Malayan Colleges Laguna
|Motto||Excellence and Virtue|
|Type||Private, nonsectarian, Yuchengco Group of Companies|
|President||Dr. Reynaldo B. Vea|
|Location||Pulo, Cabuyao City, Laguna, Philippines|
|Colors||Blue and Silver|
The Malayan Colleges Laguna (MCL or simply Malayan) is a private, non-sectarian, and wholly owned subsidiary of Mapúa University along with the other subsidiaries like the Mapúa IT Center in Makati City and the Malayan High School of Science in Manila.
With 18 baccalaureate programs, MCL has five degree-offering colleges, namely the Mapúa Institute of Technology at Laguna, the Mapúa-PTC College of Maritime Education and Training, the E.T. Yuchengco College of Business, the College of Computer and Information Science, and the College of Arts and Sciences. As of 2011, 45 percent of its students are enrolled in engineering programs.
- 1 History
- 2 Schools and Academic Programs
- 3 References
- 4 External links
When the ownership of the Mapúa Institute of Technology was transferred in the year 1999 to the Yuchengco Group of Companies (YGC) under the stewardship of the Ambassador Alfonso T. Yuchengco; great amount of face lifting was undertaken to make the facilities of Mapúa at par with international standards and great amount of effort was cultivated to further strengthen the academic programs of the institution.
Through the years, new programs were offered such as Computer Science, Information Technology, Material Science and Engineering, Biological Engineering, Nursing, Psychology, Accountancy, and Hotel and Restaurant Management in addition to the Engineering and Architecture programs.
In fulfillment of the long term development plan of nothing, a six-hectare land was acquired for its expansion and presence in Laguna, which stands as one of CALABARZON’s industrial and commercial hub.
Groundwork started in late 2005, and on 23 January 2006, Malayan Colleges Laguna (informally referred to as MCL) acquired its corporate personality following its registration with the Securities and Exchange Commission. This opened the way for the creation of an interim group under the leadership of Dr. Reynaldo B. Vea, Mapúa Institute of Technology President and CEO, and concurrently the MCL President and CEO, with administrators from Mapua namely Milagros V. Reyes, former Mapúa Executive Vice President for Administration and Chief Operating Officer; Engr. Dodjie Maestrecampo, then Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs; Engr. Dennis H. Tablante, Dean of the School of EE-ECE-CoE; Engr. Christopher F. dela Rosa, Director of Mapua’s Development Office for Information Technology; Raoul A. Villegas, Controller of the Mapua IT Center, and Daniel R. Francisco, President for People eServe Corp.
In January 2007, the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) gave the approval for MCL to offer eight (8) programs of study in Engineering, Information Technology, and Business. This was after MCL’s satisfactory compliance with the standards of the CHED’s Regional Quality Assurance Team.
18 June 2007 marked MCL’s first academic year - Malayan Colleges Laguna opened its doors to the first batch of Malayans.
MCL started with three colleges: the Mapúa Institute of Technology at Laguna (MITL), the Enrique T. Yuchengco College of Business (ETYCB), and the College of Information Technology (CIT). In 2008, the Mapúa-PTC College of Maritime Education and Training (CMET) was established in cooperation with the Philippine Transmarine Carrier, Inc. (PTC), one of the country’s leading companies in crewing management. In 2009, MCL’s College of Arts and Science (CAS) started the Bachelor of Arts in Communication major in Multimedia Arts.
In March 2010, the maritime programs acquired ISO and DNV certifications in March 2010, barely two years after establishment, serving as a testament to the quality of MCL’s systems and offerings. The preparations for the ABET accreditation of MCL’s engineering and IT programs have been started.
Schools and Academic Programs
Mapúa Institute of Technology at Laguna
- Bachelor of Science in Architecture
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering.
Mapúa-PTC College of Maritime Education and Training
- Bachelor of Science in Marine Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Marine Transportation
E.T. Yuchengco College of Business
- Bachelor of Science in Accountancy
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management
- Bachelor of Science in Entrepreneurship
- Bachelor of Science in Tourism Management
College of Computer and Information Science
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Entertainment and Multimedia Computing
College of Arts and Science
- Bachelor of Arts in Broadcasting
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication-Multimedia Arts
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science
- One-Year Diploma in Culinary Arts
- One-Year Diploma in Digital Arts and Design
Senior High School
- Academic Track
- Technical-Vocational-Livelihood Track
- Malayan Colleges Laguna Official Website
- Mapúa Institute of Technology
- Mapúa Information Technology Center
- Malayan High School of Science