Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry
|Oregon Health & Science University|
|Dean||Dr. Phillip T. Marucha|
|Location||Portland, OR, U.S.
The Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry is the dental school of Oregon Health & Science University. It is located in the city of Portland, Oregon, United States. It is the only dental school in Oregon.
Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry is a part of Oregon Health & Science University. The school was established in 1899 when the Oregon College of Dentistry merged with the Tacoma College of Dental Surgery to create the North Pacific Dental College in Portland. After being renamed as North Pacific College, that school merged into the then University of Oregon Medical School in 1945.
After the merger, a controversy arose over the relationship between the dental school and the university. Eventually members of the Oregon State Dental Association sued the Oregon State Board of Higher Education for a declaratory judgment on the interpretation of the law that created the merger. The issue was whether the dental school was a subdivision of (the former ) Oregon University System, or was it a subdivision of the University of Oregon. In 1954, the Oregon Supreme Court ruled that the dental college was a subdivision of the higher education system.
Phillip Marucha was named the schools ninth dean in April 2013, replacing Jack Clinton. In 2014, the School moved into the Collaborative Life Sciences Building & Skourtes Tower on OHSU's South Waterfront campus.
Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry awards following degrees:
- Doctor of Dental Medicine
Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry includes the following departments:
- Department of Community Dentistry
- Department of Endodontics
- Department of Integrative Biosciences
- Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Department of Orthodontics
- Department of Pathology & Radiology
- Department of Pediatric Dentistry
- Department of Periodontics
- Department of Restorative Dentistry
- "History". About. Oregon Health & Science University. Retrieved 26 December 2011.
- State ex rel. Oregon State Dental Ass’n et al. v. Smith et al. (1954), 201 Or. 288; 270 P.2d 142.
- Giegerich, Andy (April 23, 2013). "OHSU hires new dentistry school dean". Portland Business Journal. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- "Collaborative Life Sciences Building". About OHSU. Oregon Health & Science University. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- "DDS/DMD Programs". Commission on Dental Accreditation. American Dental Association. Retrieved 18 October 2014.