Manuel Fernández Muñiz
Manu (left) with Machine Sazi in 2016
|Full name||Manuel Fernández Muñiz|
|Date of birth||9 May 1986|
|Place of birth||Gijón, Spain|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|2009–2011||Deportivo La Coruña||9||(0)|
|2015–2016||Deportivo La Coruña||8||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 12 February 2017.
Born in Gijón, Asturias, and a product of Mareo, Sporting de Gijón's youth academy, Manu made his professional debuts during the 2005–06 season, with the club in Segunda División. In 2007, he joined Deportivo de La Coruña, spending the major part of his first two years with its B-side.
In the 2009–10 campaign, after Gustavo Munúa's departure to Málaga CF, Manu was promoted to Daniel Aranzubia's backup. On 23 March 2010, after the latter was sent off against precisely Sporting Gijón (Depor eventually finished with nine players) at the 10-minute mark, he made his La Liga debut, in a 1–2 away loss.
Due to injury to Aranzubia, Manu started 2010–11's first six games then returned to the bench, appearing in the Copa del Rey as Deportivo was eventually relegated after 20 years. In July he signed with another team in the second division, Recreativo de Huelva, and continued competing in that level in the following years, in representation of AD Alcorcón and Deportivo Alavés.
In the summer of 2016, Manu signed with Iranian club Machine Sazi FC, newly promoted to the Persian Gulf Pro League, on a one-year contract. Halfway through the campaign he returned to Spain, joining Marbella FC from Segunda División B.
- Spain U19
- "Deportivo's Euro hopes dented". ESPN Soccernet. 23 March 2010. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- ""Palop es una referencia, me encanta su actitud"" ["Palop is a reference, I love his attitude"]. Diario de Sevilla (in Spanish). 11 September 2010. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- "El Recreativo refuerza su portería con Manu Fernández" [Recreativo bolster goal with Manu Fernández]. Marca (in Spanish). 27 June 2011. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- "Manu Fernández y Dorronsoro serán los dos porteros" [Manu Fernández and Dorronsoro will be the two goalkeepers]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 13 July 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- "El Alavés ficha al portero Manuel Fernández" [Alavés sign goalkeeper Manuel Fernández]. Marca (in Spanish). 3 July 2014. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- "El Depor refuerza la portería con Manu Fernández" [Depor bolster goal with Manu Fernández]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 23 August 2015. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- "Lux, otro palo en la portería" [Lux, another blow in goal]. La Opinión A Coruña (in Spanish). 5 April 2016. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- "Machine Sazi set to sign Spanish keeper". Tehran Times. 16 July 2016. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- "El Marbella FC ficha al portero Manu, que llega desde la liga de Irán" [Marbella FC sign goalkeeper Manu, who arrives from the Iranian league] (in Spanish). Marbella 24 Horas. 31 January 2017. Retrieved 15 February 2017.