Mr Gay UK
Mr Gay UK is a British annual beauty contest for gay men, with regional heats held in gay nightclubs with a grand final usually at a gay venue. The contests is owned and promoted by gay entrepreneur William Melyvn Alt.
It began in 1982 as "Mr Hardware" (named after a fragrance) designed to promote a gay mail order company. The event, held in the Heaven nightclub, was filmed by the BBC as part of a documentary entitled Something For the Ladies.
In 1984, the competition name was changed to Mr Gay UK. Since then, the event has been recorded for video release (1993), featured on a Channel 4 series, Passengers (1994) and the event itself was broadcast on Five in 1998 and 1999.
Mr Gay UK Winners
|1993||Anthony Morley||Leeds||Body Heat @ The Ritzy, Doncaster|
|1994||Ben Stelmazsek||Manchester||Cruz 101, Manchester|
|1995||Lance Trimble||Birmingham||Subway City, Birmingham|
|1996||Roy Fairhurst||Leeds||Primos II, Leeds|
|1997||Sean McVeigh||Manchester||Cruz 101, Manchester|
|1998||Ben Harris||London||Builder's Mate|
|1999||Mark Ledsham||Preston||Escape, Liverpool|
|2000||Harry French||Glasgow||Lifeguard||Bennets, Glasgow|
|2001||Carl Austin||Manchester||Cruz 101, Manchester|
|2002||Rob Conn||Bristol||IT manager||Queens Shilling, Bristol|
|2003||Jarrod Batchelor||Newport, Isle of Wight|
|2004||Mark Roberts||Walsall||Plasterer||The Golden Lion, Walsall|
|2005||Richard Carr||Birmingham||Supermarket Manager||The Nightingale, Birmingham|
|2006||Mark Carter||Huddersfield||Police Officer||Birmingham|
|2007||Daniel Broughton||Blackpool||Pornstar||Flamingo Club, Blackpool|
|2008||Dino Gamecho||Cardiff||Student||Ritz, Manchester|
|2012||Leroy Williamson||Scarborough||Team Manager||Mission, Leeds|
|2013||Stuart Hatton||South Shields||Dance Teacher|
Since 2005, the winner has gone on to represent the UK in Mr Gay Europe. No contest was held in 2009, 2010, and 2014.
As with previous years, heats for the 2011 contest were held in various gay venues across the country. Participants could apply in advance directly with the venue, or just turn up on the evening and complete an application form. In total there are 14 finalists from the heats that took place between September and October 2011.
Voting In this year the rules and the feeling of the competition were changed. A public vore was put into place and contestants were expected to campaign for votes in any way they could. Each finalist could receive votes through a premium rate phone and text number, a 'like' on their individual Facebook page and a Twitter and E-mail vote accessible from the main Mr Gay UK website. Voting ended on 29 November 2011 and the five finalists were announced. They were Greg Lumley - Middlesbrough, Charlie Drummond - Bristol, John Wheeldon - Leeds, Nik Chapman - Newcastle and Samuel Kneen - Cardiff, who eventually went on to win the competition
Promotion A media relations push was made on the competition with articles appearing in local and regional media and radio, but also had national coverage in guardian.co.uk and the three of finalists appeared on Loose Women bringing on Julie Goodyear
The Final The grand final was held on Saturday 10 December at Mission 2 in Leeds. Judges included Kieron Richardson from Hollyoaks, Rob Gunn from the competition's sponsor Manhunt and photographer Jay Eff
Presenters have included Lily Savage, Jason Donovan, Mark Little, Robbie Williams, Jane McDonald, Terry George, Richard Newman, Nadia Almada, Brian Dowling and Philip Olivier and judges have included Jean Paul Gaultier, Michael Cashman, Danny La Rue, Scott Neal, Lea Walker, Jonathan Kerrigan, Su Pollard and Christopher Biggins. In 2007, the presenters were Andy Scott-Lee and his wife Michelle Heaton. The judges were Shahbaz from Big Brother 2006, James Sutton of Hollyoaks, long-standing Adam Lowe of Bent magazine and The Sheilas of Sheila's Wheels. The event was hosted at Flamingo's nightclub in Blackpool, where Daniel Broughton (also from Blackpool) won.
Mr Gay UK 2007, Daniel Broughton, has since entered the gay pornographic industry, modelling for British gay porn company EnglishLads.
Mr Gay Newcastle 2007, Charlie Drummond, became a Big Brother housemate in the 2009 series, where he sparked an "are they?/aren't they" relationship with fellow bisexual housemate Rodrigo Lopes. He made it to the final, finishing in 4th place. Drummond later went on to become Mr Gay Bristol 2011.
Mr UK 2010 finalist, Paul Wallwork, has gone on to compete in further pageants and earned himself the title of Mister Supernational Manchester in 2011 and won the Best Hair heat.
Mr Gay UK winner 2013, Stuart Hatton, is noted as the most successful 'Mr Gay' as he went on to represent the United Kingdom in Austria at Mr Gay Europe and was second runner up. Two months later Hatton travelled to Rome, Italy to represent the United Kingdom once more as Mr Gay UK but this time at The Mr Gay World Contest where he won the Mr Gay World title and therefore becoming the first ever United Kingdom winner to receive the global award. In 2014 Hatton was awarded the Mr Gay UK Title for a 2nd year for his LGBTI Activist roles. Making him the only ever man to hold the Mr Gay UK title for two years. He is the founder of the anti bullying and homophobia awareness campaign 'So What' The mission statement being, "Some of us have green eyes, some of us have blue eyes, some of us are straight, some of us are gay.. SO WHAT!" The campaigns asks for supporters of all different ages, nationalities and sexualities to upload selfies of themselves to social media platforms, with the words 'So What' written on the palms of their hands to help battle homophobia around the world. Hatton has appeared on the cover of many worldwide Gay Magazines.
- Pidd, Helen (2007-09-01). "Soldiers and a sailor in fight to be Mr Gay UK". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-10-14.
- Richard Conrad Glover (1988-09-30). "Gay UK Alive And Kicking". Sydney Morning Herald (Australia). p. 15.
- "Former Mr Gay UK who killed and cooked victim guilty of murder". PinkNews. 2007-10-17. Retrieved 2008-10-18. Check date values in:
|year= / |date= mismatch(help)
- "Oh Boy, Paula, Lance's gay day, Paula Yates at the Mr Gay UK contest". Daily Record. 1995-05-30. p. 9.
- "Jason Looks a bit Queer; He sweats and stutters through gay contest; Jason Donovan gets into a sweat at Mr Gay UK contest". Daily Record. 1996-05-28. p. 3.
- Paul McCann (1998-02-28). "Miss World is ousted by Mr Gay Universe". The Independent (London).
- "Only my mum knew, says Mr Gay UK". Evening Herald (Plymouth). 1998-05-29. p. 24.
- "Mr Gay UK 1998".
- "So.. Graham Norton Falls for Mr Gay UK; Revealed: Secret love of TV star". The People. 2002-06-09.
- "Bristol man is named Mr Gay UK after 'joke' entry". Bristol Evening Post. 2002-09-11. p. 4.
- Sam Mann (2003-08-29). "Jolie Good Fun At The Movies, A Gay Time With The Boys and a Rockin' Awards Do". The Mirror. p. 3.
- "Mr Gay UK: I slept with lots of girls". The Sunday People. 2004-04-25.
Jarrod Batchelor, 24, took the drastic action when he was bullied at school because of his sexuality.
- "Gay Crown". Birmingham Post. 2004-11-30. p. 2.
- "Store boss scoops title". Birmingham Mail (England). 2005-11-30. p. 19.
- Kelly, Tom (2006-10-01). "PC strips off uniform to become Mr Gay UK". The Daily Mail. Retrieved 2008-02-05.
- "Dan Broughton". twitter.com. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "Mr Gay UK 2013". All Points North Publications Limited. Retrieved 2014-01-05.
- "Mr Gay UK 2011 Finals". Mr Gay UK website. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- Perrie, Robin (2006-10-02). "Beat cop voted Mr Gay UK". The Sun. Retrieved 2007-10-14.
- "PC Carter, UK Mr Gay, Triumphs at International Mr Gay Contest". The Press Dispensary. 2008-01-22. Retrieved 2008-02-05.
- "Dan Broughton". englishlads.com. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- Andrew Douglas (4 June 2009). "Big Brother is just the job for North-East contestant". The Northern Echo.
Charlie Drummond won the Newcastle heat of Mr Gay UK in 2007 and has worked as a model in the past. The 22-year-old, who works in customer services for the JobCentre, says his favourite part of his job is walking into the office in the morning and saying Good morning angels to his colleagues, who reply Good morning Charlie. Charlie, from Newcastle, thinks he has a good chance of winning BB - now in its tenth year.