This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Benson in 2016
|Member of the Minnesota Senate|
from the 31st district
|Assumed office |
January 4, 2011
|Preceded by||Debbie Johnson|
|Born||September 11, 1968|
|Residence||Ham Lake, Minnesota|
|Alma mater||St. Catherine University (BA)|
University of St. Thomas (MBA)
Michelle R. Benson (born September 11, 1968) is an American accountant and politician who is a Republican member of the Minnesota Senate. She represents Senate District 31, which includes portions of Anoka, Isanti and Sherburne counties in the northern Twin Cities metropolitan area. Benson also serves as a deputy majority leader.
Early life, education, and career
Benson was raised on a farm near Murdock, Minnesota. She graduated from Kerkhoven-Murdock-Sunberg High School, then went on to receive a bachelor's degree in chemistry from St. Catherine University in Saint Paul. She later attended the University of St. Thomas, where she earned an M.B.A. Benson is also a certified public accountant. She worked as an auditor and consultant at Deloitte & Touche, as well as executive director of the Upper Midwest Security Alliance.
Benson was first elected in 2010 and was re-elected in 2012 and 2016. She currently serves as chair of the Senate Health and Human Services Finance and Policy Committee and is a deputy majority leader.
Benson has been a Boy Scout and Cub Scout leader, and a board member, treasurer, secretary and administrator for The Way of the Shepherd Catholic Montessori School. She is a member of the North Metro Chamber of Commerce, the Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants, the National Federation of Independent Businesses, and the National Rifle Association.
Benson and her husband, Craig, live in Ham Lake. They have three children. Her husband filed for bankruptcy in 2018, citing the outstanding debts on a business acquired in 2013 that later failed.
- Cutts, Emily (October 2, 2010). "Senate District 49: Two Ham Lake candidates square off". Twin Cities. Retrieved December 31, 2017.
- "Benson, Michelle R. - Legislator Record - Minnesota Legislators Past & Present". www.leg.state.mn.us. Retrieved December 31, 2017.
- "Legislator Record - Benson, Michelle R". Minnesota Legislators Past & Present. Retrieved December 8, 2012.
-  Archived May 13, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- "Senate Republicans put emphasis on health care in new committee structure - Minnesota Senate Republicans". Minnesota Senate Republicans. November 22, 2016. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- http://www.michellebensonforsenate.com/aboutmichelle/involved. Missing or empty
|title=(help) Archived June 5, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- "Michelle Benson - Minnesota Senate Republicans". Minnesota Senate Republicans. Retrieved December 31, 2017.
- "Minnesota state Sen. Michelle Benson's husband files for bankruptcy". Star Tribune.
- Michelle Benson at Minnesota Legislators Past & Present
- Senator Michelle Benson official Minnesota Senate website
- Senator Michelle Benson official Minnesota Senate Republican Caucus page
- Project Vote Smart - Senator Michelle Benson Profile