Mirador de la Flor
|Mirador de la Flor|
|Location||Corpus Christi, Texas|
|Sculptor||H. W. Tatum|
Mirador de la Flor (English: Lookout of the Flower) also known as Selena's seawall is a monument in Corpus Christi, Texas that was unveiled in 1997 to honor Selena, the Tejano singer who was murdered by her assistant and head of her fan club Yolanda Saldívar, two years earlier at the age of 23. People from around the world visit the site, which is located only a few miles north of Seaside Memorial Park where Selena is buried. It is located at the corner of Peoples Street T-Head and Shoreline Boulevard and consists of a 5'8" life-sized bronze statue of Selena wearing a leather jacket with microphone in hand, sculpted by H.W. "Buddy" Tatum, a Corpus Christi artist. She is leaning against a concrete pillar looking towards the Corpus Christi Bay. About 30,000 people visit this monument every year.
The monument also features mosaic tiles of white roses (Selena's favorite) on its north side by a staircase leading to the lower level and rear (on the lower level facing the Gulf of Mexico, and a large white rose affixed to the same pillar and a plaque facing Shoreline Boulevard. A 4-foot (1.2 m) high stainless steel barrier was added in 2000 to protect the statue and pillar from graffiti.
The plaque says the following:
"City of Corpus Christi
Dedicated May 25, 1997
Selena Quintanilla Perez
Selena was referred to as La Flor (the Flower)
and identified with La Rosa Blanca (the White Rose).
When you view La Rosa Blanca, you feel her presence nearby.
Selena's stage is now silent
Yet her persona enriched the lives of those she touched
And her music lives on."
- "Translation for 'mirador' on SpanishDict". SpanishDict. Retrieved 2016-06-04.
- Jordan, Karen (10 August 1997). "A pilgrimage brings fans a little closer to the late singing star". The Dallas Morning News.
- "Mirador del Flor / Selena's Seawall Statue". TripAdvisor. Retrieved October 25, 2017.
- de la Fuente, Tamaño (30 March 2010). "Selena vive en sus canciones". Sintesis (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 22 July 2011. Retrieved 31 March 2010.
- Fernandez, Icess (1 April 2005). "Dedicated fans tour Selena-related sites Many spend 10th anniversary of her death at mirador". Corpus Christi Caller-Times. Retrieved 31 March 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mirador de la Flor.|