Murcia, Negros Occidental
|Municipality of Murcia|
Lake in Mambukal
Map of Negros Occidental with Murcia highlighted
|Region||Western Visayas (Region VI)|
|District||3rd district of Negros Occidental|
|Barangays||23 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Andrew L. Montelibano|
|• Electorate||46,869 voters (2016)|
|• Total||279.14 km2 (107.78 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||290/km2 (750/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)34|
|Climate type||Tropical climate|
|Income class||1st municipal income class|
|Revenue (₱)||183,416,218.50 (2016)|
|Population census of Murcia|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
Economy and tourism
The Mambukal Resort in Barangay Minoyan, Murcia, Negros Occidental has bats as tourist attraction. There resort has 3 species of bats – the Philippine Flying Fox (Philippine Giant Fruit Bat), the Philippine bare-backed fruit bat, and the Little Golden-mantled Flying Fox, which is already endangered. They produce a nitrogen-rich organic fertilizer called guano. Bats are included in the list of animals protected by Republic Act 9147 (Wildlife Resources Conservation and Protection Act). The provincial government-owned Mambukal Resort inaugurated its "Butterfly Garden," on December, 2007. Live predators of butterflies like tarantula, wild geckos, scorpions, millipedes and centipedes were displayed.
Aside from the Mambukal Mountain Resort, Murcia is also famous for its Pandanon River Resort situated in the Murcia-Don Salvador Benedicto municipality border. A golf and country club is situated in Barangay Blumentritt. The newly built Kahulihoha Herbal Garden and Serenity Park can be found in Barangay Alegria.
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province:". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region VI (Western Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region VI (Western Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903–2007). "Region VI (Western Visayas)". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.
- "Province of". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- eturbonews.com, Bats are tourist attractions in Negros Occidental
- pia.gov.ph, Butterfly garden in Mambukal Resort opens
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Murcia, Negros Occidental.|