Meerut City railway station
|Indian Railway Station|
|Elevation||224.340 metres (736.02 ft)|
|Owned by||Northern Railway zone of the Indian Railways|
|Platforms||6 (1A, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5)|
|Bus stands||City Bus (Local) Public Transit|
Meerut City, or Meerut City Junction, is the main railway station in the city of Meerut. It is a junction of Meerut-Bulandshahr-Khurja line and Delhi-Meerut-Saharanpur line. Double lining of Meerut-Saharanpur section is on full swing.
This station was established by British India government in 1911. It lies on the Delhi to Haridwar/Dehradun line.
Lines and Routes
It is a junction of Meerut-Bulandshahr-Khurja lines (93 km) that goes via Hapur Jn and connect to Kolkata-Delhi line, and Delhi-Meerut-Saharanpur line. Delhi to Meerut City is double-line and electrified while Meerut-Saharanpur section is single-electrified line. Doubling of Meerut-Saharanpur section is on full swing.
A 63 km (39 mi) rail link from Meerut to Bijnor is proposed to connect the two cities. Survey has been done and line is to be laid from Daurala station in Meerut to Bijnor. The cities which are expected to be included in the route are Daurala, Mawana, Hastinapur, Bahsuma and Daranagar.
A total of 78 trains halt at Meerut City Jn railway station. 8 trains originate from and terminate at Meerut City. Sangam Express, Nauchandi Express, Rajya Rani Express are originating trains which goes to Allahabad via Bulandshahr-Aligarh-Kanpur, Allahabad via Bareilly-Lucknow and Bareilly-Lucknow respectively. Three Khruja-Meerut-Passenger trains shuttle between Meerut and Khurja and 1 train umbala passenger and Rewari passenger also originate from Meerut City. About 60 trains run up and down to Delhi, Mumbai, Madurai, Kochuvelli, Dehradun, Amritsar, Jammu Tawi, Okha, Bilaspur, Puri, Indore, Ujjain daily, biweekly or weekly.
After Meerut City, the second major railway station is Meerut Cantonment, located 4 km North.
The station is equipped with route relay interlocking technology for managing tracks and signalling. The rail yard has 2 washing lines for maintenance or train rakes. It has also got a coach care facility with capacity of 2 coaches.
Station also has a dedicated cargo siding for freight loading and unloading. The siding has 3 zones: open siding for coal, cement, fertilizer etc, a petroleum terminal bay of BPCL and, a closed siding terminal for all other type of goods. The siding is located about 1.9 km East of the station.
City Railway station is a Class-A railway station of Norther Railway. It is equipped with most public amenities like restaurants, waiting room, retiring room, police station, post office etc. The station is fully disabled friendly. Escalators and elevators are being installed for easing passenger movement between platform 1 and 2-3. PNB and SBI ATMs are also available at station entrance.
Station premises also have a Railway Hospital for railway staff.
- "MTC/Meerut City Junction Train Departure Timings". indiarailinfo.com. Retrieved 5 October 2015.
- "Meerut-Saharanpur rail stretch goes electric - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "दिल्ली-सहारनपुर रेल लाइन होगी डबल - Amarujala". Amar Ujala. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "Railways complete survey on proposed Bijnor-Meerut rail link - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- Shaikh, Azar S. "MTC/Meerut City Junction Station - 75 Train Departures NR/Northern Zone - Railway Enquiry". indiarailinfo.com. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "SHRI SURESH PRABHAKAR PRABHU DEDICATES THE NEWLY ELECTRIFIED GHAZIABAD-MEERUT-SAHARANPUR RAIL SECTION AND ALSO LAYS THE FOUNDATION STONE FOR PROVISION OF ESCALATOR & LIFTS AT MEERUT CITY STATION - Railway Enquiry". m.indiarailinfo.com. Retrieved 2 June 2017.