Mount Carmel Academy (Louisiana)
|Mount Carmel Academy|
|7027 Milne Boulevard
New Orleans, Louisiana, 70124
|Motto||Zelo zelatus sum pro Domino Deo exercituum (Latin)
("With zeal have I been zealous for the Lord God of hosts")
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic,
Sisters of Our Lady of Mount Carmel
|President||Sr. Camille Anne Campbell, O.Carm.|
|Principal||Ms. Beth Ann Simno
|Color(s)||Brown and White|
|Rival||St. Mary's Dominican High School|
|Accreditation||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Publication||Perspectives (literary magazine)|
|Newspaper||Echoes of Carmel|
|Admissions Director||Michelle B. Rigney '83|
|Athletic Director||Joe Boudoin|
Mount Carmel Academy attempts to inspire and foster intellectual development through a challenging, yet traditional, college preparatory curriculum infused with technology. Advanced Placement and Honors courses are offered in the various subject matter areas. Mount Carmel Academy is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Louisiana Department of Education. The school's enrollment is approximately 1200.
The campus of Mount Carmel is located in the Lakeview area in New Orleans at Robert E. Lee Boulevard, between West End Boulevard and Canal Boulevard.
Mount Carmel's sports teams are known as the "Cubs", and its school colors are brown and white.
Mount Carmel has a mascot system by which each of the three upper-class levels is assigned one of three rotating mascots: ragdolls, pink panthers, and purple butterflies. Each year, graduating seniors pass down their mascot to that year's freshman class. Until that time, the freshman class and 8th grade use a temporary mascot that is unique to each class.
Take off your hats to Carmel
Give a cheer as we go by
Throughout the years
Our many victories
Will echo through the skies
RA RA RA
Steady and always ready
Marching with our heads held high
Take off your hats to Carmel high
And give a cheer as we go by-yyy
M-T, M-T, M-T-C-A
R-M, R-M, R-M-E-L
Mt. Carmel, Mt. Carmel
- In 2006, 2010, and 2011 the Catholic High School Honor Roll recognized Mount Carmel Academy as one of the top 50 Catholic high schools in the United States.
- Mount Carmel Academy has twice been recognized by the U.S. Department of Education's Exemplary School Program as a Blue Ribbon School. Mount Carmel is the only school in Louisiana to be recognized twice with this honor.
- In 1998, Mount Carmel was one of only 12 recipients nationwide of the Catholic Schools for Tomorrow Award for Innovations in Technology, presented annually by Today's Catholic Teacher magazine.
- Mount Carmel Academy has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as an outstanding Safe & Drug-free school.
- Mount Carmel also was selected as a finalist in the America's Drug & Alcohol-Free School of the Year 2000 competition.
- Louisiana musician Amanda Shaw, who plays the fiddle and has been featured prominently throughout Louisiana, attended Mount Carmel Academy but did not graduate.
- Academy Award winner, Robin Mathews, who was awarded the Oscar for her transformative makeup on the film, "Dallas Buyers Club," graduated from Mount Carmel Academy.
Mount Carmel is located near the 17th Street Canal and suffered extreme flood damage during Hurricane Katrina. The school remained closed for several months, but made repairs at a fast pace. It re-opened in January 2006. It was the first school in the New Orleans area that re-opened.
- SACS-CASI. "SACS-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2009-06-23.[dead link]
- "robinmathews.com". robinmathews.com.
- Clarion Herald. Ron Brocato. "Rising Above the Water." 2006 Jan. 25. Vol. 45, No. 3. Pages 1 and 5. Original Location.