National Directorate of Security
|ریاست امنیت ملی|
Seal of the National Directorate of Security
|Website||Official website (registered but offline)|
The NDS is otherwise known as:
د ملي امنیت ریاست (the Pashto language)
ریاست امنیت ملی (Dari)
Riyasat-e Amniyat-e Milli
The National Directorate of Security was founded as the primary domestic and foreign intelligence agency of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan in 2002, and is considered the successor to KHAD, which was the previous intelligence organization, before the Civil War.
As the primary intelligence organ of Afghanistan, the NDS shares information with ministries of Afghanistan and with provincial authorities. The NDS also cooperates with the American CIA, the Pakistani ISI, and other NATO Intelligence Agencies.
Directors and deputy heads
The president of Afghanistan Ashraf Ghani is the Director.
- Muhammad Arif Sarwari (Oct. 2001 – Feb. 2004)
- Amrullah Saleh (Feb. 2004 – June 2010)
- Ibrahim Spinzada (June 2010 – July 2010) Acting
- Rahmatullah Nabil (July 2010 – September 2012) Hasamudin Hasam (deputy 2011) 
- Asadullah Khalid (September 2012 – August 2013)
- Rahmatullah Nabil (August 2013 – December 2015), Adib Fahim (appointed as deputy July 1, 2015)
- United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan. Treatment of Conflict-Related Detainees in Afghan Custody (PDF). UN Office of The High Commissioner for Human Rights, October 2011, Kabul. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- PRAVEEN SWAMI -  published by The Hindu May 1, 2014 [Retrieved 2015-07-30](this source the source only of Riyasat-e Amniyat-e Milli)
- BBC. Article. British Broadcasting Corporation - 14 August 2011. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- Anthony H. Cordesman; Adam Mausner; Jason Lemieux. Afghan National Security Forces: What it Will Take to Implement the ISAF Strategy. CSIS 1 Jan 2010, 230 pages, ISBN 0892066083. Retrieved 2015-07-29.(MOI is taken i.e. understood to refer to the Ministry of Interior according to page 62, not Ministry of Information)
- Abasin Zaheeron, ed. (May 20, 2012). "Iran, Pakistan out to weaken Afghanistan, MPs told". Pajhwok Afghan News. Retrieved May 20, 2012.
- Jessica Donati & Mirwais Harooni. reportage. published by Reuters Sat Mar 21, 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-29.
- Carlotta Gall, ed. (August 19, 2010). "New Afghan Intelligence Chief Aims to Build Trust". The New York Times. Retrieved May 20, 2012.
- news published by Office of the Chief Executive of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan [Retrieved 2015-07-30]
- Julian Richards – A Guide to National Security: Threats, Responses and Strategies published by OUP Oxford, 23 Feb 2012, ISBN 0199655065
- Jared N. Gehmann (Sgt.) – focus – published by Afghanistan Resolute Support (Nato)
- Sylvana Q. Sinha (of the Weil's International Arbitration and Trade Practice Group – World Justice Project) – prison visit to view NDS detainees December 10, 2012
- Independent Strategy and Intelligence Study Group – report June 2, 2015:The NDS disrupt a plot
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Directorate of Security.|