|Directed by||Daniel Cormack|
|Produced by||Daniel Cormack|
|Written by||Ben Clover|
|Music by||Andy Simms|
|Edited by||Ian Grech|
|Distributed by||Network Ireland Television|
In 2010, Nightwalking was selected for preservation by the British Film Institute's National Archive and was archived by the British Universities Film and Video Council as part of their Television and Radio Index for Learning and Teaching (TRILT). In 2012, the film was acquired by the British Library's Moving Image Collection.
Returning from a night out, Martha (Raquel Cassidy) hears footsteps behind her and becomes convinced she's being followed as she walks down a dark path on her way home. She ponders various strategies such as pretending to do up her shoes in order to let her follower overtake her or simply running away, but dismisses each idea as endangering her even more. Eventually she screws up her courage to turn around and confront the man behind her, but when she does so she sees nothing except a mobile phone glowing on the ground as it calls somebody. James (Lloyd Woolf), her follower, has actually been going out of his way to avoid the impression he is following her or is a threat, but every time he does so it somehow backfires. He tries speeding up to overtake her, but this only makes Martha walk faster. He ponders taking a different route, but there are no turnings off the path they are walking down. Eventually he decides to make a "loud non-threatening phone call" to his mum, reasoning that: "I bet rapists never call their mums." However as he is distracted with finding her number in his phone, he fails to notice a manhole in the ground and falls head over heels into it, his phone flying to the ground near Martha's feet.
Nightwalking was originally released online as part of the inaugural Virgin Media Shorts Competition in 2008. It quickly became the most viewed film attracting over 12,300 views and hundreds of comments. The judges initially shortlisted the film for the Grand Prize. However, when the film came to be classified by the British Board of Film Classification it was given a 12a certificate, thus disqualifying it from the competition, which required that the 12 shortlisted films were certified as a PG or U.
|Edition||Festival||Programme Title||Venue||Date||Time||Country||Première Status|
|8th||X'08 International Disability Film Festival||Director's Showcase: Daniel Cormack||BFI Southbank,
|15 February 2008||15:50||UK||World|
|2nd||Shooting People Split Focus at the BFI||Split Focus: Daniel Cormack / Kara Miller||BFI Southbank,
|10 March 2008||18:00||UK|||
|1st||Wimbledon Shorts Film Festival||Wimbledon Shorts Film Competition||Polka Theatre, Main Theatre||7 June 2008||18:30||UK|||
|7th||Shot by the Sea:
Hastings Film Festival
Prior to Persepolis
Prior to Persepolis
|Electric Palace Cinema||25 August 200828 August 2008 29 August 2008||20:00
|2nd||Canary Wharf Film Festival||Short Film UK||Museum in Docklands
East Wintergarden, Canary Wharf
Cineworld West India Quay, Screen 7
Cineworld West India Quay, Screen 7
|28 August 200829 August 2008 30 August 2008 31 August 2008||14:45
|7th||Cornwall Film Festival||Another Country International Short Film Award||Dewhelens Festival, Looe
Lewannick Village Hall
Weslyan Chapel St Mary's Isles of Scilly
The Aggie Film Club
Wooda Farm, Carckington Haven
Downderry Film Kitchen
Tate St Ives
Princess Pavilion, Theatre, Falmouth
|2 September 20085 September 2008 7 September 2008 23 September 2008 25 September 2008 26 September 2008 26 September 2008 14 October 2008 8 November 2008||19:00
|13th||Portobello Film Festival||London Filmmakers Convention - Day 2||Paradise Bar,
Private Dining Room
|3 September 2008||18:00||UK|||
|3rd||Compass of Mystery Festival||Five Minutes of Mystery||Mivart Street Studios
|4 October 2008||16:00||UK|||
|1st||Hello Digital Film Festival||Prior to the feature presentation of 28 Days Later||Electric Cinema, Birmingham||28 September 2008||17:00||UK|||
|9th||Filmstock International Film Festival||Short Film Weekend 02||The Hat Factory, Screen One
The Hat Factory, Basement
|7 November 20088 November 2008||21:00
|12th||CAN Leicester Film Festival||Day 2||Phoenix Arts Centre
|8 November 2009||19:00||UK|||
|6th||The End of the Pier International Film Festival||Comedy Drama Shorts||Regis Centre,
|1 May 2009||18:00||UK|||
|9th||Nickel Independent Film Festival||Shorts||Memorial University of Newfoundland,
INCO Innovation Centre
|26 June 2009||19:30||Canada||Canadian|
|3rd||Limelight Film & Arts Awards||Best Comedy category||Troxy,
|8 July 2010||18:30||UK|||
|4th||Rob Knox Film Festival||Festival||New Generation Church
Erith Rowing Club
|31 May 20115 June 2011 8 June 2011||19:00
|2nd||Twickenham Alive Film Festival||Festival||Live Room, Twickenham Stadium
Edmund Kean Theatre, Richmond Upon Thames College
|26 April 20131 May 2013||19:00
In 2010, Nightwalking was broadcast on Channel 4 as part of "a series of short original films produced by a variety of talented writers and directors"; the first time in over 8 years that Channel 4 had acquired and broadcast independent short films.
|Winner||Best Merton Filmmaker Award||Wimbledon Shorts Film Competition||Daniel Cormack||2008|
|Nominated||Short Film UK Award||Canary Wharf Film Festival||Daniel Cormack||2008|
|Nominated||Another Country International Short Film Award||Cornwall Film Festival||Daniel Cormack||2008|
|Nominated||Five Minutes of Mystery - Best Film Award||Compass of Mystery Film Festival||Daniel Cormack||2008|
|Nominated||Golden Monkey Award||CAN Leicester Film Festival||Daniel Cormack||2008|
|Nominated||Best Comedy Award||Limelight Film & Arts Awards||Daniel Cormack||2010|
|Special Mention||National Drama Award||Twickenham Alive Film Festival||Daniel Cormack||2013|
|Shortlisted (Disqualified)||Virgin Media Shorts Award||Virgin Media||Daniel Cormack||2008|
- "Nightwalking (2008)". BFI - Film & TV Database.
- "Night Walking". British Universities Film and Video Council.
- "The British Library Sound & Moving Image catalogue". British Library.
- "Nightwalking - British Library". British Library.
- "Virgin Media Shorts - Nightwalking". Virgin Media. 4 Nov 2008. Archived from the original on 4 November 2008.
- "Virgin Media Shorts - Nightwalking (Bottom of page)". Virgin Media Shorts. 1 Sep 2008. Archived from the original on 1 September 2008.
- "Virgin Media Shorts - Nightwalking". British Board of Film Classification.
- "Director's Showcase: Daniel Cormack". Film London.
- "Director's Showcase: Daniel Cormack". Remote Goat.
- "Film Preview". London: The Guardian. 9 February 2008.
- "Split Focus #2". Shooting People.
- "Wimbledon Shorts 2008 - Winners". Wimbledon Film Club.
- "Electric Palace: Shot by the Sea: Hastings Film Festival 2008". Electric Palace Cinema.
- "SBTS 08 Brochure" (PDF). Electric Palace Cinema.
- "Short Film UK". Canary Wharf Film Festival.
- "Canary Wharf Film Festival review: Short Film UK". The Wharf.
- "CWFF08 Festival Guide" (PDF). Canary Wharf Film Festival.
- "Cornwall Film Festival 2008: Another Country International Short Film Award". Cornwall Film Festival.
- "Portobello Film Festival London Filmmakers Convention". Portobello Film Festival.
- "Compass of Desire Festival". Short Film Central.
- "Hello Digital - Daniel Cormack". Hello Digital.
- "How to programme a film festival: update three". Catherine Bray.
- "Filmstock International Film Festival". Short Film Central.
- "LINE OUT - Movie Making in the East Midlands". Line Out - Leicester Independent Producers' Association. 19 Dec 2008. Archived from the original on 19 December 2008.
- "Friday 1st May". End of the Pier International Film Festival.
- "2010 Nickel Film Festival Roadshow". College of the North Atlantic.
- "Limelight Film & Arts Awards". Spotlight UK.
- "Licensing Sub-Committee Agenda". Bexley Council.
- "Twickenham Alive Film Festival". Twickenham Alive.
- "Twickenham Alive Film Festival" (PDF). Twickenham Alive.
- "Night Walking Channel 4 (HD)". TV Pixie.
- "Channel 4 Orders Network Ireland Television Shorts". Irish Film & Television Network.
- "Nightwalking (2008) - User ratings". IMDb.
- "Nightwalking". Festival Focus.
- Actaeon Films Official Production Company website
- Network Ireland Television Official Distributor website
- Nightwalking at the BBC Film Network
- Nightwalking at the British Council British Films Directory
- Nightwalking at the British Film Institute's Film and TV Database
- Nightwalking at the Complete Index to World Film
- Nightwalking on Internet Movie Database