State Affairs Commission of North Korea
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
|DPRK National Defence Commission|
|Revised Romanization||Joseon minjujuui inmin gonghwaguk gukmu wiwonhoe|
|McCune–Reischauer||Chosŏn minjujuŭi inmin konghwaguk kukmu wiwŏnhoe|
The State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (SAC) is defined by the 2016 constitution as "the highest guiding organ of the managing organ of matters". Currently Kim Jong-un is the Chairman of the SAC and Ri Yong-Mu is the Vice-Chairman.
The National Defence Commission was created in 1972 as per the 1972 Constitution, originally the commission's mandate was to supervise national defence matters within North Korea.
Per the 4th plenary session of the Supreme People's Assembly in June of 2016 the National Defence Commission was officially replaced by the State Affairs Commission, with an expanded focus towards other national concerns aside from defence and security.
Powers and responsibilities
Article 106 of the Constitution of North Korea states that the State Affairs Commission is "the supreme national guidance organ of state sovereignty". Article 109 of the Constitution states that the SAC’s powers are to:
- deliberate and decide the work on defense building of the State, including major policies of the State;
- exercise supervision over the fulfillment of the orders of the Chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea and the decisions and directives of the State Affairs Commission, and take measures for their fulfillment;
- abrogate decisions and directives of State organs which run counter to the orders of the Chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea and the decisions and directives of the Commission.
Current composition of the DPRK SAC, as of June 2016
These are the members of the DPRK SAC after the 4th plenary session of the DPRK Supreme People's Assembly on 29 June of 2016.
- Chairman: Kim Jong-un
- Vice Chairmen:
- Members of the Commission:
- Kim Ki-nam, WPK Vice Chairman for Propaganda
- General of the Army Pak Yong-sik, Minister of the People's Armed Forces
- Ri Su-yong, WPK Vice Chairman for International Relations
- Ri Man-gon, WPK Vice Chairman for Machine Building
- Kim Yong-chol, WPK Vice Chairman for United Front Work
- General of the Army Kim Won-hong, Minister of State Security
- General of the Army Choe Pu-il, Minister of People's Security
- Ri Yong-ho, Foreign Minister
- Article 109 of the Constitution of North Korea