Nemra (Armenian: Նեմրա) is an Armenian Alternative rock band from Yerevan, formed in 2012. The band consists of Van Yeghiazaryan (lead vocals, lead guitar), Vaspur Yeghiazaryan (bass guitar, back vocals), Marianna Karakeyan (keyboards, back vocals), and Marek Zaborski (drums). The band's songs are mostly in English and they also perform cover versions of Armenian folk songs.
The band have performed at large venues, open-air concerts, and music festivals. The band has been featured on Armenian television programs, including Arena Live, Nice Evening ,Vinyl and Little Big Shots.
The band was named "The Best Rock Band of the year" at the Swallow Music Awards 2018.
Nemra celebrated its sixth anniversary of being on stage by performing two sold-out concerts on April 6 and On May 31, 2018 at Yerevan State Puppet Theater.
Nemra supported the 2018 Armenian revolution from the beginning and on April 25 joined the movement in the form of a concert. On May 7 they held a welcome concert for Serj Tankian, Nikol Pashinyan, and the participants of the movement at Republic Square, performing their well-known songs in front of more than hundred thousand people.
On December 5, 2018, Nemra released a new song and a new music video "Because" and short time later on December 21, another song was released, titled "The past has passed" the music video for which was filmed in Kiev, Ukraine.
On June 22, 2019, Nemra had a performance at Tbilisi Open Air 2019.
Van and Vaspur developed an interest towards music from an early age as both took violin lessons when they were young. As they grew older into their late teenage years, their interest shifted more towards rock music and with the discovery of this genre their passion for music intensified even more. They started listening to rock music day and night, discovering new bands, and learning their songs. Eventually they started writing their own songs, and gradually developed a dream of forming their own band. As Van told in one of his interviews it all started in 2010 with his neighbor's run down guitar. The neighbor was tidying up his place and wanted to get rid of some unwanted items, including a guitar. Remembering Van's interest in music, she decided to give the instrument to him. Van taught himself how to play the guitar mostly using his knowledge from music school, watching instructional videos online, and lots of practice. It was not easy however, as the guitar was old, hard to work with, and often gave Van bloody fingers. At first he tried playing songs of his favorite bands, then started writing his own songs. After writing a few songs, Van realized that forming a band was a must and, along with his brother Vaspur, started looking for like-minded people, with similar tastes in music, who were also looking to be in a band. Eventually they met Gegham Fahradyan, who played the drums, and were introduced, through a mutual friend, to Marianna Karakeyan who plays the piano and keyboards.
Nemra was formed on February 17, 2012. They began practicing together and eventually played well enough to secure gigs at pubs, clubs, and different events. By 2014 they had written about 15 songs, had recorded some of them, and had made two music videos. In 2014, the drummer Gegham Fahradyan left the band due to creative differences. A few months later Marek Zaborski joined and the band has had the same members since then. In 2015 Nemra was the first band to represent Armenia at the "Voice of Nomads" international music festival in Ulan-Ude.
The band has taken part in charity concerts. In 2016 Nemra participated in festivals including Barbecue Festival (Akhtala), Engage Vanadzor, and the River Fest charity festival, held in Getamedj.
On May 7, 2016 Nemra released their first album titled "MUBLA". The reverse reading of both the album title and the band's name is best explained by a quote from one of the band's interviews: " We have the tendency to look at things from different perspectives and we believe that each point of view can be unique and beautiful on its own".
On July 2 Nemra was part of the concert organized within the frames of "Arvestanots" club's "RockDepiction" program of Ayb School. The program included students choosing their favorite Armenian rock bands and making posters of their songs and albums for 6 months.
On August 12 the band participated in the EPIC Rock Fest Armenia 2017.
On August 19 Nemra was part of Yell Extreme Park's birthday party concert in Yenokavan, as a special guest.
At the end of summer, a concert took place by the Swan Lake.
At the end of November in 2017, Nemra had several concerts in Tbilisi.
2017-2018: Participation in "Depi Evratesil" Song Contest
On December 27, 2017, Nemra was selected as a participant in the Depi Evratesil competition, the winner of which would represent Armenia at the Eurovision Song Contest 2018. The song "I'm a liar", which was written by the lead singer and guitar player Van Yeghiazaryan, was released on January 15, 2018․ The first semi-final took place on February 19, 2018; Nemra received the highest number of points from the jury panel as well as the public televote, and proceeded to the final. The final took place on February 25, 2018; Nemra took the second place. During "Depi Evratesil" Song Contest Nemra won the hearts of the audience, the proof of which were the voting results.
|Date||"Depi Evratesil" Song Contest||Artist||Song||Jury||Televote||Total||Place|
|February 19, 2018||Semi-Final 1||Nemra||"I'm a Liar"||66||12||2,125||10||22||1|
|February 25, 2018||Final||Nemra||"I'm a Liar"||75||10||5,815||8||18||2|
To celebrate their sixth year of activity, Nemra performed at a concert at Yerevan State Puppet Theater on April 6; the tickets of the concert were sold out in three days. This was followed the next day by an open-air concert at Charles Aznavour Square.On April 13, Nemra was part of "Kindness is here and now" charity concert at Aram Khachaturian concert hall organized by Help Armenian Children.
Nemra supported the 2018 Armenian revolution from the beginning and on April 25 joined the movement in the form of a concert. Օn May 7 they held a welcome concert for Serj Tankian, Nikol Pashinyan and the participants of the movement at Republic Square, performing their best-known songs in front of more than hundred thousand people.
On May 31 Nemra had its second big solo concert of the year at State Puppet Theater. The fans had gathered in front of the stage, singing along Nemra's songs and dancing under their rhythms. Special guests of the evening included Gor Sujyan and Lav Eli band.
On June 14, after the viewing of the 2018 FIFA World Cup opening ceremony and the first game the campetition on a big screen by the Rio Mall parking lot, Nemra had a concert.
On July 21, Nemra had a concert on Yell Extreme Park's "Magic birthday party" in Yenokavan.
On July 28, Nemra had a concert at the Sevan Startup Summit Closing Ceremony.
On October 20, within the framework of the "Kapan Day 2018" celebration, the band performed at the Kapan Culture House.
On December 5, Nemra had an open-air concert in Vanadzor.
On December 5, Nemra released a new song and a new music video "Because".
On December 10, Nemra had its last solo concert of 2018 at State Puppet Theater. The band performed their well-known songs as well as some newer songs including their latest single "Because", performed live for the first time.
On December 21, Nemra released a new song and a new music video "The past has passed" filmed in Kiev, Ukraine.
On February 14, Nemra released a new music video "Room N11".
On April 7, Nemra had an open-air concert at Lovers' Park. The band also performed one of their latest singles "The past has passed" and the new blues song called "She's beautiful", which is not yet recorded.
On May 25, Nemra took part in the concert organized to celebrate the opening of Cultural Center in Tashir.
On June 7, Nemra had an open-air concert in Abovyan.
On July 16, Nemra released their second album titled Hmm . The album's presentation was accompanied by a great solo concert at Yerevan State Puppet Theatre.  The band performed songs from the first and second albums and the new song called Hmm, from which the album got its name.  Special guest of the evening was Narek Barseghyan from Bambir.
On July 31, Nemra was special guest during Square One's birthday party.
On August 10, Nemra had an open-air concert at Shahumyan square
within the framework of the "Yerevan summer 2019".
- Van Yeghiazaryan – (vocals, lead guiatar), co-founder of the band. He was born on August 28, 1992 in Yerevan. At the age of 8, he was accepted to the Musical School after Sarajev with the first profession of violin, second; piano and third; flute. He learned guitar by himself in 2010. Van has studied at Armenian State University of Economics with the major of "Marketing and Business Management".
- Marianna Karakeyan – (piano, keyboards, backing vocals), co-founder of the band. She was born on August 5, 1988 in Yerevan. She has studied at the specialized music school of Tchaikovsky in Yerevan during the years 1994–2004 and at Yerevan State Conservatory with the major of piano during the years 2004–2010. She has a master's degree.
- Vaspur Yeghiazaryan – (bass guitar, backing vocals), co-founder of the band. He was born on December 4, 1993. At the age of 6, he was accepted to Musical School after Sarajev with the first profession of violin, second; piano and third; flute. He has learned guitar by himself in 2011. He has studied at Yerevan State University with the major of Radio-physics during the years 2009-2013․
- Marek Zaborski – drummer
|2018||Swallow Music Awards||Best Rock Band of the Year||Yerevan||Won|||
- Mubla (2016)
- Hmm (2019)
|March 16, 2014||"Sad Reality"||Karen Amyan|
|July 14, 2014||"Dream"||Marisha Kazaryan|
|August 28, 2015||"Last Chance To Love "(unofficial music video)||Aram Karakhanyan|
|January 20, 2016||"Train Of Despair "||Ina Abrahamyan|
|June 15, 2016||"Feet In The River "||Areg Hovakimyan|
|July 8, 2016||"Leave Me Alone (Nemra feat. Andre Simonian ) "||Mariam Gevorgyan|
|December 16, 2016||"Connection Lost "||Ina Abrahamyan|
|December 3, 2017||"Born in 94"||Arus Tigranyan|
|December 5, 2018||"Because"||Arus Tigranyan|
|December 21, 2018||"The past has passed"||Vaspur Yeghiazaryan|
|February 14, 2019||"Room N11"||Ina Abrahamyan|
- Mubla, 2016-03-28, retrieved 2018-03-13
- Hmm..., retrieved 2019-07-30
- "Yerevan Summer 2017: Rock concert at the Freedom square (photo, video)". news.am. 2 July 2017.
- "Nemra". Shant TV. 2 July 2016 – via shanttv.com.
- "Vinyl". www.1tv.am. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Family Rock Band Nemra". www.1tv.am.
- "Nemra՝ "մոլորակ", որտեղ զգացմունքներն արտահայտում են ռոք երաժշտության միջոցով - Հետք" [Nemra, a planet where emotions are expressed through rock music] (in Armenian). Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "NEMRA" (in Russian). Фестиваль "Голос Кочевников".
- ""LOFT-Ն ԱՌԱՆՑ ՏՈՐԹ". ԱԿՈւՍՏԻԿ ՀԱՄԵՐԳԱՅԻՆ ԾՐԱԳԻՐ" ["LOFT without cake" acoustic session]. Loft (in Armenian).
- "FairWind & Nemra for Gyumri". yvn.reservin.am. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Let's help Armenian children". erit.am. 8 September 2016.
- "NEMRA-Ի "MUBLA"-Ի ՇՆՈՐՀԱՆԴԵՍԸ" [Nemra's 'Mubla' Presentation]. Loft.
- "Nemra ռոք խմբի բացօթյա համերգը Երևանում" [Open air concert of Nemra rock band] (in Armenian). panarmenian.am. 8 March 2017.
- "About The Festival". Music Drive Festival.
- "Artsakh Air Fest was held in Stepanakert (Photos)". ARTSAKHpress. 17 June 2017.
- Studio, X-TECH Creative. ""Այբ"-ում միաձուլվեցին ռոքն ու նկարչությունը. կայացավ սպասված "Ռոքապատկերում" ռոք համերգը" [Rock and art combined at Ayb. A long waited rock concert RockDepiction took place]. www.aybschool.am. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "EPIC Rock Fest Armenia 2017". RepatArmenia. 2017-06-19. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- Fund, Hayastan All Armenian. "Խաղի միջոցով ուսման վարձավճար հաղթելու աննախադեպ միջոց՝ #CampՏեղ" [Getting A Scholarship Through A Game: A Charity Event By The Hayastan All-Armenian Fund]. www.himnadram.org. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Yerevan Summer 2017: Rock concert at the Freedom square (photo, video)". NEWS.am. 2 July 2017.
- LLC, Helix Consulting. "NEMRA". www.eurovision.am. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Armenia First Five Acts Qualify For Depi Evratesil Final". eurovoxx. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Depi Evratesil: Former Eurovision participant eliminated as Armenia selected first 5 finalists". eurovisionary.com.
- "The voting results of the 2nd season of Depi Evratesil - Eurovision". Eurovision.am. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- ""Նեմրայի" էներգետիկ համերգի հետաքրքիր պահերն ու հայտնի հյուրերը" [Interesting moments and celebrity guests at the energetic concert of Nemra]. life.tert.am (in Armenian). Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- Mediamax. ""Nemra" մոլորակում թեժ է. Ռոք-խմբի առաջին մեծ մենահամերգի հետաքրքիր դրվագները" [Heated rock on Nemra Planet: Interesting moments of first big solo concert of the rock band]. Bravo.am (in Amharic). Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "MYYerevan | April 7: final concert in Charles Aznavour square". www.myyerevan.am (in Armenian). Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- Mediamax. "Ինչպես Քրիստինեն հուզեց հանդիսատեսին եւ ինչու նախապես հայտարարված չէր Սոֆիի ելույթը" [How Christine Pepelyan touched audience's heart and why Sofi Mkheyan's performance was not announced beforehand.]. Bravo.am (in Amharic). Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Հանրապետության հրապարակում Նիկոլ Փաշինյանը կոչ արեց շարունակել քաղաքացիական անհնազանդության ակցիաները(ուղիղ միացում) - Հետք - Լուրեր, հոդվածներ, հետաքննություններ" (in Armenian).
- "Nemra (Armenia) - One Caucasus". One Caucasus.
- ""Yerevan 2800": rock music event". yerevan.am.
- "Nemra-ն նոր տեսահոլովակ է ներկայացրել". style.news.am.
- "Երբ ռոք են լսում "տիկնիկները". Nemra-ի համերգը, երկրպագուների էմոցիաներն ու Վանի խոստովանությունը (ֆոտո/վիդեո)". style.news.am.
- "«Նեմրայի» լավագույն համերգներից մեկը, խմբի հաջողությունները 2018–ին ու ակնկալիքները 2019–ից". life.tert.am (in Armenian).
- "Մայրության և գեղեցկության տոնը՝ Սիրահարների այգում. ժանրային նոր մոտեցումներ". v (in Armenian).
- "«Բանանց» մարզադաշտի վերաբացման արարողությունը". www.fcbanants.am.
- "Քաղաքացու օրվան նվիրված միջոցառումներ՝ Արարատի մարզում - Արարատի մարզպետարան". ararat.mtad.am.
- "Europe Day 2019 celebrations will be launched on 11 May in Armenia and will continue till 26 May". EEAS - European External Action Service - European Commission.
- "Tbilisi Open Air 2019". tkt.ge.
- Mediamax. "Nemra-ի նոր ալբոմի համերգ-շնորհանդեսը, հատուկ հյուրը, նորություններն ու ոճային փոփոխությունը". Bravo.am (in Amharic).
- "«Նեմրայի» երկրորդ ալբոմի շնորհանդեսը, տարբերվող անվանումն ու համերգը". www.tert.am (in Armenian).
- "Transkaukazja 2019 - line-up". Transkaukazja (in Polish).
- "SQUARE ONE-Ը 15 ՏԱՐԵԿԱՆ Է". paparazzilife.am.
- "«Նեմրա» և «Որդան կարմիր» ռոք խմբերի բացօթյա համերգը` Երևանում". yerevan.am.
- "«Ծիծեռնակ 2018»-ի ուշագրավ դրվագները եւ ֆոտոշարքը" [Remarkable moments and photos of "Tsitsernak 2018"] (in Armenian). bravo.am.