Michael L. Brown
|Michael L. Brown|
Dr. Michael L. Brown
March 16, 1955 |
New York, NY
|Residence||Charlotte, North Carolina|
|Alma mater||New York University|
|Occupation||Author, speaker, radio host, professor|
|Spouse(s)||Nancy Gurian Conway Brown (married 1977)|
Michael L Brown (born 1955) is an American Messianic Jew, radio host, conservative and author. His nationally syndicated radio show, The Line of Fire, airs throughout the United States. He is also president and professor of practical theology at Fellowship for International Revival and Evangelism School of Ministry. He has also served as adjunct professor of Old Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, IL and adjunct professor of Jewish apologetics at Fuller Theological Seminary School of World Mission. He has contributed to the Oxford Dictionary of Jewish Religion, and the Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament.
He started the FIRE School of Ministry in 2001.
He debated Shmuley Boteach about the compatibility of a belief in Jesus and Judaism more than 15 times since 2004. He also debated Tovia Singer, Moshe Otero, J. Immanuel Schochet and David Blumofe on the same issue.
He is also a continuationist, believing that the New Testament spiritual gifts have not ceased. He has written Authentic Fire as a response to John MacArthur's book Strange Fire. He has also debated Sam Waldron,Phil Johnson, and James White on this issue. In August of 2015, he challenged J.D. Hall to debate as well.
Stance towards homosexuality
He has been controversial for some of his actions regarding homosexuality. He has argued that a gay Evangelical Christian is something like a traditional Catholic who denies the legitimacy of the papal office, or an Orthodox Jew who believes that pork is kosher. He also states that no new textual, archeological, sociological, anthropological, nor philological discoveries that have been made in the last fifty years that would cause us to read any of the biblical texts regarding homosexuality differently. He argues that nothing has changed in terms of what Scripture teaches, which is why almost no one through the centuries has thought to use the Bible to sanction homosexual relationships—that is, until our day, and this is simply the fruit of the sexual revolution of the 1960s, not the fruit of dramatic new insights that would cause us to turn the Bible on its head.
Some of his actions in the Charlotte, North Carolina area have drawn criticism from members of the LGBTQ media, who criticized his decision to march in protest at the 2011 Pride Charlotte Festival. He has debated Eric Smaw and Harry Knox on homosexuality and its relationship to Christianity. He has also appeared on the Piers Morgan program.
Because of his stances on homosexuality, he has been profiled extensively to be among the groups and leaders that the Southern Poverty Law Center considers to be hate groups. In September 2012, the Southern Poverty Law Center's Intelligence Report named Brown among "30 New Activists Heading Up the Radical Right."
In addition to his own publications, he has contributed to several publications including Oxford Dictionary of Jewish Religion and Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament.:7 He contributed a chapter to The Gospel According to Isaiah 53: Encountering the Suffering Servant in ... about the Jewish view of the "Suffering Servant" based on his heritage and belief that Jesus is the Messiah.:61-83 His most prominent academic publication is the commentary on Jeremiah in the Expositor's Bible Commentary series.
- Hyper-Grace: Exposing the Dangers of the Modern Grace Message (2014) ISBN 978-1621365891
- The Real Kosher Jesus: Revealing the Mysteries of the Hidden Messiah (2012) ISBN 978-1621360070
- 60 Questions Christians Ask About Jewish Beliefs and Practices (2011) ISBN 978-0800795047
- A Queer Thing Happened to America: And What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been (2011) ISBN 978-0615406091
- Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus: General and Historical Objections, Vol. 1 (2000) ISBN 978-0801060632 Baker Books
- Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus: Theological Objections Vol. 2 (2000) ISBN 978-0801063343 Baker Books
- Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus: Messianic Prophecy Objections, Vol. 3 (2003) ISBN 978-0801064234 Baker Books
- Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus: New Testament Objections: Vol. 4 (2006) ISBN 978-0801064265
- Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus:Traditional Jewish Objections Vol 5 (2010) ISBN 978-1881022862
- It's Time to Rock the Boat (1993) ISBN 978-1560431060
- How Saved Are We? (1990) ISBN 978-1560430551
- Go And Sin No More: A Call To Holiness (1999) ISBN 978-0615730196
- Israel's Divine Healer (1995) ISBN 978-0310200291
- A Time For Holy Fire: Preparing the Way for Divine Visitation (2008) ISBN 978-0981530413
- What Do Jewish People Think about Jesus?: And Other Questions Christians Ask about Jewish Beliefs, Practices, and History (2007) ISBN 978-0800794262
- The Revival Answer Book (2001) ISBN 978-0830726417
- The End of the American Gospel Enterprise (1993) ISBN 978-1560430025
- Revolution!: The Call to Holy War (2000) ISBN 978-0830726400
- Let No One Deceive You (1997) ISBN 978-1560436935
- Our Hands Are Stained with Blood (1992) ISBN 978-1560430681
- Can You Be Gay and Christian?: Responding With Love and Truth to Questions About Homosexuality (2014) ISBN 978-1621365938
- Jeremiah--Ezekiel (The Expositor's Bible Commentary) (2010) with Tremper Longman III, David E. Garland, Paul Ferris Jr. ISBN 978-0310234999 Zondervan
- The Gospel According to Isaiah 53: Encountering the Suffering Servant in ... at Google Books
- "Major Split at Brownsville - News Report". Sermon Index. Retrieved 19 July 2015.
- "Denver Seminary > Messianic Judaism Scholars". Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- Round, Simon (May 22, 2008). "How Michael Jackson's rabbi moved on to Oprah". The Jewish Chronicle Online. Retrieved February 28, 2011.
- "Tovia Singer Debates Michael Brown". Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Dr. Michael Brown and Rabbi Moshe Otero Dialogue". Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Is Jesus the Jewish Messiah? Michael Brown vs. Rabbi Immanuel Schochet". Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- Manta http://www.manta.com/c/mm8y3sh/i-c-n-ministries. Missing or empty
- "Author Profile". Awakening the One New Man.
- "A Shameful Day in Evangelical Christian Publishing". Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- Comer, Matt (August 20, 2011). "Indeed, God has a better way". QNotes. Retrieved December 28, 2013.
- "Southern Poverty Law Center > Intelligence File: Michael Brown". Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- "30 New Activists Heading Up the Radical Right" (146). Southern Poverty Law Center Intelligence Report. Summer 2012. Retrieved December 29, 2013.
- "Can you be Gay and Christian? Michael Brown vs. Harry Knox". Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- Works by or about Michael L. Brown in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Michael Brown's Website
- Michael Brown's Townhall Column
- Fire School of Ministry
- vs. Tovia Singer Radio Debate (1991)
- vs. David Blumofe Who is Jesus?
- vs. Shmuley Boteach Can Jews Believe in Jesus?