Ministry of Interior (Saudi Arabia)
Ministry of Interior Emblem
|Formed||8 January 1926|
The Ministry of Interior (Arabic: وزارة الداخلية) is the responsible authority for national security, naturalization, immigration and customs in Saudi Arabia. It was founded in 1951 after the combined ministerial body covering financial and interior affairs were separated.
The ministry consists of the following units:
Division of Internal Security
- General Security
- General Directorate of Civil Defense
- General Directorate of Investigations
- General Directorate of Corrections
- General Directorate of Court Services
- General Directorate of The Two Holy Mosques' Security
Division of Naturalisation and Residency
The Division of Naturalisation and Residency enforces immigration laws with the Ministry's "Immigration and Customs enforcement Police". The Ministry is also responsible for issuing Passports and National Identification for Saudi citizens and residence Permit for non-Saudis.
The first minister of interior was Abdullah bin Faisal, son of King Faisal. Prince Ahmed was appointed interior minister on 18 June 2012. It was reported that he would not basically alter the security policies of Saudi Arabia since the country faced a threat from Al Qaeda in Yemen and experienced an unrest among its Shi'ite Muslim minority.
List of Ministers
- Abdullah bin Faisal Al Saud (1951–1959)
- Faisal of Saudi Arabia 1959–1960
- Musaed bin Abdulrahman bin Faisal Al Saud 1960
- Abdul Muhsin bin Abdulaziz Al Saud 1960–1961
- Faisal bin Turki I bin Abdulaziz Al Saud 1961–1962
- Fahd bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (1962–1975)
- Nayef bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (1975 – 16 June 2012)
- Ahmed bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (18 June 2012 – 5 November 2012)
- Muhammad bin Nayef (5 November 2012 – present)
|Sikorsky S-70||utility/transport helicopter||S-70i||3|
|Sikorsky S-92||utility/transport helicopter||S-92||17||Some are armed with machine guns|
|Sikorsky S-434||training helicopter||S-434||9||Used for training|
|Kawasaki-Vertol 107||utility||KV-107IIA-SM-1||7||Used for firefighting|
|Kawasaki-Vertol 107||utility/transport||KV-107IIA-SM-2||4||Aeromedical and rescue helicopter|
|Kawasaki-Vertol 107||transport||KV-107IIA-SM-3||2||VIP transport|
|Kawasaki-Vertol 107||utility/transport||KV-107IIA-SM-4||3||Air ambulance|
- James Wynbrandt (1 January 2004). A Brief History of Saudi Arabia. Infobase Publishing. p. 206. ISBN 978-1-4381-0830-8. Retrieved 28 September 2013.
- Hertog, Steffen (2007). "Shaping the Saudi state: Human agency's shifting role in the rentier state formation" (PDF). International Journal Middle East Studies. 39: 539–563. doi:10.1017/S0020743807071073. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- "Prince Salman named Saudi crown prince". Al Jazeera (english version). Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- McDowall, Angus (18 June 2012). "Saudi appoints Prince Salman as crown prince". Reuters. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- S-70i Blackhawk in saudi arabia ministry of interior