Ohio State Route 821
|Maintained by ODOT|
|Length||48.85 mi (78.62 km)|
|South end||SR 60 near Marietta|
| I-77 near Marietta|
I-77 in Belle Valley
|North end||I-77 / SR 209 in Byesville|
|Counties||Washington, Noble, Guernsey|
State Route 821 (SR 821) is a north–south state highway in the southeastern portion of the U.S. state of Ohio. A state-maintained section of the old US 21, its southern terminus is at SR 60 approximately 2 miles (3.2 km) north of Marietta, and its northern terminus is at I-77 in Byesville, along with the eastern terminus of SR 209. The route is entirely undivided surface road, and is much less direct than the newer I-77 which supplanted it as a through route. As the interstate was being built, the designation of US 21 was moved to the freeway before Ohio wholly decommissioned the now-superfluous U.S. route. SR 821 was designated about two years after US 21 was moved onto I-77 in southeastern Ohio.
Along its path, SR 821 passes through central portions of Washington County and Noble County, and into the southern part of Guernsey County. No segment of the route is included as a part of the National Highway System (NHS). The NHS is a network of highways identified as being most important for the economy, mobility and defense of the nation.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2011)
SR 821 was created in 1971. The designation was applied to what was the former routing of US 21 between Marietta and Byesville, prior to the completion of I-77 through the area by 1969. At the time, when the US 21 designation was removed from Ohio in favor of I-77, this stretch of roadway was removed from the state highway system. However, by 1971, it was introduced back into the system, and was given the designation of SR 821, based on its routing along the old path of US 21.
|Washington||Muskingum Township||0.00||0.00||SR 60 – Marietta, Lowell, Beverly|
|3.12||5.02||I-77 – Marietta||Exit 6 (I-77)|
|Salem Township||10.36||16.67||SR 145 north (Main Street) – Stafford, Lewisville||Southern terminus of SR 145|
|11.57||18.62||SR 530 west – Lowell||Eastern terminus of SR 530|
|Noble||Jefferson Township||20.96||33.73||SR 339 south – Beverly||Northern terminus of SR 339|
|Olive Township||28.33||45.59||SR 78 to I-77 – McConnelsville, Woodsfield|
|Caldwell||29.66||47.73||SR 285 north (Planning Mill Street) – Sarahsville||Southern terminus of SR 285|
|Noble Township||32.38||52.11||SR 215 east – Sarahsville||Western terminus of SR 215|
|Belle Valley||32.84||52.85||I-77||Exit 28 (I-77)|
|Noble Township||33.52||53.95||SR 340 west – Cumberland||Eastern terminus of SR 340|
|Buffalo Township||39.81||64.07||SR 672 west||Eastern terminus of SR 672|
|Guernsey||Valley Township||42.60||68.56||SR 146 east (West Main Street) / Pleasant Road||Southern end of SR 146 concurrency|
|42.73||68.77||SR 146 west||Northern end of SR 146 concurrency|
|44.07||70.92||SR 313 – Chandlersville, Buffalo|
|Byesville||48.13||77.46||SR 209 west (Main Street) / North 2nd Street||Southern end of SR 209 concurrency|
|48.85||78.62||I-77 / CR 35 (Vocational Road) – Cleveland||Northern end of SR 209 concurrency; exit 41 (I-77)|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Official Ohio Highway Map (MrSID) (Map). Cartography by ODOH. Ohio Department of Highways. 1969. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- Ohio Highway Map (MrSID) (Map). Cartography by ODOH. Ohio Department of Highways. 1971. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- Ohio Department of Transportation. "Technical Services Straight Line Diagrams: SR 821, Washington County" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- Ohio Department of Transportation. "Technical Services Straight Line Diagrams: SR 821, Noble County" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- Ohio Department of Transportation. "Technical Services Straight Line Diagrams: SR 821, Guernsey County" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- National Highway System: Ohio (PDF) (Map). Federal Highway Administration. December 2003. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- Official Ohio Highway Map (MrSID) (Map). Cartography by ODOH. Ohio Department of Highways. 1967. Retrieved 2011-09-22.