1946 North Vietnamese legislative election
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
National Assembly elections were held in areas controlled by North Vietnam on 6 January 1946. Held under the 1946 constitution, they resulted in a victory for the Communist-led League for the Independence of Vietnam (better known as Viet Minh), which won 182 of the 302 seats, although the distribution of seats had been decided before the elections. The ballot was not secret, and ballot papers were filled out in the presence of aides who were "to help comrades who had difficulty in making out their ballots."
On 8 September 1945, six days after the proclamation of independence, Ho Chi Minh signed decree 14 on the National Assembly elections. On 17 October he signed decree 15 detailing the regulations for the elections; turnout was required to be at least 25% to validate the results, all citizens over the age of 18 had the right to vote, and those over 21 could stand as candidates. On November 11, as an effort to alleviate the fears of a Communist takeover, the Indochinese Communist Party announced its dissolution. However, it remained de facto in existence and in control of the Viet Minh.
The elections were opposed by the French colonial authorities and their supporters, and were marked by bombings and misinformation.
|League for the Independence of Vietnam||60.27||182|
|Vietnam Democratic Party||14.90||45|
|Viet Nam Quoc Dan Dang||8.61||26|
|Vietnam Socialist Party||8.94||27|
|Vietnamese Revolutionary League||7.28||22|
|Source: Nohlen et al.|
The first session of the National Assembly took place on 2 March 1946.
- Dieter Nohlen, Florian Grotz & Christof Hartmann (2001) Elections in Asia: A data handbook, Volume II, p331 ISBN 0-19-924959-8
- Nohlen et al., p336
- Nohlen et al., p324
- Tổng tuyển cử đầu tiên và sự hoàn thiện, phát triển các chế định bầu cử ở nước ta ChungTa
- Cuộc tổng tuyển cử đầu tiên năm 1946 - Một mốc son lịch sử của thể chế HoChiMinh City University
- Jacques Dalloz, La Guerre d'Indochine 1945-1954, Seuil, 1987, p. 92
- 6-1-1946: TỔNG TUYỂN CỬ BẦU QUỐC HỘI ĐẦU TIÊN CỦA NƯỚC VIỆT NAM DÂN CHỦ CỘNG HOÀ Lich su Viet Nam
- Những cuộc trả lời phỏng vấn báo chí của Bác Hồ (Phần 2)