Nanni Loy in Radiocorriere magazine, 1966
23 October 1925
|Died||21 August 1995 (aged 69)|
Nanni Loy (born Giovanni Loi; 23 October 1925 – 21 August 1995) was an Italian film, theatre and TV director. Specifically, Nanni Loy was Sardinian, and one of several notable Sardinian film makers, including Franco Solinas.
Loy was born in Cagliari, Sardinia: his father was Guglielmo Loy-Donà, a lawyer issue from a distinguished Sardinian-Venetian family, and his mother was the noblewoman Donna Anna Sanjust of the Marquesses of Neoneli. Rosetta Loy, an Italian novelist, is his sister-in-law.[circular reference]
He became famous for introducing in Italy the candid camera with his show Specchio segreto (Secret mirror) in 1965.
He specialized in comedy films such as Padre di famiglia but he also shot film dealing with social themes (Detenuto in attesa di giudizio and Sistemo l'America e torno).
- Parola di ladro (1956) (with Gianni Puccini)
- Il marito (1958) (with Gianni Puccini)
- Audace colpo dei soliti ignoti (1959)
- Un giorno da leoni (1961)
- Le quattro giornate di Napoli (1962)
- Beautiful Families (1964)
- Made in Italy (1965)
- Il padre di famiglia (1967)
- Rosolino Paternò soldato (1970)
- Detenuto in attesa di giudizio (1971)
- Sistemo l'America e torno (1973)
- Signore e signori, buonanotte (1976)
- Quelle strane occasioni (1976), fragment "Italian Superman", credited as Anonymous
- Basta che non si sappia in giro (1976)
- Café Express (1980)
- Testa o croce (1982)
- Mi manda Picone (1983)
- Amici miei atto III (1985)
- Scugnizzi (1989)
- Pacco, doppio pacco e contropaccotto (1993)
-  See the marriage notice in the Sanjust family tree (in Italian). Retrieved on 2011-12-5.
- "Rosetta Loy". Italian Wikipedia.
- "The 35th Academy Awards (1963) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 1 November 2011.
- "3rd Moscow International Film Festival (1963)". MIFF. Archived from the original on 16 January 2013. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Berlinale 1972: Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- Nanni Loy on IMDb
- "Nanni Loy, 69, Italian Director Known for Films on Wartime". The New York Times. 23 August 1995. Retrieved 3 February 2017.