Don Omar Presents: Meet the Orphans
|Don Omar Presents: Meet the Orphans|
|Studio album by Don Omar|
|Released||November 16, 2010|
|Genre||Reggaeton, Latin pop|
|Producer||Don Omar (also exec.) Luny Tunes, Eliel, Danny Fornairs, Lil Wizard, Lucenzo, Marcos G, Dj Luian, A&X, Robin, Linkon|
|Don Omar chronology|
|Singles from Meet The Orphans|
|Digital singles from Meet The Orphans|
Meet the Orphans is the fourth studio album by reggaeton artist, Don Omar, released on November 16, 2010. The album features the artists under the "Orfanato Music Group" label and other reggaeton artists. The album includes the promotional single "Hasta Abajo" and the album's lead single "Danza Kuduro" featuring French-born Portuguese singer Lucenzo, as well as collaborations from Don Omar’s Orfanato Music Group artists including Kendo Kapponi, Danny Fornaris, Syko, Plan B, Zion & Lennox, and Yaga & Mackie. It was nominated for a Lo Nuestro Award for Urban Album of the Year.
The album was initially planned as the re-release album from iDon, titled first iDon 2.0, and later Prototype 2.0. On September 2009, Reggaeton singer Daddy Yankee confirmed work on Omar's new album, following by the remix version of "Hasta Abajo". However none of the collaborations with Yankee including the remix, were included on the album. It was set to be released in fall 2009, but was cancelled. Following the cancellation of the re-release album from iDon, it was announced that Don Omar would turn his attention to recording a new full length collaboration album from scratch which would feature other reggaeton artists.
The album was set to be released on August 24, 2010 through Orfanato Music Group. back later was on October 19, 2010, the album was to be released finally on November 2, 2010 but the release date was newly changed to November 16, 2010. The album was released on two editions, a Standard edition with 14 tracks and a Deluxe edition that includes 19 tracks and the music video of "Danza Kuduro", both editions were released the same day. On the iTunes Store both editions include the bonus track "Carta al Cielo" and a Digital booklet.
|The Washington Post||(favorable)|
David Jeffries from Allmusic gave the album 3.5 stars out of 5. Here is an extract of his review: "a mix of new and old music -- a must for Don Omar fans and worth considering if you’re curious, but unfamiliar, with what’s happening in the reggaeton genre 2010."
Allison Stewart from The Washington Post said that "Omar is on safer ground on Don Omar Presents: Meet the Orphans, a collection of tracks spotlighting the artists and producers of his El Orfanato record label. It's a curiously old-fashioned concept, like an old-school mix tape or a lower-wattage version of P. Diddy's epochal '01 Bad Boy showcase, The Saga Continues. Though Meet the Orphans is studded with tales of social uplift (like the sluggish, serious "Angeles Y Demonios"), it's most agreeable when it sticks to fare like last summer's inescapable "Danza Kuduro", a warp-speed, tropical/meringue/pop redo of French Portuguese singer Lucenzo's hit "Vem dançar kuduro" (with Lucenzo included).
In United States, Meet the Orphans debuted at #101 with sales of 7,420 on the Billboard 200. The album also debuted at #2 on Billboard’s Top Latin Albums charts, and became his seventh top ten album and his sixth highest album debut on the top ten, it also debuted at #1 on Billboard’s Latin Rhythm Albums charts and at #8 on Billboard’s Top Rap Albums charts. According to Universal Music Latino, the album certified platinum after its first week sales in Southern California. On the Mexican Albums Chart the album debuted at #81. The following week the album jumped at #69, and peaked at #47.
- "Hooka" was released as the first promotional single and it was released on iTunes on September 21, 2010. It features Plan B.
- "Good Looking" was released as the second promotional single and it was released on iTunes on September 28, 2010.
- "El Duro" was released as the third promotional single and it was released on iTunes on October 12, 2010. It features Kendo Kapponi.
- "Ángeles y Demonios" was released as the fourth promotional single and it was released on iTunes on October 19, 2010. It features Kendo Kapponi and Syko.
- "Danza Kuduro" was released as the album's lead single on August 15, 2010, it features French singer Lucenzo, who is of Portuguese origin. The song topped on the Billboard Latin Songs, becoming his second number-one single on the chart. A music video directed by long-time Don Omar collaborator Carlos Pérez was released on July 30, 2010 through Omar's Facebook account.
- "Huérfano De Amor" was released as the second single early 2011, the song features Syko. The music video was premiered on January 6, 2011. It was directed by Alejandro Santiago Ciena.
- "Taboo" was released as the album's third single on January 24, 2011. The video for this single was shot in St. Maarten and was directed by Marlon Pena. Additionally, it incorporates a sample from Kaoma's 1989 single "Lambada" fused with Latin beats.
- "Estoy Enamorado" included on the Deluxe Edition from the album, performed only by Danny Fornaris, was released to radio as the fourth single in conjunction to "Huérfano De Amor". The video for the song was released on March 10, 2011.
- "Hasta Abajo" was released as the album's promo single on November 17, 2009. The song was charted at number nine on the Billboard Latin Songs, becoming his seventh top ten single on the chart. The music video for the song, also directed by Carlos Pérez, was premiered on November 14, 2010.
|1.||"Orphanization" (featuring Kendo Kaponi & Syko)||William Landrón, Armando Rosario||Eliel||3:55|
|2.||"El Duro" (featuring Kendo Kaponi)||Landrón, Jose F Rivera||Dj Luian, Marcos G, Mercury||4:07|
|3.||"Hasta Abajo"||Landrón, Eliel Lind, Everton Bonner, John Taylor, Sly Dunbar, Lloyd Willis||Eliel||3:52|
|4.||"Hooka" (featuring Plan B)||Landrón, Lind, Raphy Pina||Eliel||3:58|
|5.||"Ángeles y Demonios" (featuring Kendo Kaponi & Syko)||Landrón, Rivera, Christian Ramos, Paul F Irizarry Suau||Dj Luian, Marcos G, Mercury||6:02|
|6.||"Good Looking"||Landrón, Daniel Fornaris||Danny Fornaris, Luny Tunes||4:19|
|7.||"Taboo"||Landrón, Gonzalo Hermosa, Ulises Hermosa, Milton Restituyo||A&X||4:52|
|8.||"Viviendo Con el Enemigo" (featuring Kendo Kaponi)||Landrón, Rivera, Restituyo, Juan A. Abreu||Danny Fornaris, A&X||4:25|
|9.||"Sr. Destino"||Landrón, Restituyo, Abreu, Joel Báez Nieves||A&X||3:44|
|10.||"Huérfano de Amor" (featuring Syko)||Landrón, Ramos||A&X, Marcos G||4:52|
|11.||"Ella, Ella" (featuring Zion & Lennox)||Landrón, Robin Mendez, Felix Ortiz, Gabriel Pizarro||Robin, Linkon||3:23|
|12.||"Danza Kuduro" (featuring Lucenzo)||Landrón, Philippe De Oliveira, Faouze Barkati, Fabrice Toigo||Lucenzo, A&X||3:19|
|13.||"Luna Llena"||Landrón, Restituyo, Abreu, Lincoln||A&X, Robin, Linkon||4:09|
|14.||"RX" (featuring Kendo Kaponi)||Landrón, Rivera||Danny Fornaris||3:45|
|iTunes bonus track|
|15.||"Carta al Cielo" (featuring Syko)||Landrón, Ramos, Restituyo, Abreu||A&X||5:10|
|16.||"La Batidora 2" (featuring Yaga y Mackie)||Landron||A&X||3:35|
|18.||"Dra. X"||Landron||A&X & Lincon||3:53|
|19.||"Danza Kuduro" (remix; featuring Lucenzo, Daddy Yankee & Arcangel)||Landron & Lucenzo||A&X||3:35|
|1.||"Orphanization" (featuring Kendo Kaponi & Syko)||Landrón, Rosario||3:55|
|2.||"El Duro" (featuring Kendo Kaponi)||Landrón, Rivera||4:07|
|3.||"Hasta Abajo"||Landrón, Lind, Bonner, Taylor, Dunbar, Willis||3:52|
|4.||"Hooka" (featuring Plan B)||Landrón, Lind, Pina||3:57|
|5.||"Ángeles y Demonios" (featuring Kendo Kaponi & Syko,)||Landrón, Rivera, Ramos, Irizarry||6:01|
|6.||"Good Looking"||Landrón, Fornaris||4:18|
|7.||"Taboo"||Landrón, Hermosa, Hermosa, Restituyo||4:52|
|8.||"Viviendo Con El Enemigo" (featuring Kendo Kaponi)||Landrón, Rivera, Restituyo, Abreu||4:24|
|9.||"Sr. Destino"||Landrón, Restituyo, Abreu, Baez||3:44|
|10.||"Luna Llena"||Landrón, Restituyo, Abreu, Lincoln||4:08|
|11.||"Huérfano De Amor" (featuring Syko)||Landrón, Ramos||4:52|
|12.||"Rx" (featuring Kendo Kaponi)||Landrón, Rivera||3:44|
|13.||"Ella Ella" (featuring Zion & Lennox)||Landrón, Mendez, Ortiz, Pizarro||3:22|
|14.||"Danza Kuduro" (featuring Lucenzo)||Landrón, De Oliveira, Barkati, Toigo||3:18|
|15.||"Vivos y Activos"||Landrón, Mendez||Robin, Linkon||3:46|
|16.||"Que Es La Que Hay" (featuring Kendo Kaponi & Syko)||Landrón, Mendez||A&X, Lil Wizard||4:06|
|17.||"Beyond 3000" (featuring Syko)||Ramos, Restituyo, Lincoln, Natalia Gutierrez||Linkon||3:30|
|18.||"Incognita" (featuring Kendo Kaponi)||Landrón, Ramos||Dj Luian, A&X||3:41|
|19.||"Estoy Enamorado" (Danny Fornaris)||Landrón, Fornaris||Danny Fornaris||3:21|
|iTunes bonus content|
|20.||"Carta al Cielo" (featuring Syko)||Landrón, Ramos, Restituyo, Abreu||5:10|
|21.||"Danza Kuduro" (featuring Lucenzo; music video)||3:56|
|Deluxe edition - bonus DVD|
|2.||"Hasta Abajo" (music video)||6:01|
|3.||"Danza Kuduro" (featuring Lucenzo; music video)||3:56|
- On the iTunes Store both editions include a Digital booklet as bonus content.
- In some Deluxe editions, the track list may included in different order, including the same tracks.
|Mexican Albums Chart||47|
|Spanish Albums Chart||45|
|US Latin Rhythm Albums||1|
|US Top Latin Albums||2|
|US Top Rap Albums||8|
|US Billboard 200||101|
A sequel of Meet the Orphans, called MTO 2: New Generation is in works. The release date has not beed announced yet but the previews of two songs were released through YouTube on April 17. One is called Tus Movimientos featuring Natti Natasha, and the other one is called Zumba. In the official website of Orphanato Music Group it is said that "the album will contain 14 songs that will make history in music".
- Don Omar Presents: Meet The Orphans - Don Omar Amazon.com Retrieved 2010-09-24.
- THE KING IS BACK! DON OMAR “DANZA KUDURO” IS #1 Universal Music Latin Entertainment Retrieved 2010-08-23.
- "Lista de nominados al Premio Lo Nuestro a la Música Latina". Terra Networks (in Spanish). Telefónica. December 1, 2011. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Don Omar vuelve a Buenos Aires con IDon 2.0 Terra
- Nuevo Disco de Don Omar, Prototype 2.0
- Daddy Yankee y Don Omar graban juntos en el 2009 Archived December 28, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Musica Danny
- Continuamos grabando MEET THE ORPHANS EPK @ NY, NUESTRA NUEVA FECHA DE SALIDA SERIA EL 24 DE AGOSTO, somos LOS DUROS Orfanato Music Group Twitter Retrieved July-06-10
- Una nueva apuesta de Don Omar diariohoy.net Retrieved July-06-10.
- on YouTube Retrieved 2010-09-06.
- Jeffries, David. "Review: Don Omar Presents: Meet the Orphans". Allmusic. Retrieved Dec 9, 2010.
- Allison Stewart(Posted: Nov 16, 2010). "Allison Stewart reviews 'Meet the Orphans' by Don Omar". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- "Latin Soundscan Report". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2010-11-25.
- "The King of Urban sales: Don Omar Presents "Meet The Orphans" Debuts #1 on Latin Rhythm Album chart". Universal. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- "Don Omar Receives Platinum plaque at his "Meet The Orphans" Instore in Southern California!!!". Universal. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- "Mexican Charts: Albums" (PDF). Mexican Charts. AMPROFON. 2010-11-21. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 30, 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- Hooka - Single by Don Omar (feat. Plan B) Archived November 11, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. iTunes.com Retrieved 2010-09-24
- Good Looking - Single by Don Omar (feat. Kendo Kapponi) Archived November 11, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. iTunes.com Retrieved 2010-10-20
- El Duro - Single by Don Omar (feat. Kendo Kapponi) Archived November 11, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. iTunes.com Retrieved 2010-10-14
- Ángeles y Demonios - Single by Don Omar (feat. Kendo Kapponi & Syko) Archived November 11, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. iTunes.com Retrieved 2010-10-20
- Danza Kuduro - Single by Don Omar & Lucenzo iTunes.com Retrieved 2010-08-18
- Conoce la "Danza Kuduro" de Don Omar esmas.com Retrieved 2010-08-18
- Don Omar Ft. Syko – Huérfano de Amor (Video) Wikiton. Retrieved 2011-01-10
- "Don Omar, 'Taboo' -- New Song". AOLRADIOBLOG. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "Don Omar releases new single "Taboo"". Universal Latino. Retrieved 2011-03-16.
- "Danny Fornaris – Estoy Enamorado (Official Video)". Orfanato Music Group. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- Hasta Abajo single by Don Omar Archived November 7, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. iTunes.apple.com
- Don Omar - Hasta Abajo (Video) Wikiton Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- Meet The Orphans - Album by Don Omar iTunes Retrieved 2010-11-16
- Meet The Orphans (Deluxe Edition) - Album by Don Omar iTunes Retrieved 2010-11-16
- Meet The Orphans (Deluxe Edition) - Album by Don Omar Archived July 13, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. J&R Retrieved 2010-11-26
- Meet The Orphans – Don Omar > Credits Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-11-19
- "Chelo - Meet the Orphans (album)". Ultratop 50. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2011-07-13.
- Don Omar Presents: Meet the Orphans - Billboard charts Billboard. Retrieved 2010-12-09
- "Don Omar ft Natti Natasha - Tus Movimientos (Preview)". Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- "Don Omar - Zumba (Preview)". Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- "MTO2: Contendrá 14 Temas Que Harán Historia En La Música" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2013-01-10.[permanent dead link]