|Elevation||1,580 m (5,180 ft) |
|Last eruption||May 2015 (ongoing)|
Mount Lokon, together with Mount Empung, is a twin volcano (2.2 km or 1.4 mi apart) in the northern Sulawesi, Indonesia, roughly 10 km (6 mi) south of Manado. Both rise above the Tondano plain and are among active volcanoes of Sulawesi. Mount Lokon has a flat and craterless top. Its active crater is located on its foot, named "Tompaluan" crater.
Lokon formed during a period of andesitic volcanism on ring fractures resulting from the Tondano caldera's early to mid-Pleistocene collapse. Recently erupted material remains andesitic in composition  and consists of ash plumes and, less commonly, pyroclastic flows and lava domes.
The volcano erupted on 15 July 2011, forcing thousands of people to evacuate.
The volcano again began showing signs of activity on 10 February 2012, and 19 September 2012 (11:01pm). An eruption occurred at 8:20, am the same day sending an ash plume two miles into the sky. Local residents have been evacuated from a two and a half mile exclusion zone around the volcano. An eruption occurred on 17 December 2012.
Indonesia has 129 volcanoes including Mount Lokon. The eruption of Mount Lokon in 1991 killed a Swiss hiker and forced thousands of people to flee their homes.
- "Lokon-Empung". Global Volcanism Program. Smithsonian Institution. Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- "Lahendong". Lahendong. Archived from the original on 27 March 2012. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- "Indonesians flee volcano eruption on Sulawesi". BBC News. 14 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-07-16.
- "Mount Lokon in Indonesia erupts - Latest - New Straits Times". nst.com.my. 2012. Archived from the original on 10 February 2012. Retrieved 11 February 2012.
- "Volcano erupts in Indonesia, hurling ash cloud into the sky". CNN. 11 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- "Indonesian volcano has biggest eruption yet". The Guardian. London. 17 July 2011.
|This North Sulawesi location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Lokon volcano erupted the last 29 August 2015 but erupted 13 September 2014 made new historis eruption. Lokon volcano eruption was not in normal crater but outside crater or on western part of crater around 60 m from the crater. WWW.VOLCANOESGUIDE.BLOGSPOT.COM