|This article does not cite any sources. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Otto Torvik (born June 12, 1901 in Bolsøy, died in 1988) was a Norwegian missionary in Xinjiang and in India. He founded the Norwegian Missionary Muhammad Mission (Den Norske Muhammedanermisjon) in 1940. Today, the name is changed to Christian Muslim Mission (Kristen Muslimmisjon). Otto Torvik was a central figure in the Norwegian Missionary Muhammad Mission.
Otto Torvik was born in Romsdal in Bolsøy parish just east of Molde. His father was Ingebrigt Taraldsen from Torvik, Romsdal in Norway and was farmer and lay preacher. His mother was sick when Otto Torvik was born, and she prayed to the God that his son had to be used in the service of God.
After elementary school he attended Rauma Folk High School in Molde, where Torvik first heard of the overseas missions. The missionary call grew in him and he continued to study at a Mission school at Fjellhaug in Oslo which was run by the Norwegian Lutheran China Mission Association. Otto Torvik was awarded with a Bachelor of Theology by the Augsburg Seminary and a Master of theology by the Hartford Seminary. He was ordained as a priest in 1946.
In 1931, Torvik traveled to Chinese Turkistan to see if it was possible to start with a Christian mission there. In 1940 he founded the Norwegian Missionary Muhammad Mission. Otto Torvik was a central role in this Mission. Eight years later in 1948, Torvik traveled to India as a pioneer missionary. He built a mission station in Sajinipara and this was the mission's first mission field in India.
- 1939 - God's people.Standard Hours Published byMission Fjellhaug on course. (New edition by Nmm in 1986).
- 1939 -Between Muhammedanere.Bergen. (New edition 1946).
- 1940 and 1942 - AbdullaJanuary, Bergen.
- 1945 -Behind the Himalayas.Bergen.
- 1945 - Article in book A. Tangeraas:Fight and excitement.Oslo, p. 300-314.
- 1961 -Muhammad Distinguished Mission.Oslo.
- 1967 -Among muhammedanere in India.Stavanger.
- 1971 -Salvation and responsibility (sermon collection )., Stavanger.
- 1981 -Helene from Kyrgyzstan.Oslo.
- A series of articles in the magazineEnsign countries.
- Nils Bloch-Hoell. 1954. Muhammad ideamission.Oslo. Brochure.
- Jens Christensen. 1959. Islam.Copenhagen.
- Torben Christensen. 1957. A church becomes.
- Nils Dybdal-Holthe. 1976. On Faithroads. Torvik 75th birthday.
- Nils Dybdal-Holthe. 1989. In Jesus' commandments. Nmm 50 years.
- Olav Hodne. 1967. The Seed drill Fruit.Dumka.
- Gunnar Melbø. ?. Islam- a mission call.
- Gunnar Melbø. 1951. WarriorThe Prophet.
- Gunnar Melbø. ?. Callscross.
- O. G. Myklebust (rode). 1949. Muhammedanismen as a missionproblem.
- Geir Valle. 1973. Religions and Christian mission.
- A. Romarheim. ?. The Muslim faith and our faith.
- Arne Rudvin. 1971. The Gospel and Islam.
- Norwegian Mission Category 1-3. 1965.
- Sources of NMMs Office (forhandlingsprotokollar, accounts, letters, records).
- Light of countries - sheets Christian Muslim Mission.
- Torvik own books.