|Area(s)||Writer, Penciller, Artist, Inker|
|The Puma Blues, The Sandman|
Michael Zulli is an American artist known for his work as an animal and wildlife illustrator and as a comic book illustrator.
Michael Zulli's comic book career began in October 1986 with the comic book The Puma Blues, on which he collaborated with writer Stephen Murphy. The monthly title was published by Dave Sim's Aardvark One International and later by Mirage Studios. Zulli's illustrations of the characters, wildlife and natural landscapes in the polluted post-industrial environment of the story's not-too-distant future. The ecological warnings of the series put forward an argument for natural conservation and against the abuse and pollution of the natural environment. The series was published for 23 issues and a mini-comic half issue, ending in 1989. Zulli illustrated stories for the Mirage Studios characters the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
He drew a never-published issue of DC Comics' Swamp Thing in which the title character meets Jesus Christ. In the 1990s another unfinished and unpublished story, Sweeney Todd, written by Neil Gaiman and illustrated by Zulli for Stephen R. Bissette's publication Taboo was stopped when the anthology itself was discontinued. By this time, Zulli had received the attention of many writers, editors and artists in the comics industry. In 1990 he guest pencilled issue #13 of DC Comics' nascent Vertigo series The Sandman written by Gaiman. This story introduced the Hob Gadling character. Zulli would illustrate seven Sandman issues including the final Sandman story arc "The Wake". Zulli and Gaiman collaborated on a comics adaptation of Alice Cooper's The Last Temptation in 1994. After The Sandman series ended, he had a gallery show called "Visions of the Wake" in New York City. He also began illustrating for several newer Vertigo imprint titles including Winter's Edge, Witchcraft: La Terreur and Sandman Presents: Love Street. He was one of the artists on the Shade limited series which spun off from the Starman series.
- 1986-1988: The Puma Blues 1-19 – penciller/inker (Aardvark One International)
- 1988-1989: The Puma Blues 20-23, mini-comic - penciller/inker (Mirage Studios)
- 1988: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 31, 35-36 - writer/penciller/inker (Mirage Studios)
- 1989: Taboo 2 – writer/penciller/inker (Spiderbaby Grafix)
- 1990: The Sandman 13 – penciller (DC Comics)
- 1990: Taboo 4 – penciller/inker (Spiderbaby Grafix)
- 1991: Taboo 5 – writer/penciller (Spiderbaby Grafix)
- 1991: Tundra Sketchbook Series 3 – penciller (Tundra Publishing)
- 1992: Legends of Arzach 2 – penciller (Tundra Publishing, Ltd.)
- 1992: Taboo 6 – penciller (Spiderbaby Grafix)
- 1992: Taboo 7 – penciller/inker (Spiderbaby Grafix)
- 1993: Angels and Visitations – penciller/inker (Vertigo)
- 1993: Guest of Honor – penciller (no publisher)
- 1994: A Death Gallery 1 – penciller/inker (Vertigo)
- 1994: The Sandman 50 – penciller/inker (Vertigo)
- 1994: Roarin' Rick's Rarebit Friends 8-9 – penciller/inker (King Hell)
- 1994: Starman 3 – penciller/inker (DC Comics)
- 1994: Alice Cooper: The Last Temptation 1-3 – penciller/inker (Marvel Comics/Marvel Music)
- 1994: The Staros Report 2 – penciller (Star House)
- 1994: Witchcraft 4 – penciller/inker (Vertigo)
- 1994: Turtle Soup 4 – penciller/inker (Mirage Studios)
- 1995: The Sandman 53 – penciller (Vertigo)
- 1995: Witchblade 47 - penciller/inker (Top Cow Productions/Image Comics)
- 1996: The Dreaming 8 – penciller/inker (Vertigo)
- 1996: The Sandman 70-72 – penciller (issues weren't inked) (Vertigo)
- 1996: Seekers into the Mystery 6-9 – penciller/inker (Vertigo)
- 1997: Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold 1 – penciller/inker (Vertigo)
- 1997: The Shade 4 – penciller/inker (DC Comics)
- 1998: Vertigo: Winter's Edge 3 – penciller/inker (Vertigo)
- 1998: Witchcraft: La Terreur 1-3 – penciller/inker (Vertigo)
- 1998: Longshot: Fools – penciller (Marvel Comics)
- 1999: Batman: No Man's Land 1 – penciller (DC Comics)
- 1999: Star Wars Tales 13 – penciller/inker (Dark Horse Comics)
- 1999: Webspinners: Tales of Spider-Man 1-3 – penciller/inker (Marvel Comics)
- 2000: The Quotable Sandman – penciller (Vertigo)
- 2000: The Sandman Presents: Love Street 1-3 – penciller (Vertigo)
- 2000: Vertigo Secret Files and Origins: Swamp Thing – penciller/inker (Vertigo)
- 2000-2001: Legends of the DC Universe 33-36 – penciller (DC Comics)
- 2001: Delicate Creatures – penciller/inker (Image Comics/Top Cow Productions)
- 2002: 9-11: The World's Finest Comic Book Writers & Artists Tell Stories to Remember, Volume Two – penciller/inker (DC Comics)
- 2002: Grendel: Red, White and Black 4 - penciller (Vertigo)
- 2004: Creatures of the Night – penciller/inker/painter (Dark Horse Comics)
- 2007: The Facts in the Case of the Departure of Miss Finch – penciller/inker/painter (Dark Horse Comics)
- 2011: The Fracture of the Universal Boy – writer/penciller/inker
- 1996 Eisner Award Nominated for Best Serialized Story (with Neil Gaiman for "The Wake", in The Sandman #70-72)
- 1996 Eisner Award Nominated for Best Best Penciller/Inker (for "The Wake")
- 1996 Eisner Award Nominated for Best Comics-Related Item (for Sandman: The Wake poster)
- "Michael Zulli". Lambiek Comiclopedia. 2012. Archived from the original on March 8, 2012. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- Michael Zulli at the Grand Comics Database
- "Rick Veitch Quits Swamp Thing". The Comics Journal. Fantagraphics Books (129): 7–11. May 1989.
- "Swamp Thing Cancellation Begets Protest, Media Attention". The Comics Journal. Fantagraphics Books (130): 28–29. July 1989.
- Johnston, Rich (June 5, 2012). "Get Your Free Neil Gaiman And Michael Zulli Sweeney Todd Comic Here". Bleeding Cool. Archived from the original on July 9, 2012. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- Bender, Hy (1999). The Sandman Companion. New York, New York: DC Comics. pp. 56–57. ISBN 978-1563894657.
- Burgas, Greg (January 7, 2013). "Comics You Should Own – Sandman". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on April 10, 2014.
- Manning, Matthew K.; Dolan, Hannah, ed. (2010). "1980s". DC Comics Year By Year A Visual Chronicle. London, United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. p. 238. ISBN 978-0-7566-6742-9.
The Sandman saw a variety of artists grace its pages. Sam Kieth drew the first few issues, followed by Mike Dringenberg, Chris Bachalo, Michael Zulli, Kelley Jones, Charles Vess, Colleen Doran, and Shawn McManus, among others.
- "SDCC Announcement – Neil Gaiman, Alice Cooper and Michael Zulli Celebrate the 20th Anniversary of The Last Temptation with Fully Remastered Deluxe Edition from Dynamite". Westfield Comics. July 17, 2013. Archived from the original on August 21, 2013. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- Manning "1990s" in Dolan, p. 281: "The Shade...nabbed his first miniseries in April , courtesy of writer James Robinson and artist Gene Ha, J. H. Williams III, Bret Blevins, and Michael Zulli."
- "1996 Will Eisner Comic Industry Award Nominees and Winners". Hahn Library Comic Book Awards Almanac. Archived from the original on July 25, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michael Zulli.|