This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Genre||Institute of technology|
|Founder||Rajendra S. Pawar|
Vijay K. Thadani
|Rajendra Singh Pawar (Chairman)|
Vijay Kumar Thadani (Vice Chairman and MD)
Sapnesh Lalla (CEO)
|Services||Skills and Talent development|
|Revenue||₹1,038 crore (US$140 million) (2021)|
|₹160 crore (US$21 million) (2021)|
Number of employees
NIIT Limited is an Indian multinational skills and talent development corporation headquartered in Gurgaon, India. The company was set up in 1981 to help the nascent IT industry overcome its human resource challenges. NIIT offers training and development to individuals, enterprises and institutions.
NIIT was established in 1981 by Rajendra S. Pawar and Vijay K. Thadani, graduates from IIT Delhi, with one million rupees. NIIT conceived a franchising model in IT education for the very first time, setting up nine centers by 1987.
In 1986, NIIT began its foray into the software domain, beginning with Software Product Distribution under the 'Insoft' brand. The company also began offering advice and consultancy to large corporations on how to leverage technology and make optimum use of their IT investments.
In 1988, NIIT introduced many marketing and advertising strategies for the Indian market including the 'Computer drome' in 1990. Another initiative launched by NIIT, was its Bhavishya Jyoti Scholarships program, launched in 1991, which was targeted at deserving and socially challenged students with an aim to improve their skills and employability quotient.
In 1992, NIIT launched its flagship program GNIIT, an industry-endorsed course with a 12-month Professional Practice for students seeking careers in the IT and non-IT sectors. By 1993, the NIIT stock began trading on Indian stock exchanges. In 1996, NIIT began its globalization journey, setting up an education center in Hong Kong. In the same year, the company launched its virtual university 'NetVarsity'. In 1998, NIIT joined a handful of Indian tech companies to enter the Chinese market.
The company earned the epithet, the 'McDonald's of the software business' by Far Eastern Economic Review in September, 2001. The same year, NIIT launched an experiment that was christened 'Hole-in-the-Wall' by media and drew international attention. The experiment was based on the ‘minimally invasive education’ methodology developed by NIIT R&D. It suggested that children, irrespective of their social, ethnic, or educational identity could learn to use computers by themselves, without adult intervention. In 2003, NIIT launched its MindChampions Academy (MCA) with Viswanathan Anand, five-time former World Chess champion and NIIT Brand Ambassador.
In 2004, NIIT sectioned off its software business into an independent organization called NIIT Technologies Ltd. (Source: NASSCOM's 2013–14 Ranking of Top 20 IT services companies). In the area of training, NIIT launched its 'Edgeineers' program in 2005, to boost career opportunities for engineering graduates. In 2006, it diversified into various new sectors for training, such as banking, finance and insurance (through IFBI), executive management education (through NIIT Imperia brand), Professional Life Skills training and business process management training (through Evolv and NIIT Uniqua).
In 2009, NIIT University (NU), a not-for-profit University was established, under section 2(f) of UGC Act and notified by the Government of Rajasthan.
In 2014, NIIT tied up with National Skill Development Corporation to launch NIIT Yuva Jyoti centers, under the pilot phase of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Skill India campaign and the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) in North East, J&K and Jharkhand.
On October 1, 2021 NIIT announced the acquisition of a 70% stake acquisition in RPS Consulting, a Bengaluru based training company.
On June 9, 2022, the Securities and Exchange Board of India concluded an investigation regarding insider trading within NIIT Technologies. The investigation verified that insider trading had occurred, as a result of a corporate announcement made on behalf of NIIT on the floor of the National Stock Exchange of India on March 23, 2015. 
- NIIT (USA), Inc.
- NIIT Ireland Ltd
- NIIT Institute of Finance, Banking & Insurance Training Ltd.
- NIIT China (Shanghai) Limited
- NIIT Antilles NV
- NIIT Learning Solutions (Canada) Limited
- Learning Universe Private Limited
- NIIT Institute of Process Excellence Ltd.
- 1981: NIIT was established by Rajendra S. Pawar and Vijay K. Thadani to optimize on the opportunity of booming IT education and training in India
- 1982: Setup educational centres in Mumbai and Chennai; Introduced Multimedia technology in education
- 1983: Corporate training program introduced
- 1984: IT consultancy service started
- 1985: Head Office integrated at New Delhi
- 1986: Software product distribution started under "Insoft" brand
- 1987: Conceived Franchising Model of education
- 1990: Created the Computer drome to provide unlimited computer time to students
- 1991: First overseas office set up in US; "Bhavishya Jyoti Scholarships" launched for meritorious and socially challenged students
- 1992: GNIIT program started with professional practice
- 1993: Received ISO 9001 for software export; Listed on BSE
- 1995: NIIT tied up with Microsoft to provide education of Microsoft technologies
- 1996: First overseas education center launched; Launched "NetVarsity", the virtual University; Awarded ISO 9001 for Computer Education
- 1997: NIIT was the first Indian Company to be assessed at SEI CMM Level 5 for Software Business; Unique distinction puts NIIT into first list of 21st Global companies
- 1999: Achieved the status of Microsoft's best training partner in Asia; Five time World Champion Viswanathan Anand became NIIT Brand Ambassador; Started Hole-in-the-Wall (HiWEl) experiment for disadvantaged children.
- 2000: Tied up with Oracle Corporation to provide education on Oracle technologies specially on Oracle Database; Collaborated with Sun Microsystems on "iForce initiatives on computing giant"
- 2001: Microsoft awarded NIIT the "Best Training Company Award"
- 2003: Launched NIIT MindChampions Academy with Viswanathan Anand to promote chess in schools.
- 2004: Global Solutions Business spun off into NIIT Technologies; Industry endorsed GNIIT curriculum was launches; NIIT and Intel signed a deal to use technology-assisted learning in school
- 2005: Launch of NIIT IT Aptitude Test (NITAT)
- 2006: Launched new businesses called NIIT Litmus which provides testing & assessment services for IT&ITES organizations, NIIT Imperia which would provide three certificate programs from Indian Institutes of Management and IFBI - Institute of Finance Banking and Insurance (NIIT IFBI)
- 2009: Founded and commenced new "NIIT University" campus in Neemrana, Rajasthan offering more post graduation level courses.
- 2011: Launch of NIIT Yuva Jyoti Limited (NYJL)- a joint venture between NIIT and NSDC to fuel growth in Skills & Employability for youth across India
- 2012: Launch of Digital Marketing Program; NIIT received 'Top IT Training Company Award 2012' for the 20th year in succession by Cybermedia publications.
- 2013: NIIT, NIIT University entered into a MoU with Autodesk to evangelize design as a learning discipline in India; NIIT launched 'Program in Business Analytics'; NIIT launches NIIT Cloud Campus: A pioneering initiative undertaken to help take high quality educational programs to the remotest corners of the country; NIIT enters Test Preparation Market with CTET Coaching
- 2014: NIIT launches its new persona based website www.niit.com
- 2015: Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) recognizes NIIT as the "Best Educational Website"; NIIT enters into MoU with Guian New Area, China
- 2016: Launch of Training.com to offer online training
- 2017: Sapnesh Lalla takes charge as the CEO of NIIT Ltd.
- In May 2019, Baring Private Equity Asia had acquired controlling stake of NIIT Ltd in NIIT Technologies Ltd.
NIIT has two main lines of business across the globe – Corporate Learning Group and Skills & Careers Business.
NIIT's Corporate Learning Group (CLG) offers Managed Training Services (MTS) to market-leading companies in North America, Europe, Asia, and Oceania. The Skills & Careers Business (SNC) delivers a diverse range of learning and talent development programs to millions of individual and corporate learners in areas including Digital Transformation, Banking, Finance & Insurance, Retail Sales Enablement, Digital Media Marketing, and new-age IT. NIIT has incubated, StackRoute, as a digital transformation partner for corporates to build multi-skilled full stack developers at scale.
- Education in India
- Information technology in India
- List of Indian IT companies
- Professional certification
- Professional certification (computer technology)
- "Niit Ltd". Bloomberg. Bloomberg Business. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "NIIT appoints Sapnesh Lalla as next CEO". NIIT. 1 August 2017. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
- "Infosys Consolidated Profit & Loss account, Infosys Financial Statement & Accounts". moneycontrol.com. Retrieved 14 May 2021.
- "NIIT pioneered IT education in India". The Economic Times. The Economic Times. 18 November 2011. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "NIIT". Global Recorder. Global Recorder. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "NIIT Institute for Hardware and Networking Courses". Edu Milestones. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "NIIT Announces 25th Bhavishya Jyoti Scholarship – India's Most Significant IT & New-Age Careers Scholarship Program". PR Newswire. 7 September 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "NIIT". Super Brands India. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Industry exalts Govt's Skill India Campaign". India Education Review. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "NIIT acquires Osprey for $3 m". Ciol. 31 March 2002.
- IANS. "NIIT acquires German firm to expand IT services biz". siliconindia. Retrieved 29 April 2022.
- "CNN.com - NIIT, Click2learn form alliance - January 23, 2002". edition.cnn.com. Retrieved 29 April 2022.
- "NIIT sells Element K to SkillSoft for $110 mn". Business Standard India. Press Trust of India. 17 October 2011. Retrieved 29 April 2022.
- "NIIT acquires 70% stake in RPS Consulting for Rs 82.3 cr". The Economic Times. Retrieved 29 April 2022.
- "Sebi bans imposes fine in NIIT Technologies insider trading case". Business Standard India. The Economic Times. 9 June 2022. Retrieved 15 June 2022.
- "Academic Alliance". MMBL Cyber skills. 30 June 2009. Retrieved 16 October 2007.
- "Schooling for the millions in emerging information economies is the challenge of Rajendra Pawar's renewed NIIT". Forbes. 30 June 2007. Retrieved 16 October 2007.
- "NIIT Campus about most popular GNIIT program". 30 June 2008. Retrieved 16 October 2007.
- "Received ISO". NIIT. 30 June 2008. Retrieved 16 October 2007.
- "NIIT builds defence software for Singapore". Rediff on the net. 20 November 1997. Retrieved 16 October 2007.
- "IT briefs: Oracle, NIIT forge alliance". The Hindu Business Line. 8 March 2000.
- "NIIT teams up with Sun for iForce initiative". The Hindu Business Line. 16 June 2000. Retrieved 16 October 2007.
- "Award for NIIT". The Hindu. 6 June 2001. Archived from the original on 9 November 2012. Retrieved 16 October 2007.
- "Intel, NIIT to boost tech learning". Rediff News. 22 November 2004. Retrieved 16 October 2007.
- "NIIT enters management education". The Economic Times. 16 September 2006. Retrieved 16 October 2007.
- "NIIT ties up with Infospectrum for research solutions". Sify Business. 24 June 2008. Archived from the original on 29 October 2014. Retrieved 16 October 2007.
- "NIIT University Campus, a breakthrough innovation". The Economic Times. 5 April 2009. Retrieved 16 October 2007.
- "NIIT enters Test Preparation Market with CTET Coaching". PR Log. 30 October 2013. Retrieved 30 October 2013.