Old Man River (musician)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Old Man River
|Birth name||Ohad Rein|
|Born||18 April 1979|
|Origin||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Associated acts||Gelbison, Nations by the River|
Old Man River is the stage name of Australian-Israeli singer-songwriter Ohad Rein (Hebrew: אוהד ריין, [oˈ(h)ad ˈrejn], born 18 April 1979), which is also the name of his band. At the APRA Awards of 2009, "Sunshine", co-written by Old Man River, won the Blues & Roots Work of the Year category.
Ohad Rein was born on 18 April 1979 and grew up in Sydney. He moved to Europe with his family at a very early age before moving to Israel where he served in the local army during his formative years. He spent many years abroad before finally returned to Sydney. He collaborated with Sydney band, Gelbison, touring with the band and co-writing some of the tracks which appear on his debut album Good Morning. This led to the side project Nations by the River, which combined Gelbison with Luke Steele from Sleepy Jackson.
The single "Sunshine" was used as a theme for Channel 7's Sunrise. The single "La" reached #83 on the German singles chart, topped the Japanese Radio Airplay chart and was #6 on Italy's airplay chart. "La", "Trousers" and "Sunshine" all received significant airplay on Triple J.
The single "La" was featured in a New York Lottery commercial.
- Ohad Rein (Vocals, Guitar)
- Liam Flanagan (Bass Guitar)
- Danny Heifetz (Drums)
- Rosie Henshaw (Backing Vocals, Sitar)
- "Sunshine" (2004)
- "You're On My Mind" (2010)
- "Trousers" (2006)
- "La" (2007)
- "Sunshine" (2008)
- "You're on My Mind" (2010)
- "Norway (I Like It Like This)" (2010)
- "Blues & Roots Work of the Year". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- The Australian Magazine, 12 July 2008, "OLD MAN RIVER -- singer-songwriter" by Report Helen O'Neill
- Manly Daily, 26 April 2007, "unplugged: feel the sun in rein"
- Townsville Bulletin, 24 January 2008, "Aussie a hit in Japan"
- Joins.com, 13 October 2008, "Aussie Old Man River, he just keeps rolling" by Kim Hyung-eun
- The Courier-Mail, 2 August 2007, "On a steady road to the charts" by Kathy McCabe
- Sunday Herald Sun, 4 March 2007, "WIN"
- Straits Times, 27 February 2009, Good Morning review by Yeow Kai Chai
- STM Entertainment Magazine, 27 May 2007, Good Morning review by Jay Hanna
- The Sydney Morning Herald, 23 March 2007, Good Morning review by Bernard Zuel
- Daily Telegraph, 10 March 2007, Good Morning review by Kathy McCabe
- Sun Herald, 4 March 2007, Good Morning review by Craig Mathieson
- Daily Telegraph, 28 October 2004, "Sunshine" review