Michael Falzarano performing with the New Riders of the Purple Sage at Bottom Lounge in Chicago on July 3, 2015
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, guitarist|
|Instruments||Electric guitar, |
|Associated acts||Hot Tuna, |
New Riders of the Purple Sage,
The Englishtown Project
Michael Falzarano is an American guitarist, singer, and songwriter. He has been a professional musician since the 1970s, most notably in Hot Tuna, the New Riders of the Purple Sage, and the Memphis Pilgrims, a Memphis-style rock and roll/blues band that he founded in 1986.
Falzarano released an album entitled We Are All One in 2008 on Woodstock Records and The King James Sessions in 2005 on Blues Planet Records. A re-released version of the song "Last Train Out," which he wrote in memory of the Allman Brothers Band and Gov't Mule bass player Allen Woody, appears on the record. Blues Planet re-released Mecca, an album that Falzarano and the Memphis Pilgrims originally released in 1996 on Relix Records with guests Jorma Kaukonen, Pete Sears, and Harvey Sorgen of Hot Tuna and Danny Louis of Gov't Mule.
When not performing with his own band, Falzarano can be seen with Hot Tuna, the Jorma Kaukonen Trio, and the New Riders of the Purple Sage. Falzarano also produces other artists, and teaches guitar workshops at Jorma Kaukonen’s Fur Peace Ranch.
In 2013, Falzarano's original composition "When There's Two There's Trouble" was featured in Alexandre Moors' critically acclaimed film "Blue Caprice" with Isaiah Washington, Tim Blake Nelson, and Joey Lauren Adams. Falzarano also appears in the movie.
Michael is currently touring with his band, The Englishtown Project, covering Grateful Dead, New Riders of the Purple Sage, and Marshall Tucker Band songs.
- Pair a Dice Found – Hot Tuna (1990)
- Live at Sweetwater – Hot Tuna (1992)
- Live at Sweetwater Two – Hot Tuna (1993)
- The Land of Heroes – Jorma Kaukonen (1995)
- Mecca – Memphis Pilgrims (1996)
- Christmas – Jorma Kaukonen (1996)
- Live in Japan – Hot Tuna (1997)
- Too Many Years – Jorma Kaukonen (1998)
- Rusted Root – Rusted Root (1998)
- Jorma Kaukonen Trio Live – Jorma Kaukonen (1999)
- And Furthurmore... – Hot Tuna (1999)
- The King James Sessions – Michael Falzarano (2006)
- Wanted: Live at Turkey Trot – New Riders of the Purple Sage (2007)
- We Are All One – Michael Falzarano (2008)
- Where I Come From – New Riders of the Purple Sage (2009)
- 17 Pine Avenue – New Riders of the Purple Sage (2012)
- I Got Blues for Ya – Michael Falzarano (2014)
- Michael Falzarano at AllMusic
- Memphis Pilgrims at AllMusic
- Michael Falzarano discography at michaelfalzarano.com
- Bendersky, Ari. "Hot Tuna in the Raw", Rolling Stone, April 24, 1998.
- Bernstein, Scott. Michael Falzarano interview, Glide Magazine
- Collette, Doug. We Are All One album review, All About Jazz
- Conway, Jud. We Are All One album review, KindWeb, December 1, 2008