladies, Be Modest
- To Love-Ru Chapter 60: Troublesome, Isn't It? (大変だねェ, Taihen da nē)
- To Love-Ru Episode 22: Shudder! The Culture Festival (戦慄!文化祭, Senritsu! Bunkasai) Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "ReferenceA" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- To Love-Ru Chapter 104: Siblings (兄妹, Kyōdai)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 73: Bad Mood? Good Mood? (不機嫌?ご機嫌?, Fukigen? Gokigen?)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 138: "Happening Weather" (ハプニング日和 "Hapuningu Biyori")
- To Love-Ru Chapter 76: "Sleepover party" (お泊り会 Otomari kai)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 58: "An Unexpected End" (意外な結末 Igai na ketsumatsu)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 159: "Summer Memories" (夏の思い出 Natsu no Omoide)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 149: "The Smiling Cat" (微笑むネコ Hohoemu Neko)
- To Love-Ru Darkness Chapter 14: "Past" (Past ～ 明日につながる記憶 ～ "Past - Ashita ni tsunagaru kioku -")
- "Misato Fukuen's Voice Works".
- To Love-Ru Chapter 61: Yami-yami Fashion (ヤミヤミファッション Yami-yami Fasshon)
- "Yami Character Profile Official Site". Shueisha. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Motto To Love-Ru". animenewsnetwork. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- To Love-Ru Chapter 97: Trouble Quest 5 (とらぶるくえすと5, TORABURU KUESUTO go)
- "ToLOVEる スタッフ&キャスト (ToLove-Ru Staff & Cast)". toloveru.com (in Japanese). Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- to-LOVE ru chapter 160 page 13
- To Love-Ru Chapter 23: Scramble For The Lips (唇争奪戦, Kuchibiru sōdatsusen)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 42: Confession (告白, Kokuhaku)
- To Love-Ru Episode 5: The Queen's Challenge (くいーんの挑戦状, Kuīn no Chōsenjō)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 80: Master of Love (恋愛マスター, Ren'ai MASUTĀ)
- "To Love-Ru 4koma, chapter 8: Ignorance is Bliss". Jump Live. Retrieved 6 August 2015.
- To Love-Ru Chapter 113: Beach Girls♡ (ビーチ・ガールズ♡, BĪCHI GǍRUZU♡)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 60. Troublesome, Isn't It? (大変だねェ, Taihen da nē)
- "Kikuko Inoue to Play Lala's Mother in To Love-Ru -Trouble- Darkness OVA". Anime News Network. 1 February 2016. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- To Love-Ru Chapter 117
- To Love-Ru Chapter 86: Sister... (妹よ・・・, Imōto yo...)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 138: Happening Weather
- To Love-Ru Chapter 13: The Lust Whirling Underwater (水中に渦巻く欲望, Suichū ni uzumaku yokubō)