Naked Raygun in Chicago, 2012
|Origin||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Genres||Punk rock, post-hardcore, post-punk|
|Years active||1980–1992, 2006–present|
|Labels||Ruthless Records, Homestead, Quarterstick Records, Caroline, Riot Fest Records|
|Associated acts||Big Black, Effigies, Pegboy, The Bomb, Silver Abuse|
Fritz Doreza (touring)
|Past members||Santiago Durango
The band was formed in 1980 by Santiago Durango, Marko Pezzati and later Jeff Pezzati. Singer Jeff Pezzati was the sole constant member through multiple personnel changes. Members over time include drummers Bobby Strange, Jim Colao, and Eric Spicer; bassists Marko Pezzati, Pierre Kezdy, Camilo Gonzalez and Pete Mittler; guitarists Santiago Durango, John Haggerty, and Bill Stephens; and keyboardist John Lundin.
In 1989, John Haggerty left Naked Raygun to form Pegboy with his younger brother Joe (formerly of Bloodsport and The Effigies) and Steve Saylors and Larry Damore of the Bhopal Stiffs (Pierre Kezdy would later replace Steve Saylors).
In 2006 Naked Raygun reunited for Riot Fest, an annual punk rock festival held in Chicago. Following their 2006 reunion, Naked Raygun announced that the band was "back for good." The reunited lineup consists of its "Raygun...Naked Raygun" members: Pezzati, Stephens, Kezdy, and Spicer. In 2009 Naked Raygun returned to the studio for the first time since 1997 for a series of 7" singles released on Riot Fest Records and announced plans to record an LP, the first since 1990's Raygun... Naked Raygun.
In August 2014, Naked Raygun opened for Bad Religion, The Offspring and Stiff Little Fingers on the last two shows of the Summer Nationals tour at The Rave in Milwaukee and Harrah's Stir Cove in Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Naked Raygun (along with Urge Overkill and Cheap Trick) opened for the Foo Fighters at Wrigley Field, Chicago, on August 29, 2015.
Naked Raygun will put out a new album in 2016.
Nirvana drummer and Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl has frequently discussed seeing Naked Raygun as his first concert in 1982 (when he was 13) at Chicago's Cubby Bear. During their October 17, 2014 show at the Cubby Bear, Jeff Pezatti joined the band for a Naked Raygun cover. Naked Raygun themselves later opened for Foo Fighters on select dates during the Sonic Highways World Tour.
- Throb Throb LP -with cover art by Macintosh comic book artist Mike Saenz- ::Homestead Records (1985), Quarterstick Records (1999 - CD only), Haunted Town Records (2008 - LP only)
- All Rise LP ::Homestead (1986), Quarterstick Records (1999 - CD only), Haunted Town Records (2008 - LP only)
- Jettison LP ::Caroline Records (1988), Quarterstick Records (1999 - CD only)
- Understand? LP ::Caroline Records (1989), Quarterstick Records (1999 - CD only)
- Raygun...Naked Raygun LP ::Caroline Records (1990), Quarterstick Records (1999 - CD only)
- Last of the Demohicans CD ::Dyslexic Records, (1997)
- Free Shit live LP/CD ::(Haunted Town Records)
- What Poor Gods We Do Make CD ::Riot Fest Records (2007)
- Basement Screams 12" ::Ruthless Records (1983), Quarterstick Records (1999 - CD only), Haunted Town Records (2007 - LP only)
- Treason 12" ::3 songs, on pink vinyl limited to 2,500 numbered records (although unnumbered versions, stamped "Promo only" exist) ::Caroline Records (1989)
- Flammable Solid 7" ::Ruthless Records (1983)
- Vanilla Blue 7" on white/light blue marbled vinyl ::Sandpounder Records (1987)
- Home 7" on green vinyl ::Caroline Records (1990)
- Series 1 7" on red & on cream vinyl ::Riot Fest Records (2009)
- Series 2 7" on violet & on black vinyl ::Riot Fest Records (2010)
- Series 3 7" on clear orange vinyl ::Riot Fest Records (2011)
- What Poor Gods We Do Make DVD ::Riot Fest Records (2007)
Compilation album appearances
- Busted At Oz LP (Autumn Records, 1981)
- Rat Music for Rat People, Vol. 3 (CD Presents, 1987)
- Somethings's Gone Wrong Again: The Buzzcocks Covers Compilation (CD, LP, Comp, C/Z Records, 1992)
- Naked Raygun Biography by Greg Prato at AllMusic
- Big Black Biography by Mark Deming at AllMusic
- Pegboy Biography by Steve Huey at AllMusic
- The Bomb Biography by Andy Kellman at AllMusic
- DeRogatis, Jim (December 1, 1997). "Naked Raygun". Chicago Sun-Times. p. 32.
- Kot, Greg (December 1, 1997). "LASER-SHARP RAYGUN FIRES BACK POST-NIRVANA, POSTPUNK SCENE CLAIMS ITS DUE IN HIGH-OCTANE METRO SHOW". Chicago Tribune. p. 2.
- Kot, Greg (September 5, 1999). "PUNK LEGACY A DECADE LATER, NAKED RAYGUN FIRES VOLLEYS FROM THE UNDERGROUND". Chicago Tribune. p. 10.
- "Naked Raygun reunite permanently, plan live CD/DVD". AP Alt Press. January 4, 2007.
- "Naked Raygun - Official Site". Naked Raygun.
- Official Site - History
- Riot Fest – Naked Raygun entering the studio soon for 7" series, LP coming later
- "Interview With Neutron Bombs/Naked Raygun/The Bomb Bass Player Pete Mittler". Critical Mass. 2011-08-12. Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- "The Rave".
- "Summer Nationals 2014 Tour Announcement". Offspring.com. 2014-05-12. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- Chicago Tribune (29 August 2015). "Review: Foo Fighters at Wrigley Field - Chicago Tribune". chicagotribune.com.
- "Music: Naked Raygun: "Broken Things"".