This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Skills & Talent Development Company
|Traded as||BSE: 500304
|Founder||Rajendra S. Pawar
Vijay K. Thadani
|Rajendra Singh Pawar (Chairman)
Vijay Kumar Thadani (Vice Chairman and Managing Director)
Rahul K. Patwardhan (CEO)
|Services||Skills & Talent Development|
|Revenue||₹951 crore (US$140 million) (FY 2014)|
Number of employees
NIIT Limited is an Indian Multinational company that offers learning management and training delivery solutions to corporations, institutions and individuals. It has three main lines of business worldwide: Corporate Learning Group (CLG), Skills and Careers Group (SCG), and School Learning Group (SLG).
In 2006, the IT services business of NIIT was demerged into a separately listed company NIIT Technologies. NIIT Limited now focuses on Corporate Training, Vocational Training for Services Sectors and Education and Training in Schools. NIIT Limited owns 23.98% of NIIT Technologies.
NIIT was established in 1985 by Rajendra S. Pawar and Vijay K. Thadani, graduates from IIT  Delhi, with one million rupees. NIIT conceived a franchising model in IT education for the very first time, setting up nine centers by 1987.
In 1986, NIIT began its foray into the software domain, beginning with Software Product Distribution under the 'Insoft' brand. The company also began offering advice and consultancy to large corporations on how to leverage technology and make optimum use of their IT investments.
In 1988, NIIT introduced many marketing and advertising strategies for the Indian market including the ‘Computerdrome’ in 1990. Another initiative launched by NIIT, was its Bhavishya Jyoti Scholarships program, launched in 1991, which was targeted at deserving and socially challenged students with an aim to improve their skills and employability quotient. In 1992, NIIT launched its flagship program GNIIT, an industry-endorsed course with a 12-month Professional Practice for students seeking careers in the IT and non-IT sectors. By 1993, NIIT began trading NIIT stocks on the Indian stock exchanges. In 1996, NIIT began its globalization journey, setting up an education center in Hong Kong. In the same year, the company launched its virtual university ‘Net Varsity’. In 1998, NIIT joined a handful of Indian tech companies to enter the Chinese market. The company earned the epithet, the ‘McDonald’s of the software business’ by Far Eastern Economic Review in September, 2001. The same year, NIIT launched an experiment that was christened ‘Hole-in-the-Wall’ by media and drew international attention. The experiment was based on the ‘minimally invasive education’ methodology developed by NIIT R&D. It suggested that children, irrespective of their social, ethnic or educational identity could learn to use computers by themselves, without adult intervention. In 2003, NIIT launched its MindChampions Academy (MCA) with Viswanathan Anand, five-time former World Chess champion and NIIT Brand Ambassador.
In 2004, NIIT hived off its software business into an independent organization called NIIT Technologies Ltd. (Source: NASSCOM’s 2013-14 Ranking of Top 20 IT services companies). In the area of training, NIIT launched its ‘Edgeineers’ program in 2005, to boost career opportunities for engineering graduates. In the same year, it diversified into various sectors such as banking, finance and insurance (through IFBI), Executive Management education (through Imperia), Professional Life Skills, BPM, and ICT education for schools. In 2008, NIIT set up NIIT University, in Neemrana, Rajasthan. NU, offers B-Tech and M-Tech programs in computer science and education technology, as well as MBA programs. In 2014, NIIT tied up with National Skill Development Corporation to launch NIIT Yuva Jyoti centers, under the pilot phase of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Skill India campaign and the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) in North East, J&K and Jharkhand.
In 2001, NIIT acquired Osprey, DEI and Click2learn in the US, to establish its e-learning and corporate learning practices in that country.
In 2006, acquired Element K, a leading provider of learning solutions in North America. The company was sold off in 2012.
- 1981: NIIT was established by Rajendra S. Pawar and Vijay K. Thadani to optimise on the opportunity of booming IT education and training in India
- 1982: Setup educational centres in Mumbai and Chennai; Introduced Multimedia technology in education
- 1983: Corporate training program introduced
- 1984: IT consultancy service started
- 1985: Head Office integrated at New Delhi
- 1986: Software product distribution started under "Insoft" brand
- 1987: Conceived Franchising Model of education
- 1990: Created the Computer drome to provide unlimited computer time to students
- 1991: First overseas office set up in US; "Bhavishya Jyoti Scholarships" launched for meritorious and socially challenged students
- 1992: GNIIT program started with professional practice
- 1993: Received ISO 9001 for software export; Listed on BSE
- 1995: NIIT tied up with Microsoft to provide education of Microsoft technologies
- 1996: First overseas education center launched ; Launched "NetVarsity", the virtual University ; Awarded ISO 9001 for Computer Education
- 1997: NIIT was the first Indian Company to be assessed at SEI CMM Level 5 for Software Business ; Unique distinction puts NIIT into first list of 21st Global companies
- 1999: Achieved the status of Microsoft's best training partner in Asia ; Five time World Champion Viswanathan Anand became NIIT Brand Ambassador ; Started Hole-in-the-Wall (HiWEl) experiment for disadvantaged children.
- 2000: Tied up with Oracle Corporation to provide education on Oracle technologies specially on Oracle Database; Collaborated with Sun Microsystems on "iForce initiatives on computing giant"
- 2001: Microsoft awarded NIIT the "Best Training Company Award"
- 2003: Launched NIIT MindChampions Academy with Viswanathan Anand to promote chess in schools.
- 2004: Global Solutions Business spun off into NIIT Technologies ; Industry endorsed GNIIT curriculum was launches ; NIIT and Intel signed a deal to use technology-assisted learning in school
- 2005: Launch of NIIT IT Aptitude Test (NITAT)
- 2006: Launched new businesses called NIIT Litmus which provides testing & assessment services for IT&ITES organizations, NIIT Imperia which would provide three certificate programmes from Indian Institutes of Management and IFBI Institute of Finance Banking and Insurance (NIIT IFBI)
- 2009: Founded and commenced new "NIIT University" campus in Neemrana, Rajasthan offering more post graduation level courses.
- 2011: Launch of NIIT Yuva Jyoti Limited (NYJL)- a joint venture between NIIT and NSDC to fuel growth in Skills & Employability for youth across India
- 2012: Launch of Digital Marketing Program ; NIIT received 'Top IT Training Company Award 2012' for the 20th year in succession by Cybermedia publications.
- 2013: NIIT, NIIT University entered into a MoU with Autodesk to evangelize design as a learning discipline in India ; NIIT launched 'Program in Business Analytics' ; NIIT launches NIIT Cloud Campus: A pioneering initiative undertaken to help take high quality educational programs to the remotest corners of the country ; NIIT enters Test Preparation Market with CTET Coaching 
- 2014: NIIT launches its new persona based website www.niit.com
- 2015: Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) recognizes NIIT as the "Best Educational Website" ; NIIT enters into MoU with Guian New Area, China
- 2015: Amit Kumar Garg as Chief financial officer (CFO)
NIIT is organized along the following three lines of business:
- Corporate Learning Group - It offers Managed Training Services (MTS), which include custom curriculum design and content development, learning administration, learning delivery, strategic sourcing, learning technology and advisory services.
- Skills and Careers Group - This focuses on providing employability skills to learners. It includes learning programs in soft skills, business process excellence, retail sales enablement, vocational skills, digital media marketing, new age IT, Banking, Insurance and Financial services (through IFBI), Executive Management (through NIIT Imperia) and BPO/KPO training (through NIIT Uniqua).
- School Learning Group - It provides tools and products for technology based learning to government and private schools in India. It offers NIIT nGuru learning solutions for schools, which include Interactive classrooms with digital content, Math Lab, IT Wizard programs and Quick School ERP software.
NIIT Limited focuses on several industry segments besides the IT-BPM sector. The NIIT portfolio, which was focused on IT education at the time of the company’s inception, now encompasses programs that go ‘Beyond IT’. These include courses related to banking, finance, insurance, executive management, digital marketing, Big Data and Analytics, among others. The company has a robust Corporate Learning Solutions business with customers across the globe. NIIT also provides customers with services including content development, learning administration, learning technology, learning delivery, strategic sourcing and advisory solutions. The company’s CLS business has earned several industry recognitions including the 2015 TrainingIndustry.com ranking, which places NIIT among the world’s Top 20 Workforce Development companies.
NIIT offers turnkey integration programs and computer-based training to over 5000 government schools through its NIIT K-12 business division.
NIIT Imperia collaborated with KPMG India to offer advanced certified programs on International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). These programs are generally six weeks long and are meant to assist companies in migrating from Indian General Accepted Accounting Principals to IFRS.
Indian training centres
NIIT has training and educational centres in the following Indian states and union territories: Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Chandigarh, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Goa, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Nagaland, Odisha, Puducherry, Punjab, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Tripura, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal.
- Education in India
- Information technology in India
- List of Indian IT companies
- Professional certification
- Professional certification (computer technology)
Notes and references
- "Niit Ltd". Bloomberg. Bloomberg Business. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "NIIT appoints Rahul Patwardhan as next CEO". moneycontrol.com (CNBC TV18). Oct 6, 2014. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "NIIT Limited Financial Statements". Economic Times.
- TOI Website:  (URL last accessed on 14 July 2009)
- "NIIT Limited holding in NIIT Technologies". 19 January 2014. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- "'NIIT pioneered IT education in India'". The Economic Times. The Economic Times. 18 Nov 2011. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "NIIT". Global Recorder. Global Recorder. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "NIIT Institute for Hardware and Networking Courses". Edu Milestones. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "NIIT Announces 25th Bhavishya Jyoti Scholarship - India's Most Significant IT & New-Age Careers Scholarship Program". PR Newswire. UBM. September 7, 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "NIIT". Super Brands India. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Industry exalts Govt’s Skill India Campaign". India Education Review. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Academic Alliance". MMBL Cyber skills. 30 June 2009. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "Schooling for the millions in emerging information economies is the challenge of Rajendra Pawar's renewed NIIT". Forbes. 30 June 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT Campus about most popular GNIIT program". 30 June 2008. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "Received ISO". NIIT. 30 June 2008. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT builds defence software for Singapore". Rediff on the net. 20 November 1997. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2000/03/08/stories/150839i2.htm". The Hindu Business Line. 8 March 2000. External link in
- "NIIT teams up with Sun for iForce initiative". The Hindu Business Line. 16 June 2000. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "Award for NIIT". The Hindu. 6 June 2001. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "Intel, NIIT to boost tech learning". Rediff News. 22 November 2004. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT enters management education". The Economic Times. 16 September 2006. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT ties up with Infospectrum for research solutions". Sify Business. 24 June 2008. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT University Campus, a breakthrough innovation". The Economic Times. 5 April 2009. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT enters Test Preparation Market with CTET Coaching". PR Log. 30 October 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "NIIT Technologies appoints Amit Kumar Garg as Chief financial officer". dqindia. 15 December 2015.
- "Game Changers". CFO Connect. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "NIIT Ranks Among Top 20 Workforce Development Companies by TrainingIndustry.com". The New Indian Express. 27 July 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "IFBI career". India Study Channel. 25 March 2000. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- Sun_India Website:  (URL last accessed on 14 July 2009)