Diskerud with the United States in 2013
|Full name||Mikkel Morgenstar Pålssønn Diskerud|
|Date of birth||October 2, 1990|
|Place of birth||Oslo, Norway|
|Height||6 ft 1⁄2 in (1.84 m)|
(on loan from Manchester City)
|2012||→ Gent (loan)||6||(0)|
|2015–2017||New York City||39||(4)|
|2017||→ IFK Göteborg (loan)||29||(5)|
|2018||→ IFK Göteborg (loan)||12||(2)|
|2018–||→ Ulsan Hyundai (loan)||26||(3)|
|2009||United States U20||3||(1)|
|2012||United States U23||4||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of May 7, 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of March 25, 2016
Mikkel Morgenstar Pålssønn "Mix" Diskerud (born October 2, 1990) is a Norwegian-born American professional soccer player who plays as a midfielder for Ulsan Hyundai, on loan from Manchester City. He has represented the United States national team.
Born in Oslo, Norway, to an American mother and Norwegian father, Diskerud started his career in Frigg, and was discovered by Stabæk during a district tournament in Oslo. He joined their junior team in 2005, at the same time attending the sport school Norwegian College of Elite Sport. Starting in the 2006 season, he played regularly for the club's B team in the Norwegian Second Division over the next seasons. In 2008, he also helped the club's junior team win the Norwegian Junior Cup (U-19).
He made his debut for the first team in a 2008 Norwegian Football Cup match against Vestfossen IF. He was then named in the starting eleven in the 2009 La Manga Cup, scoring after two minutes in his first match. He also played as a substitute in the Super Final, the Norwegian Super Cup, one week before the league opener. He was benched in the opening match, but in the second match against SK Brann, he was allowed to make his debut in a regular first-team match. He came in as a substitute some ten minutes before full-time and scored the equalizer in the 84th minute; the game ended 1–1.
In August 2012, Diskerud moved to Tippeligaen club Rosenborg until the end of the 2012. After an aborted move to the Portland Timbers in late 2012 Diskerud signed an extension with Rosenborg.
New York City FC
On March 2, 2017, it was announced that New York City bought out Diskerud's contract, releasing him before the beginning of the 2017 season. On March 5, 2017, news came out that Diskerud was still an NYCFC-player and registered with New York City FC. Shortly after, the U.S. international was rumoured to be close to securing a loan to Swedish side IFK Goteborg which would provide "minor salary relief" for New York City FC although they would still remain responsible for paying the bulk of the player's wages.
As part of ESPN FC's MLS Confidential annual anonymous player poll in 2017 which surveyed over 140 of the league's current players, Diskerud was named as "the most overrated player in the league"—receiving 16% of the overall vote.
Diskerud's mother is from Arizona, originally making him eligible to represent either the United States or Norway. While Diskerud was playing for Norway, United States U-20 coach Thomas Rongen approached him as he was preparing to take a corner, and asked if he had an American passport, to which Diskerud answered, "yes."  In April 2008 he played a tournament for the United States under-20's team, recording three assists during a game against Northern Ireland. A month later, he played for the Norwegian under-18's team against the United States. In February 2009, when asked about his future plans for international play, he replied that it does not really matter which country he represents. He used the phrase "first-come, first-served", meaning that he will respond to the first international call-up from either country. In March 2009 he played for the Norwegian under-19's team. He later stated that he would likely accept any future call ups from US Soccer but had not heard from them since the youth tournament in 2008.
Only weeks later, after several strong performances for his Norwegian club, Stabæk, he was contacted by U.S. Soccer about attending an under-20's camp in May 2009. He had to turn down the invitation due to his role in Stabæk and that the camp schedule conflicts with the Norwegian season. However, Diskerud traveled with the U.S. under-20 team to Egypt in June 2009 for one of two friendlies, and he scored his first goal against Egypt. His appearance in the Egyptian friendly signaled his final choice for international play for the United States, saying "I am a Norwegian-American. I would love to play for both countries, but I can't."
Diskerud debuted for the senior team in 2010. He was a member of the squad that won the 2013 Gold Cup. He later was a member of the squad for the 2014 World Cup, although he failed to make an appearance at the tournament.
- As of match played April 9, 2018
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Continental||Total|
|KAA Gent (loan)||2011–12||Belgian Pro League||6||0||0||0||–||–||6||0|
|New York City||2015||Major League Soccer||27||3||1||0||–||–||28||3|
|IFK Göteborg (loan)||2017||Allsvenskan||29||5||1||0||–||–||30||5|
|Ulsan Hyundai (loan)||2018||K League 1||7||1||1||0||–||–||8||1|
|1.||November 14, 2012||Kuban Stadium, Krasnodar, Russia||Russia||Friendly|
|2.||July 21, 2013||M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore, United States||El Salvador||2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup|
|3.||May 27, 2014||Candlestick Park, San Francisco, United States||Azerbaijan||Friendly|
|4.||October 10, 2014||Rentscher Field, East Hartford, United States||Ecuador|
|5.||November 18, 2014||Aviva Stadium, Dublin, Ireland||Republic of Ireland|
|6.||June 10, 2015||RheinEnergieStadion, Cologne, Germany||Germany|
- "Mikkel Morgenstar Pålssønn Diskerud (1990) – Skattelister 2007". Aftenposten (in Norwegian). Retrieved March 23, 2009.
- Vatn, Ida-Marie (April 15, 2009). "Derfor heter han Mix". TV 2 Sporten (in Norwegian). Oslo, Norway. Archived from the original on April 15, 2009. Retrieved April 15, 2009.
Mikkel begynte nærmest å løpe før han begynte å gå. Da han var liten løp han rundt i huset, så jeg kalte han for «Min lille mixmaster». Så ble det forkortet til Mix (English: Mikkel almost began to run before he could walk. When he was little he ran around the house, so I called him for 'My little mixmaster.' So, it was shortened to Mix.)
- Tveit, Morten (April 23, 2008). "Mikkel Diskerud på landslaget" (in Norwegian). Stabæk Fotball. Retrieved March 23, 2009.[dead link]
- Vik, Marius (February 6, 2009). "Stortalent kan droppe Norge". Budstikka (in Norwegian). Retrieved March 23, 2009.
- Øen, Sindre (June 10, 2006). "Stabæk 2 stjal poeng". Budstikka (in Norwegian). Retrieved March 23, 2009.
- "Stabæk norgesmestere". Budstikka (in Norwegian). November 1, 2008. Retrieved March 23, 2009.
- Sjølie, Mette (July 16, 2008). "Diskerud helt i skyene". Budstikka (in Norwegian). Retrieved April 22, 2009.
- Strømnes, Andre (February 2, 2009). "Diskerud helt i skyene". Budstikka (in Norwegian). Retrieved March 23, 2009.
- Lyngøy, Roar (March 8, 2009). "Ordentlig klønete. Urutinert". Dagbladet (in Norwegian). Retrieved March 23, 2009.
- Hoff, Jørgen Bohnhorst (March 22, 2009). "Sjokkert Stabæk-helt". Bergens Tidende (in Norwegian). Retrieved March 23, 2009.
- "American Exports: Diskerud transferred to Rosenborg". Major League Soccer. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- Seltzer, Greg. "American Exports: Diskerud to get extension at Rosenborg". Major League Soccer. Retrieved November 5, 2012.
- Labidou, Alex. "Mikkel Diskerud talks about U.S. future and failed Portland Timbers move". Goal.com. Retrieved March 2, 2014.
- "Molde – Rosenborg 4 – 2" (in Norwegian). NIFS. November 24, 2013. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- "Mix Diskerud's New York City FC exit confirmed with contract buyout". ESPN FC. March 2, 2017. Retrieved March 2, 2017.
- "Mix Diskerud near loan to Sweden's IFK Goteborg after NYCFC exit - source". ESPN FC. March 7, 2017. Retrieved March 8, 2017.
- "MLS Confidential: Players polled on pro/rel, Beckham Miami team, salaries, Donovan return, Giovinco snub, more". ESPN FC. March 7, 2017. Retrieved March 8, 2017.
- "Mix Diskerud seals loan to Sweden's IFK Goteborg after NYCFC exit". ESPN FC. March 10, 2017. Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- Carlisle, Jeff. "U.S.'s Mix Diskerud signs contract with Manchester City". ESPN. Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- "Manchester City Set Price Tag". CityWatch. May 12, 2018. Retrieved June 12, 2018.
- "Ulsan Hyundai sign Man City midfielder on loan". Yonhap. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
- Murray, Caitlin (May 17, 2014). "Diskerud looking to bring special mix to U.S. World Cup team". SoccerByIves.net. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- Dale, Richard Sveaas (April 18, 2008). "Suksess for Diskerud". Budstikka (in Norwegian). Retrieved March 23, 2009.
- "U.S. Under-20 MNT Evens Record at Campos Verde International With 3–0 Win Over Northern Ireland". Beja, Portugal: United States Soccer Federation. April 16, 2008. Archived from the original on March 7, 2009. Retrieved March 23, 2009.
- Aas, Erlend M. (May 21, 2008). "Berget senket USA" (in Norwegian). Football Association of Norway. Retrieved March 23, 2009.[permanent dead link]
- Madsen, Christer (March 11, 2009). "Vi er i rute til EM-mellomspillet" (in Norwegian). Football Association of Norway. Retrieved March 23, 2009.[permanent dead link]
- Latham, Brent (March 18, 2009). "Diskerud: I'd Like to Hear From the US". Yanks-Abroad.com. Retrieved March 23, 2009.
After I played for the US in Portugal, I never got a call back...I would say yes. I am very sure I would do something like that.
- Latham, Brent (April 15, 2009). "US invite Diskerud to May camp". Yanks-Abroad.com. Retrieved April 16, 2009.
They asked me to a camp in Florida in May, but my team had to say no. Right now I'm pretty important to them and that's the middle of the season, so they think it's unnecessary.
- "U.S. U-20 MNT Tops Egypt in First of Two Friendlies Against U-20 WC Host". United States Soccer Federation. June 27, 2009. Archived from the original on July 2, 2009. Retrieved July 2, 2009.
- Hastings, Adam (June 29, 2009). "U.S. U20s Play Pair Of Friendlies Against Egypt". Goal.com. Retrieved July 2, 2009.
- Latham, Brent (July 16, 2009). "YA Exclusive: Diskerud in the Mix". Yanks-Abroad.com. Retrieved July 16, 2009.
- "Mix Diskerud". Norsk & Internasjonal Fotballstatistikk (in Norwegian). NTB. Retrieved February 20, 2018.