White in February 2008
|Born||Dana Frederick White, Jr.
July 28, 1969
Manchester, Connecticut, U.S.
|Residence||Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.|
White was born in Manchester, Connecticut, the son of June and Dana White, Sr. He and his sister Kelly were raised by his mother and her family the majority of his childhood. He is of Irish descent. He began boxing at age 17 and graduated from Hermon High School in Maine in 1987.
Ultimate Fighting Championship (2001–present)
While working as a manager for Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell, White learned that Semaphore Entertainment Group, the parent company of the UFC, was looking for a buyer for the UFC. White contacted childhood friend Lorenzo Fertitta, an executive at Station Casinos and a former commissioner of the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Within a month, in January 2001, Lorenzo and his older brother Frank bought the UFC with White installed as its president. White owns 9% of Zuffa, LLC, the entity the Fertitta brothers created to own and manage the UFC. In July 2016 the UFC was sold to a consortium of investors led by WME-IMG. White confirmed the sale though did not announce the price. He added that he would be continuing in his role as president.
In 2007, White accused Top Rank Boxing Promoter, Bob Arum of "sucking the life out of the sport (boxing) and not putting anything back in." Amongst White's criticisms were that Arum had created a weak undercard for the Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather superfight in 2007 by not promoting the show correctly. "He promoted that show completely the wrong way, because he worried about the money as opposed to trying to secure the future", White said. "He should have stacked that card. He should have had Shane Mosley and Bernard Hopkins and [Marco Antonio] Barrera and Winky Wright on there and used it to show that boxing is back." Arum responded by saying that MMA fighters need to examine the revenues being generated and ask why the UFC was not paying them more. White has also said that Arum is the "Dumbest promoter in the history of the world", an "idiot" and a "moron". Arum retorted that MMA fighters are "guys rolling around like homosexuals on the ground." Earlier in the year, Arum described UFC President Dana White as "nuts" and "a little too much of a loose cannon."
White and former UFC Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight champion Randy Couture have had some controversy. White stated in an interview that he has "no respect for Couture, not even a little. The only time when he's ever a man is when he steps in that cage." When Couture retired from the sport and then subsequently signed on with Spike and Bellator, White claimed that Couture "Lied to me, not even to my face, not over the phone, but through text."
Among White's many feuds, his most publicized has been his feud with former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion and UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz. Their feud began soon after White became president of the UFC when he told Ortiz he could no longer be his manager. Ortiz felt betrayed. Ortiz then stated that White "Never did anything for him," and White stated he did not get paid "a fucking dime." Their feud got to the point to where the two agreed to fight in a three-round exhibition boxing match. Eventually, Ortiz pulled out of the match by not showing up the day of the weigh-ins. In 2014, White even stated in an interview that "I used to beat the living shit out of Tito Ortiz."
In 2008, At the weigh ins for UFC 84 Ortiz wore a T-shirt saying "Dana is my Bitch." White also stated in an interview that Ortiz is the "Cheapest Motherfucker on the planet Earth." In 2013, Ortiz called White a "Slave master" and White responded by stating that Ortiz was a "Fucking buffoon" and "One of the dumbest motherfuckers you'll ever meet." In 2014, Ortiz accused the UFC of "Erasing my legacy," after his record of 15 wins was revised and Jon Jones was named the record holder for most wins in the light heavyweight weight class. Ortiz referenced the personal dispute with White as a reason for the revision, and he furthered his attacks on White with allegations of steroid use.
White has been very vocal about his dislike of former UFC fighter and openweight champion Ken Shamrock. Shamrock had been known to ally himself with other fighting promotions competing with the UFC, have litigious contract disputes with White, and take issues with White personally.
There was also one point when Shamrock filed a lawsuit against White, in which the judge ruled in the UFC's favor. White stated that Shamrock owes him money for the lawsuit and stated that he had done so much for the former UFC great and felt the MMA legend was ungrateful for his efforts.
In a 2009 video blog, upset with reporting and comments made by mixed martial arts reporter Loretta Hunt, White used expletives and derogatory language when referring to Hunt. He also used expletives when referring to sources for some news reports, including an anti-gay slur.
- The League, as The Goon, in episode: "The Goon" (2013)
In 2011, White's mother wrote a book about him titled Dana White, King of MMA: Dana White an Unauthorized Biography. In an interview promoting the book, she called her son "egotistical, self-centered, arrogant, and cruel”.
In May 2012, White revealed that he had been diagnosed with Ménière's disease. The UFC on Fuel TV 3: "Korean Zombie vs. Poirier" event was to be the first he had missed in 11 years with White staying home as per doctors' orders. White is undergoing Orthokine treatment for Ménière's disease, which he says has greatly reduced his symptoms.
- Nevada Sportsman of the Year (2009)
- Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards
- World MMA Awards
- Leading Man of the Year 2015
- Leading Man of the Year 2014
- Leading Man of the Year 2013
- Leading Man of the Year 2012
- Leading Man of the Year 2011
- Leading Man of the Year 2010
- Armed Forces Foundation
- Patriot Award
- Lifetime Achievement Award (2013 Awards Year)
- MMA Freak
- Tabuena, Anton (14 July 2014). "Video: Learn Dana White's full name, and the first street fight he ever organized". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "Fight Night London: Dana White Post-Fight Presser Scrum". YouTube. 2014-03-09. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- "UFC President Dana White gives $100,000 to fix up Hermon athletic complex". Bangor Daily News. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- Wickert, Marc (2004). "Dana White and the future of UFC". Knucklepit.com. Mirror
- McCarthy, Michael (2005-04-10). "Battles yield winning 'Fighter'". USA Today. Retrieved 2007-03-25.
- "The hugely popular mixed martial arts league UFC has been sold for $4 billion". Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "Dana White calls Bob Arum 'the dumbest promoter in the history of the world' for giving Pacquiao a hard fight". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- "UFC boss Dana White credits Alex Rodriguez, Orthokine for beating Meniere's". Mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- [dead link]
- Thomas, Luke (23 January 2014). "Dana White: 'I used to beat the living s--t out of Tito Ortiz'". Mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- Randall, Matt. "Tito Ortiz: The King of the T-Shirts". M.bleacherreport.com.
- John Heinis (2013-09-25). "Dana White: 'Tito Ortiz Is the Cheapest Mother****** on Planet Earth' | Bleacher Report". M.bleacherreport.com. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- "Obvious Statement of the Day: Dana White Thinks Tito Ortiz is "One of the Dumbest Motherfuckers You Will Ever Meet"". Cagepotato.com. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- ShinSplints (27 April 2014). "Tito Ortiz accuses UFC of erasing his legacy after UFC 172". Bloodyellow.com. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- Bradley Taylor , Tito Ortiz says UFC is 'rewriting history' after being removed from Hall of Fame, GiveMeSport.com, April 2014.
- Rondina, Steven. "Former UFC Stars on the Outs with Dana". Bleacherreport.com. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- "The Danavlog Where He Calls Loretta Hunt a Bunch of Very Bad Words - Cagepotato". Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "Dana White, King of Mma". Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "Dana White's mom calls him a "prick" and "tyrant," who turned his back on his family". Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "Dana White Tells Playboy About His Atheism, Steroid Use and Love for Donald Trump". Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "UFC boss fights clock". 2009-07-07. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- Kevin Iole. "Dana White diagnosed with Ménière's disease, misses first live UFC card in more than 11 years". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- "Dana White honored as "Sportsman of the Year" while $2K awarded to The Caring Place. Dana White has been quoted as saying "June 26, 2010 is the happiest day of my life.". MMAjunkie. 2009-07-27. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- Meltzer, Dave (January 26, 2011). "Biggest issue of the year: The 2011 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards Issue". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Campbell, CA: 1–40. ISSN 1083-9593.
- Meltzer, Dave (January 30, 2012). "Jan 30 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: Gigantic year-end awards issue, best and worst in all categories plus UFC on FX 1, death of Savannah Jack, ratings, tons and tons of news". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Campbell, CA. ISSN 1083-9593.
- Meltzer, Dave (January 23, 2013). "The 2012 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Annual Awards Issue". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Campbell, California. ISSN 1083-9593.
- Meltzer, Dave (January 27, 2014). "Jan 27 2014 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: 2013 Annual awards issue, best in the world in numerous categories, plus all the news in pro-wrestling and MMA over the past week and more". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Campbell, California: 34. ISSN 1083-9593.
- Meltzer, Dave (January 25, 2016). "January 25, 2016 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: 2015 Observer Awards Issue". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Campbell, California: 46. ISSN 1083-9593.
- Mrosko, Geno. (2009-03-19) UFCs Dana White accepts Patriot Award for humanitarian efforts to raise money for injured soldiers. MMAmania.com. Retrieved on 2012-04-23.
- "MMAInsider.net MMAInsider's 2013 Annual Awards: The Results". Mmainsider.net. 27 December 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dana White.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Dana White|