|Genres||Alternative hip hop, jazz rap|
|Past members||MF DOOM|
Madvillain was an American hip hop duo consisting of two MCs and producers, MF DOOM and Madlib. Their debut album Madvillainy was met with wide critical acclaim for its unique approach. Their short songs, obscure lyrics and lack of choruses made for a sound that was generally unfriendly to commercial radio, but was lauded as a key aspect of their identity as an underground act.
In 2006, Madvillain was featured on Stones Throw Records and Adult Swim's DVD/CD Chrome Children with a new song and live performance. Kidrobot followed this by announcing a Madvillain action figure.
|image = Madvillainy cover.png
In late 2011, during an interview at the Red Bull Music Academy in Madrid, DOOM admitted that the second Madvillain album had been nearly done for about two years and that it should be out "soon", sometime after DOOM finishes his part on it in "say, January" 2012.
On September 6, 2012, DOOM co-hosted Benji B's late night BBC Radio 1 show. As well as talking about the origins of Madvillain and what it was like to work with Madlib, he announced during the show that he just had to "touch up a couple of tracks" on the new Madvillain album and said that it should be out by the end of 2012, depending on when Stones Throw choose to release it.
On January 9, 2014, Madlib stated in a Dazed & Confused interview that it is up to DOOM to decide on whether he wants to finish the second Madvillain album, and that he does not have to. "It’s not close to finished because it has to be a continuation of the last one. It doesn't have to be better or worse but it has to be a continuation."
DOOM died on October 31, 2020, effectively leaving the project uncertain. His death was not announced publicly until two months later, on December 31.
- Madvillainy Instrumentals
- Released: December 1, 2004
- Label: Stones Throw
- Madvillainy Demo Tape
- 2003: "Money Folder"
- 2004: "All Caps"
- 2004: "One Beer"
- 2008: "One Beer (Drunk Version)" (as part of Madvillainy 2: The Box)
- 2010: "Papermill"
- "Madvillain Figure by Kid Robot & Stones Throw | Stones Throw Records". Stonesthrow.com. 2007-01-15. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- "Madvillain | Stones Throw Records". Stonesthrow.com. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- "Madvillain - Papermill | MP3 Download | Stones Throw Records". Stonesthrow.com. 2010-05-26. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- "Stones Throw Podcast 64: Stones Throw 2011 mixed by PB Wolf | Stones Throw Records". Stonesthrow.com. 2011-01-03. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- "DOOM". Red Bull Music Academy. 2011-12-09. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- "BBC Radio 1 - Benji B, MF DOOM Takeover, MF DOOM's Benji B Takeover". Bbc.co.uk. 2012-09-06. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- "A rare encounter with Madlib | Dazed". Dazeddigital.com. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- Relic, Peter (July 2007). "Good News, Bad News". XXL magazine, p. 94.