No Nut November
No Nut November is an internet challenge revolving around abstinence, in which participants abstain from masturbating or having an orgasm during the month of November. It originated in the early 2010s and grew in popularity on social media after 2017.
No Nut November is an internet challenge revolving around abstinence, in which participants abstain from masturbating or having an orgasm during the month of November. Although No Nut November was originally intended to be satirical, some participants claim that abstaining from ejaculating and watching pornography has health benefits. An Urban Dictionary entry for No Nut November was published in 2011, and, in 2017, the movement started to gain popularity on social media. It is associated with the NoFap community on Reddit, which encourages its members not to masturbate. The Reddit community /r/NoNutNovember grew from 16,500 subscribers in November 2018 to 52,000 subscribers as of November 2019 and to 85,300 in November 2020.
After some public figures, such as Paul Joseph Watson promoted the campaign, E. J. Dickson of Rolling Stone Magazine suggested that the movement has been coopted by the far-right. Vice Media criticized the challenge in 2018 after followers sent threats to xHamster's Twitter account.
Destroy Dick December
Destroy Dick December is a related internet challenge following No Nut November, in which it serves as a counterpoint, encouraging participants to take part in sexual activities, in some cases as many times as equal to the number of the day, such as intercourse and masturbation, after abstaining from them during the previous month.
- National Masturbation Day
- Wank Week
- The Contest
- Lent, a cultural practice by some Christians to partially abstain from food and certain luxuries for six weeks
- Ramadan, a cultural practice by Muslims to partially abstain from food, water, alcohol, sexual activity, and Islamic sins for around a month
- Ethan Vassar (10 November 2019). "Seriously: You failed No Nut November, what now?". The Rocky Mountain Collegian. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- EJ Dickson (8 November 2019). "How a New Meme Exposes the Far-Right Roots of #NoNutNovember". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- Zachary Zane (5 November 2019). "Inside 'No Nut November,' Where Guys Don't Masturbate for a Month". Men's Health. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- Phoebe Loomes (24 November 2018). "Thousands of men quit sex for 'No Nut November'". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- Samantha Cole (30 November 2018). "Let This Be the Last No Nut November". Vice. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- "Destroy Dick December Is the New Month Long Masturbation Challenge". The Daily Dot. 2017-11-15. Retrieved 2020-11-22.
- "What is Destroy Your Dick December?". Metro. 2018-12-01. Retrieved 2020-11-22.
- Dictionary.com's definition on Destroy Dick December