List of members of the 6th Northern Ireland Assembly
|6th Northern Ireland Assembly|
|Meeting place||Parliament Buildings,|
|Election||2017 assembly election|
|Government||Executive of the 6th Assembly|
|First Minister||Arlene Foster|
|deputy First Minister||Michelle O'Neill|
This is a list of the 90 members of the sixth Northern Ireland Assembly, the unicameral devolved legislature of Northern Ireland. The election took place on 2 March 2017, with counting finishing the following day; voter turnout was estimated at 64.8%.
Only five (rather than six) MLAs were elected from each of the 18 constituencies, following the Assembly Members (Reduction of Numbers) Act (Northern Ireland) 2016. The reduction negatively affected Unionist candidates whose bloc lost its majority for the first time in the history of the Assembly. The SDLP was also negatively impacted, losing its only West Belfast seat.
However, with the DUP and Sinn Féin unable to agree to form their mandatory coalition government, the Assembly did not formally convene. On 27 April, talks were paused until after a snap general election on 8 June, with a deadline of 29 June 2017 for the parties to reach agreement, but this deadline was repeatedly extended over the next three years. The DUP, Sinn Féin and other parties finally agreed terms on 10 January 2020.
|Democratic Unionist Party||Unionist||28||27|
|Social Democratic and Labour Party||Nationalist||12||12|
|Ulster Unionist Party||Unionist||10||10|
|Alliance Party of Northern Ireland||Other||8||7|
|Green Party in Northern Ireland||Other||2||2|
|Traditional Unionist Voice||Unionist||1||1|
|People Before Profit Alliance||Other||1||1|
|Totals by Designation||Unionist||40||40|
Parties arranged roughly on the nationalist-unionist spectrum
MLAs by party
† Co-opted to replace an elected MLA
‡ Changed affiliation during the term
MLAs by constituency
† Co-opted to replace an elected MLA ‡ Changed affiliation during the term
Changes since the election
|9 June 2017||West Tyrone||Sinn Féin||Barry McElduff elected as Member of Parliament for West Tyrone in the 2017 general election.|
|9 June 2017||Foyle||Sinn Féin||Elisha McCallion elected as Member of Parliament for Foyle in the 2017 general election.|
|9 June 2017||Fermanagh and South Tyrone||Sinn Féin||Michelle Gildernew elected as Member of Parliament for Fermanagh and South Tyrone in the 2017 general election.|
|9 June 2017||South Down||Sinn Féin||Chris Hazzard elected as Member of Parliament for South Down in the 2017 general election.|
|9 June 2017||South Antrim||DUP||Paul Girvan elected as Member of Parliament for South Antrim in the 2017 general election.|
|20 June 2017||West Tyrone||Sinn Féin||Catherine Kelly co-opted by Sinn Féin to replace Barry McElduff.|
|20 June 2017||Foyle||Sinn Féin||Karen Mullan co-opted by Sinn Féin to replace Elisha McCallion.|
|20 June 2017||Fermanagh and South Tyrone||Sinn Féin||Colm Gildernew co-opted by Sinn Féin to replace Michelle Gildernew.|
|20 June 2017||South Down||Sinn Féin||Emma Rogan co-opted by Sinn Féin to replace Chris Hazzard.|
|28 June 2017||South Antrim||DUP||Trevor Clarke co-opted by the Democratic Unionist Party to replace Paul Girvan.|
|9 May 2018||South Down||DUP||Independent Unionist||DUP whip withdrawn from Jim Wells.|
|25 June 2018||South Antrim||Alliance||David Ford resigns.|
|27 June 2018||South Antrim||Alliance||John Blair co-opted by Alliance to replace David Ford.|
|1 December 2018||Mid Ulster||Sinn Féin||Ian Milne resigns to be co-opted to Mid Ulster Council.|
|4 December 2018||Mid Ulster||Sinn Féin||Emma Sheerin co-opted to replace Ian Milne.|
|2 May 2019||West Tyrone||Sinn Féin||Michaela Boyle elected as a Councillor for Derry and Strabane District Council in the 2019 Northern Ireland local elections|
|28 May 2019||West Tyrone||Sinn Féin||Maolíosa McHugh co-opted to replace Michaela Boyle|
|1 July 2019||Belfast East||Alliance||Naomi Long elected as Member of the European Parliament for Northern Ireland in the 2019 European Parliament Election|
|1 July 2019||Belfast East||Alliance||Máire Hendron co-opted by Alliance to replace Naomi Long.|
|2 September 2019||Strangford||DUP||Simon Hamilton resigns|
|12 September 2019||Strangford||DUP||Harry Harvey co-opted to replace Simon Hamilton|
|30 September 2019||North Down||Green (NI)||Steven Agnew resigns|
|7 October 2019||North Down||Green (NI)||Rachel Woods co-opted to replace Steven Agnew|
|12 December 2019||Upper Bann||DUP||Carla Lockhart elected as Member of Parliament for the Upper Bann constituency in the 2019 general election.|
|12 December 2019||Foyle||SDLP||Colum Eastwood elected as Member of Parliament for the Foyle constituency in the 2019 general election.|
|12 December 2019||Belfast South||SDLP||Claire Hanna elected as Member of Parliament for the Belfast South constituency in the 2019 general election.|
|16 December 2019||North Down||Alliance||Stephen Farry elected as Member of Parliament for North Down in the 2019 general election.|
|16 December 2019||North Down||Alliance||Andrew Muir co-opted by Alliance to replace Stephen Farry.|
|6 January 2020||Newry and Armagh||Sinn Féin||Megan Fearon resigns.|
|6 January 2020||Belfast South||Sinn Féin||Máirtín Ó Muilleoir resigns.|
|8 January 2020||Belfast East||Alliance||Máire Hendron resigns.|
|9 January 2020||Belfast East||Alliance||Naomi Long co-opted by Alliance to replace Máire Hendron.|
|9 January 2020||Upper Bann||DUP||Diane Dodds co-opted by DUP to replace Carla Lockhart.|
|9 January 2020||Newry and Armagh||Sinn Féin||Liz Kimmins co-opted by Sinn Féin to replace Megan Fearon.|
|9 January 2020||Belfast South||Sinn Féin||Deirdre Hargey co-opted by Sinn Féin to replace Máirtín Ó Muilleoir.|
|10 January 2020||Foyle||SDLP||Sinead McLaughlin co-opted by SDLP to replace Colum Eastwood.|
|11 January 2020||Belfast South||SDLP||Matthew O'Toole co-opted by SDLP to replace Claire Hanna.|
|3 February 2020||Foyle||Sinn Féin||Raymond McCartney resigns.|
|10 February 2020||Foyle||Sinn Féin||Martina Anderson co-opted by Sinn Féin to replace Raymond McCartney.|
|2 March 2020||Lagan Valley||Alliance||Independent||Trevor Lunn resigns the Alliance whip due to "internal difficulties".|
|5 May 2020||East Londonderry||SDLP||Death of John Dallat.|
|18 May 2020||East Londonderry||SDLP||Cara Hunter co-opted to replace John Dallat following his death. |
- "Northern Ireland Assembly election 2017 results". BBC News. Retrieved 28 April 2017.
- "Assembly Members (Reduction of Numbers) Act (Northern Ireland) 2016". legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 28 April 2017.
- McClafferty, Enda. "Assembly election 'a brutal result for unionism'". BBC News. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "Tributes to mark the passing of former deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness". YouTube. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "Stormont talks paused until after General Election". ITV News. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "Parties return to Stormont after striking deal". 11 January 2020. Retrieved 11 January 2020.
- "New MLAs". The Electoral Office for Northern Ireland. Archived from the original on 25 August 2017. Retrieved 2 July 2017.
- "New MLA - South Antrim Constituency". The Electoral Office of Northern Ireland. Retrieved 2 July 2017.
- "DUP's Wells has the whip withdrawn after attack on leadership". Belfast Telegraph. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- McCormack, Jayne (25 June 2018). "David Ford stepping down from Stormont". BBC News. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- McCormack, Jayne (27 June 2018). "First openly gay MLA takes Stormont seat". BBC News. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- "CMIS > Councillors". mid-ulster.cmis-ni.org. Retrieved 25 March 2019.
- "Sinn Féin co-opt Emma Sheerin in Mid Ulster". The Irish News. 24 November 2018. Retrieved 25 March 2019.
- MLA Details: Mr Raymond McCartney, niassembly.gov.uk; accessed 13 February 2020
- "MLA Details: Ms Martina Anderson". Aims.niassembly.gov.uk. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- "Trevor Lunn resigns from Alliance Party". Belfast Telegraph. 2 March 2020. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- "East Londonderry: Hunter replaces John Dallat as MLA". BBC News. 18 May 2020. Retrieved 18 May 2020.