Michael McDonald (MMA)
|Born||Michael Robert McDonald
January 15, 1991
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9 st 9 lb)|
|Reach||70 in (178 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Modesto, California|
|Rank||Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Years active||2007 - present|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Michael Robert McDonald (born Modesto, California) is an American mixed martial artist who competes in the bantamweight division of the UFC. A professional fighter since 2007, McDonald fought mostly in regional promotions in his home state of California before signing with Zuffa in 2010. As of August 17, 2015, he is #5 in the official UFC bantamweight rankings.January 15, 1991 in
McDonald started training in kickboxing at the age of ten, turned to mixed martial arts at 14, and turned professional at 16 in 2007. He also has two brothers who have careers in mixed martial arts. McDonald graduated in 2009 from Grace M. Davis High School.
He gained notable wins on the regional circuit defeating WEC veteran Manny Tapia and former WEC Featherweight Champion, Cole Escovedo. Against the latter, McDonald later avenged his only professional defeat, which also earned him the Tachi Palace Fights Bantamweight title with a second round KO. In the summer of 2010, he was listed as one of the top rising stars under the age of 25.
World Extreme Cagefighting
In September 2010, at age 19, McDonald became the youngest fighter on the Zuffa roster when he signed with the WEC. He defeated Clint Godfrey via first round submission in his promotional debut on November 11, 2010 at WEC 52.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
McDonald was expected to face Nick Pace on March 26, 2011 at UFC Fight Night 24. However, Pace was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by promotional newcomer Edwin Figueroa. McDonald won the fight via unanimous decision. The fight was highly entertaining with both fighters exchanging strikes and submission attempts throughout the entire fight and earned Fight of the Night honors.
McDonald was expected to face Johnny Eduardo on November 19, 2011 at UFC 139. However, Eduardo was forced from the card with an injury and replaced by promotional newcomer Alex Soto. McDonald defeated Soto via first round KO, earning Knockout of the Night honors. McDonald clipped Soto with a counter right hand and then swarmed Soto with a flurry of punches against the fence, forcing the referee to stop the bout just 59 seconds into the first round.
On December 4, 2012, UFC President Dana White announced that the UFC Bantamweight Champion Dominick Cruz had reinjured his ACL requiring surgery and would be out for 6–9 months. McDonald faced the UFC Interim Bantamweight Champion Renan Barão on February 16, 2013 at UFC on Fuel TV: Barão vs. McDonald. McDonald was competitive with capable take-down defense and crisp boxing - particularly in the first two rounds - but ultimately succumbed to Barão's more diverse skillset as he mixed in knees and kicks standing together with take-downs. Barão secured an arm-triangle choke at 3:57 of the fourth round, forcing the tap from McDonald.
McDonald faced Brad Pickett on August 17, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 26. He dominated the first round, almost finishing Pickett with strikes before gaining a second round submission victory with a triangle choke. The win also earned McDonald his first Submission of the Night award, and he and Pickett earned the Fight of the Night bonus award as well.
McDonald faced Urijah Faber on December 14, 2013 at UFC on Fox 9. After a back and forth first round, Faber stunned McDonald in the second with a flurry of punches, McDonald went to the canvas and Faber jumped on him and finished the fight by submission due to a guillotine choke.
After being sidelined for all of 2014 nursing a litany of injuries, including hand and wrist surgeries, McDonald is aiming for a mid-2015 return.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|19 matches||16 wins||3 losses|
|Loss||16–3||Urijah Faber||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Benavidez 2||December 14, 2013||2||3:22||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||16–2||Brad Pickett||Submission (triangle choke)||UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Sonnen||August 17, 2013||2||3:43||Boston, Massachusetts, United States||Fight of the Night. Submission of the Night.|
|Loss||15–2||Renan Barão||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald||February 16, 2013||4||3:57||London, England||For the Interim UFC Bantamweight Championship.|
|Win||15–1||Miguel Torres||KO (punches)||UFC 145||April 21, 2012||1||3:18||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Win||14–1||Alex Soto||KO (punches)||UFC 139||November 19, 2011||1||0:56||San Jose, California, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||13–1||Chris Cariaso||Decision (split)||UFC 130||May 28, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–1||Edwin Figueroa||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Davis||March 26, 2011||3||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||11–1||Clint Godfrey||Submission (armbar)||WEC 52||November 11, 2010||1||2:42||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||10–1||Cole Escovedo||KO (punches)||TPF 5: Stars and Strikes||July 9, 2010||2||1:12||Lemoore, California, United States||Won TPF Bantamweight Championship.|
|Win||9–1||Manny Tapia||TKO (punches)||TPF 3: Champions Collide||February 4, 2010||1||4:31||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||8–1||Carlos Garces||TKO (punches)||TPF 1: Tachi Palace Fights 1||October 8, 2009||1||2:01||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Loss||7–1||Cole Escovedo||TKO (punches)||PFC 13: Validation||May 8, 2009||2||2:25||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||7–0||Jason Georgianna||TKO (punches)||PFC 12: High Stakes||January 22, 2009||1||2:38||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||6–0||Randy Rodoni||KO (punch)||Gladiator Challenge 86: Day of the Dead||November 2, 2008||1||0:47||Porterville, California, United States|
|Win||5–0||Fernando Arreola||Submission (D'Arce choke)||Gladiator Challenge 84: Bad Blood||September 7, 2008||1||3:49||Porterville, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||Javier Vargas||TKO (punches)||Gladiator Challenge 81: Lights Out||July 27, 2008||1||1:38||Porterville, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Steve Frano||TKO (punches)||Gladiator Challenge 78: No Limits||May 18, 2008||1||1:17||Porterville, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Dominic Pena||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Gladiator Challenge 76: Alpha Dog Challenge||March 17, 2008||1||1:12||Porterville, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Joe Corona||Submission (triangle choke)||Gladiator Challenge 71: Lock-N-Load||November 11, 2007||1||1:17||Porterville, California, United States|
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Fight Path: Training since age 10, TPF champ Michael McDonald besting family tradition". mmajunkie.com. July 15, 2010.
- "Michael McDonald Davis High Alumni". Retrieved 2014.
- "The Top 25 MMA Fighters Under The Age Of 25". bleacherreport.com. July 21, 2010.
- "Clint Godfrey returns at WEC 52, meets newcomer Michael McDonald". mmajunkie.com. September 9, 2010.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "Michael McDonald vs. Nick Pace targeted for UFC Fight Night 24 in Seattle". mmajunkie.com. January 11, 2011.
- "Edwin Figueroa Replaces Nick Pace at UFC Fight Night 24, Faces Michael McDonald". mmaweekly.com. March 16, 2011.
- Luke Thomas (2011-03-26). "UFC Fight Night 24 Results: Michael McDonald beats Edwin Figueroa in a thrilling scrap". sbnation.com. Retrieved 2011-03-26.
- Morgan, John; Stupp, Dann (March 27, 2011). "UFC Fight Night 24 bonuses: Jung, Hendricks, McDonald, Figueroa get $55K awards". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved July 5, 2011.
- "McDonald replaces injured "Kid" Yamamoto, meets Cariaso at UFC 130". mmajunkie.com. April 28, 2011.
- Brian Hemminger (2011-05-28). "UFC 130 results: Michael McDonald squeaks by Chris Cariaso with a split decision victory". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- "Michael McDonald vs. Johnny Eduardo added to UFC 139 fight card". mmaweekly.com. September 28, 2011.
- "Newcomer Alex Soto meets Michael McDonald at next week's UFC 139 event". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- Brian Hemminger (2011-11-19). "UFC 139 results: Michael McDonald destroys Alex Soto". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2011-11-19.
- "UFC 139 bonuses: McDonald, Faber, Henderson, 'Shogun,' Silva, Le earn $70K awards". mmajunkie.com. 2010-11-20.
- "UFC 145: Miguel Torres vs Michael McDonald fight announced". mmamania.com. January 20, 2012.
- Staff (2012-04-21). "UFC 145 results: Michael McDonald floors Miguel Torres for first-round knockout". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "Renan Barao-Michael McDonald title fight set for UFC on FUEL TV 7 in London". mmajunkie.com. December 6, 2012.
- A.J. Perez (2013-02-16). "UFC London: Barao beats McDonald". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2013-02-16.
- Mike Bohn (2013-06-04). "Brad Pickett vs. Michael McDonald added to UFC on FOX Sports 1 debut event in Boston". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- Ben Fowlkes (2013-08-17). "UFC Fight Night 26 results and photos: Michael McDonald taps out Brad Pickett". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- Staff (2013-08-17). "UFC Fight Night 26 bonuses: Browne, Brown, Sonnen, McDonald, Pickett earn awards". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- Damon Martin (2013-09-11). "Urijah Faber vs. Michael McDonald Set as Co-Main Event for UFC on Fox 9". bleacherreport.com. Retrieved 2013-09-11.
- Ben Fowlkes (2013-12-14). "UFC on FOX 9 results, photos: Urijah Faber drills Michael McDonald, then submits him". mmajunkie.com.
- Mookie Alexander (2014-11-20). "UFC bantamweight Michael McDonald aims for spring 2015 return following wrist surgery". bloodyelbow.com.
- Damon Martin (2015-11-09). "Michael McDonald returns to face Masanori Kanehara at UFC 195". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2015-11-09.