National Border Service
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|National Border Service|
Servicio Nacional de Fronteras de la República de Panamá
|Motto||Dios Y Patria|
God and Country
|Formed||August 8, 2008|
|Overviewed by||Ministry of Public Security|
|Sworn members||3,624 officers (2013)|
|Unsworn members||123 personnel (2013)|
|Elected officer responsible|
|Parent agency||Panamanian Public Forces|
The National Border Service, also called SENAFRONT (abbreviation for Spanish: Servicio Nacional de Fronteras) is a police force specialized in the land border area and branch of the Panamanian Public Forces. Its mission is to protect Panama's land borders and protect its sovereignty and territorial integrity and protect rights and freedoms of people, maintain public order, prevent and investigate crimes within their jurisdictions.
In case of emergency or an foreign attack on Panama, SENAFRONT is the principal entity of the security forces trained to plan, organize, direct and execute all actions that ensure the security of the territory and population within the sovereign jurisdiction of the territory Panamanian with attachment and loyalty to constitutional and legal order established in the country.
It is currently deployed operationally in 7 combat battalions and one logistic battalion. On the border with the Republic of Colombia, the Eastern Brigade composed of: Caribbean Battalion, Central Battalion, Pacific Battalion, Fluvial Battalion, Battalion General José De Fabregas and Support and Service Battalion.
The SENAFRONT is headed by a Director General, which is appointed by President of Panama with recommendation of Minister of Government and Justice per article 14 of Decree Law No. 8 of August 20, 2008.
The border with the Republic of Costa Rica is the responsibility of the Western Battalion.
Has a Group of Special Forces which is organized by a Special Forces Battalion and deployed in 3 companies as follows:
- Reconnaissance Company and Combat Anti-Narcotics (RECOM).
- Jungle Operations Company.
- Company Cobra Assault and Infiltration.
|Glock 17||Austria||9x19mm Semiautomatic pistol|
|CZ Scorpion Evo 3||Czech Republic||9x19mm submachine gun|
|Colt M16 Assault Rifle||United States||Assault rifle|
|Colt M4 carbine||United States||Carbine|
|IMI Galil ACE||Israel/ Colombia||Carbine|
|T65 Assault Rifle||Taiwan||Assault rifle|
|AKMS||Soviet Union||Assault rifle|
|SVD Dragunov||Soviet Union||Semiautomatic sniper rifle|
|M40A5 rifle||United States||Bolt-action sniper rifle|
|Barrett M82||United States||Semiautomatic sniper rifle|
|FN Minimi||Belgium||Light machine gun|
|M60 machine gun||United States||General Purpose Machine Gun|
|FN MAG||Belgium||General Purpose Machine Gun|
|PK machine gun||Soviet Union||General Purpose Machine Gun|
|Browning M1919A4||United States||General Purpose Machine Gun|
|M2HB Browning||United States||Heavy Machine Gun|
|M203 grenade launcher||United States||40mm grenade launcher|
|RPG-7||Soviet Union||rocket-propelled Grenade|
|RPG-18||Soviet Union||rocket-propelled Grenade|
|M30 Mortar||United States||107mm|
|Soltam 60mm mortar||Israel||60mm|
|M19 mortar||United States||60mm|
|Humvee||United States||light utility vehicle|
|Jeep J8||United States||Gunship BPV -Border Patrol Vehicle 30 vehicle actually|
- "Decreto Ley No. 8 - Que crea el Servicio Nacional de Fronteras de la República de Panamá". Act No. 8 of 20 August 2008 (PDF) (in Spanish). República de Panamá Órgano Ejecutivo.
- Donadio 2013, p. 148.
- "Nosotros". senafront.gob.pa. Retrieved 16 June 2020.
- Special forces recognition guide. Collins. 2005. p. 446. ISBN 9780007183296.
- "The Gun Zone -- A 5.56 X 45mm "Timeline" 2008". 4 January 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-01-04. Retrieved 22 February 2020.
- Panama 1989-90. Osprey. ISBN 1855321564.
- Jane's infantry weapons, 1995-96 (21st ed.). Jane's Information Group. May 1995. ISBN 978-0-7106-1241-0.
- "Jeep J8". defensa.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- Donadio, Marcela (2013). Public security index : Central America : Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama (PDF). Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires: es:Red de Seguridad y Defensa de América Latina. ISBN 978-987-28638-6-9.