Vietnam People's Public Security
|Vietnam People's Public Security|
Công an Nhân dân Việt Nam
Logo of Vietnam People's Public Security
Six golden letters: For Security of the Fatherland
For myself, to bearfrugal integrity;
|Active||19 August 1945–present|
|Branch||Branches* Vietnam People's Security Force* Vietnam People's Police Force|
|Motto(s)||For Security of Fatherland|
|Colours||yellow, red, blue|
We are the policemen |
Author: Professor Trọng Bằng
Nghệ-Tĩnh Soviets |
Attack on Ôn Như Hầu Street
Gangs of Nam Cam
PMU 18 Corruption
Murder at Cat Tuong Beauty Salon
|Minister of Public Security||Senior Lieutenant General Tô Lâm|
Lê Hồng Anh, |
The People's Public Security of Vietnam (Vietnamese: Công an Nhân dân Việt Nam) is the main police and security force of Vietnam, under control of the Ministry of Public Security. It is a part of the Vietnam People's Armed Forces and under the de facto control of Communist Party of Vietnam.
This force was created on 19 August 1945.
- 1 Functions and branches
- 2 Tasks and powers of the People's Public Security Forces
- 3 The organisational system of the People's Public Security Forces
- 4 Department of Public Security of municipalities
- 5 Ranks of the People's Public Security of Vietnam
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Functions and branches
The People's Public Security of Vietnam has two branches:
- Vietnam People's Security
- Prevent, investigate, and defeat potential actions against enemies of the Vietnamese nation and that can endanger national security.
- Intelligence working.
- Joining forces in internal political security, economical security, ideology-cultural security, network security and information security with other uniformed bodies as established by law.
- Manage entrance or exit visas. Manage every foreign person and Vietnamese people in foreign country visit to Vietnam. Protect the secret of government. Work in mission to protect national security at border regions and crossings through legal means.
- Helping to build personal security in every kind of life, at every area in the country.
- Performing other duties, missions and responsibilities in keeping with the law.
- Vietnam People's Police (including Civil Defence forces)
- Working to prevent, investigate and solve environmental, political, traffic, functional and corruption-related criminal activities in keeping with the laws of the Socialist Republic
- Working with the general public on crime prevention and in participation in its actions
- Perform responsibilities and duties pertaining to:
- Identification security
- Public security
- Transport security
- Road and highway safety
- Civil defence
- Disaster preparedness and response
- Execute other duties and missions in accordance with the Constitution and the laws of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
These two forces are trained mainly at two institutions, the People's Police Academy of Vietnam and the People's Security Institute of Vietnam.
Tasks and powers of the People's Public Security Forces
- To collect information, analyze, evaluate and predict situation and propose the Party and the State to promulgate and direct the implementation of guidelines, policies, laws and strategies on protection of national security and maintenance of social order and safety. To propose the combination of requirements of the strategies on protection of national security and maintenance of social order and safety with those strategies and policies on socio-economic construction and development, national defense and the State's external relations.
- To protect the freedom rights, democracy, life and property of the people; to protect high-ranking leading officials of the Party and the State and foreign guests; to safeguard important events, targets and key projects of national security, foreign representative offices, representatives of Vietnam-based international organizations, individuals holding or closely related to state secrets.
- To receive and process reports and denouncements on crimes, initiate criminal lawsuits and investigate crimes, and perform other judicial tasks according to the provisions of law.
- To sanction administrative violations and apply other administrative handling measures as provided for by law.
- To guide, inspect and examine agencies, organizations and citizens in performing the task of protecting national security and maintaining social order and safety; to conduct the law propagation, dissemination and education and build up "the whole population protects the Fatherland's security" movement.
- To apply masses mobilization, legal, diplomatic, economic, scientific-technical, professional and armed measures to protect national security and maintain social order and safety.
- To use weapons, supporting tools and necessary technical and professional means in attacking crimes and making self-defense according to the provisions of law.
- In case of necessity, to issue decisions on or propose the suspension or termination of operations of agencies, organizations or individuals which are detrimental to national security, social order and safety; to requisition means of transport, communication equipments and other technical means of agencies, organizations, individuals and operators or users of such means according to the provisions of law.
- To request agencies, organizations or individuals to coordinate in activities and supply information related to national security, social order and safety.
- To closely coordinate with the People's Army, Self-Defense and Militia Forces and state agencies in protecting national security, maintaining social order and safety, and defending the national independence, sovereignty, unity and territorial integrity.
- To research and apply modern scientific and technological achievements in protecting national security and maintaining social order and safety.
- To build up the forces of political, ideological, organizational and professional cleaness and strength.
- To enter into international cooperation on protection of national security and social order and safety.
The organisational system of the People's Public Security Forces
- The organisational system of the People's Public Security Forces is composed of:
- Ministry of Public Security;
- Public Security Departments of municipalities and provinces
- Public Security Offices of rural districts, urban districts, towns and provincial cities;
- Public Security Posts of communes, wards and townships.
Department of Public Security of municipalities
- Hanoi Public Security Department
- Ho Chi Minh City Public Security Department
- Hai Phong Public Security Department
- Da Nang Public Security Department
- Can Tho Public Security Department
Ranks of the People's Public Security of Vietnam
Highest rank (Army Forces)
- General – only held by Minister of Public Security.
- Colonel General – usually held by Deputy Ministers of Public Security.
- Lieutenant General – usually held by Director Generals of General Department, Director General of Ho Chi Minh City Police Department, Director General of Hanoi Police Department.
- Major General – usually by Vice Director Generals of General Department and Directors of Department.
Middle-ranking and low-ranking officers
- Senior Colonel – usually held by Vice Directors of Department and Chiefs of Provincial Police.
- Colonel – usually held by Chiefs of District Police and Chiefs of Division.
- Lieutenant Colonel – usually held by Chiefs of Ward Police and Chiefs of Police Team.
- Major – usually held by Vice Chiefs of Police Team.
- Senior Lieutenant
- Second Lieutenant
- Sergeant Major
- Private First Class, Senior Constable, Firefighter 1st Class
- Private, Constable, Firefighter
- "Law on people's public security forces, Chapter 1". Vietnam Ministry of Justice. 29 November 2005. Retrieved 25 February 2017. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
Media related to Police of Vietnam at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website (in Vietnamese)