List of print media in New Zealand
This is a list of print media in New Zealand. New Zealand once had several daily newspapers in each major city, but as in other countries the medium was damaged by radio and then television, and each city now only has one daily newspaper.
There are no truly national newspapers, although The New Zealand Herald and to a lesser extent The Dominion Post are both available outside their core areas. The four main centres of Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, and Dunedin are served by The New Zealand Herald, The Dominion Post, The Press, and the Otago Daily Times. In addition, there are several weekly newspapers with a national scope, including two tabloids. There are also numerous low-budget weekly newspapers catering for particular suburbs or for subcultures including the gay and farming communities and various ethnic groups.
National weekly papers
- The Cambridge Edition
- Cook Strait News
- The Courier, Ashburton
- The Ensign, Gore
- Fiordland Advocate, Southland
- The GB Weekly, Golden Bay
- Hamilton News
- Hamilton Press
- Horowhenua Mail
- Horowhenua Chronicle
- Howick and Botany Times
- Howick and Pakuranga Times
- The Hurunui Times
- The Kaikoura Star
- Kapiti Observer
- The Matamata Chronicle
- The News (also called The Lakes District and Central Otago News), Alexandra
- The Northern Outlook, North Canterbury
- Raglan Chronicle
- River City Press
- Ruapehu Bulletin
- South Waikato News
- Southland Express, Invercargill
- Southern Rural Life
- The Star, Christchurch
- The Star, Dunedin
- Te Awamutu Courier
- The Timaru Courier
- Waitomo News
- The Weekend Sun
- Australian Women's Weekly NZ Edition
- New Zealand Woman's Weekly
- Challenge Weekly
- New Zealand Listener
- North & South
- Canta – University of Canterbury
- Craccum – University of Auckland
- Critic – University of Otago
- Gyro – Otago Polytechnic
- Nexus – University of Waikato
- Salient – Victoria University of Wellington
Note: these newspapers are listed by decade of first issue.
- Joseph Ivess (1844–1919), who had an association with about 40 newspapers and founded many of them
- Rosenberg, Bill (2008-09-13). "News media ownership in New Zealand" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-09-14.
- "Press audit results". The New Zealand Audit Bureau of Circulations. Retrieved 11 April 2011.
- "PAEROA GAZETTE 1891 – 1991". ohinemuri.org.nz. Retrieved 31 October 2010.
- Bruce Macdonald Brown (1966). "High Casualty Rate". Department of External Affairs. Retrieved 2008-07-05.
- The I. W. W. and the General Strike in Aotearoa. Trouble Makers – Anarchism and Syndicalism. Takver.com (1999-08-16). Retrieved on 2012-07-03.
- Nicholas Evan Reid, The Bishop's Paper: A History of the Catholic Press of the Diocese of Auckland, CPC, Auckland, 2000, p. 55 ISBN 0473072181
- Harvey, Ross. "Ivess, Joseph – Biography". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Ministry for Culture and Heritage. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- Papers Past at the National Library of New Zealand – a digitised collection of some historical news papers