Paul Kim (academic)
|Born||1970 (age 47–48)
Inchon, South Korea
While at Stanford, in addition to teaching graduate level courses in the School of Education, he has been leading projects involving the design of learning technologies, educational research, and community development.
Kim received his Ph.D. in educational technology at the University of Southern California in 1999. Since completing his doctorate, he has held posts such as the executive director of information technology at the University of Phoenix, the vice president and chief information officer at Vatterott College, and the chairman of the board for the Intercultural Institute of California.
In all of these positions, Kim has focused on improving access and equity in education throughout both developed and developing countries.
Projects, research, and leadership
Kim designed and initiated a global mobile learning technology initiative named the PocketSchool Project, a contextualized learning technology solution for children in underserved communities of developing countries.
He is also currently one of senior researchers for the POMI, a National Science Foundation (NSF) project to develop and evaluate wireless mobile computing and interactive systems for K-20 formal and informal learning and assessment scenarios.
Kim is also working with numerous international organizations to develop mobile empowerment solutions for extremely underserved communities in developing countries. In his recent expeditions to Latin America, Africa, and India, he investigated the effects of highly programmable open-source mobile learning platforms on education programs for literacy, numeracy, and entrepreneurship (e.g., math games, storytelling, and farming simulations). As part of his research, he is also exploring mobile wireless sensors in simulation-based learning and ePortfolio-based assessment to promote creativity, critical thinking, and problem solving.
In order to promote and incubate social innovation and educational entrepreneurship, Kim founded a voluntary 501(C3) non-profit organization named XRI in 2006 and an accompanying initiative named Seeds of Empowerment. Kim has been actively encouraging the students in his graduate classes at Stanford to take classroom projects to the real world, and some of the work that has come out of Seeds of Empowerment work has succeeded to the final rounds of global competitions sponsored by organizations including the Sesame Workshop, WISE by the Qatar Foundation, and the Marvell 100K Challenge. In higher education, he advises investment bankers and technology ventures focused on e-learning, knowledge management, and mobile communication solutions. His due-diligence engagements include early-stage angel funding and also later-stage private equity-based investments for large enterprises such as Grand Canyon University, Northcentral University, NCA/HLC accredited online universities, and Penn Foster College. His recent international advisement cases include the Saudi Arabia national online university initiative, institutional development for Universidad Tecnológica de El Salvador, and WASC accreditation for the CETYS Universidad in Mexico. He is also an advisory committee member for the National Science Foundation's Education and Human Resources Directorate.
In his keynote presentations and publications, he often presents a value-centered ecosystem borrowing Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution. In his view, individuals and organizations must evolve in order to stay competitive and that any advantage in the ecosystem is always temporary. His unconventional education models have been referred as future education systems.
- Kim, P.,Lee, D., Lee, Y., Huang, C., Makany,T. (2011). "Collective intelligence ratio: Measurement of real-time multimodal interactions in team projects", Team Performance Management, Vol. 17 Iss: 1/2, pp.41 - 62
- Kim, P. Higashi, T., Gonzales, I., Carillo, L., Gàrate, A., & Lee, B. (2010). Socioeconomic strata, mobile technology, & Education: A comparative analysis. doi:10.1007/s11423-010-9172-3. Educational Technology Research & Development
- Kim, P. (2009). An action research for the development of mobile learning system for the underserved. Educational Technology Research & Development.57(3), pp. 415-435. 2009 ETRD AWARD
- Park, C.B., Choi, H., & Kim, P. (2009). Adaptive Open Mobile Learning Device For the Underserved. Proceedings of 2009 IEEE. International Conference on Consumer Electronics.
- Kim, P., Freedman, N., Parikh, V., Taleja, N., Cho, G., Lim, G., & Geva, U. (2009). Mobile Technology as Empowerment Tool for the Underserved. Proceedings of 2009 IEEE. Conference on Technologies for Humanitarian Challenges.
- Kim, P., Ng, Chen Kee, & Lim, G. (2009).When Cloud Computing Meets with Semantic Web: The Creation of ePortfolio System for the New Digital Era. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8535.2010.01055.x. British Journal of Educational Technology.
- Hong, J.S., Kim, P., Bonk, C., & Lim, G.M. (2008). Effects of Group Reflection Variations in Project-Based Learning Integrated in a Web 2.0. Space. doi:10.1080/10494820903210782. Interactive Learning Environments.
- Kim, P., Miranda, T., & Olaciregui, C. (2007). Pocket school: Exploring mobile technology as a sustainable literacy education option for underserved children in Latin America. International Journal of Educational Development. 28(4), pp. 435-445.
- Kim, P. & Olaciregui, C. (2007). The effects of electronic portfolio-based learning space on science education. British Journal of Educational Technology. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8535.2007.00763.
- Kim, P. (2006). Perspectives on a visual-map-based electronic portfolio system. In A. Jafaria & C. Kaufman (Eds.), Handbook of Research on e-Portfolios. (pp. 44-53). Hershey, PA: Idea Group.
- Kim, P. (2006). Effects of 3D virtual reality on students’ achievement and attitude toward learning science. Interactive Learning Environments, 14(1), pp.25-34.
- "Future Education Ecosystem" - UNESCO, Paris, December 16, 2011.
- "Mobile Innovations to improve rural community schools" - National Symposium by Argentina Telecom, Buenos Aires, Argentina, August, 2011.
- "Pedagogical paradigm shift" - ORT University, Montevideo, Uruguay, August, 2011.
- "Causing Evolution in the Education Ecosystem" - EDEN(European Distance Education Network) Annual Conference, Dublin, Ireland, June,2011.
- "Contextualized Innovations in Education" - Imagination Summit, La Mirada, CA, April, 2011.
- "Global Alliance For the 21st Century Education Ecosystem", Omani Society for Education Technology, First International Conference on Blended and Mobile Learning, Muscat, Oman, December, 2010.
- "How innovative technology can make a difference for the underserved"National Center for Technology Innovation, Washington, D.C., November, 2010.
- "Evolution in the 21st Century Higher Education Ecosystem," E-LEARN, Orlando, Florida, October, 2010.
- "Evolution of higher education in the 21st century," National Learning and Teaching Forum, Melbourne, Australia, September, 2010.
- "Evaluating higher education institutions in the 21st century," QS Higher Education Forum, Lima, Peru, September, 2010.
- "ICT National Initiatives and Mobile Innovations 2020," Ministry of ICT, Rwanda, Kigali, Rwanda, August, 2010.
- "Programmable Open Mobile Internet Ecosystem," ETRI (Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute), Deajon, Korea, June, 2010.
- "Disintegration: The Strategy for Causing Technology Evolution," KISTI (Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information), *Deajon, Korea, June, 2010.
- "Mobile Technology Ecosystem for Education and Workforce Development," VIRTUAL EDUCA, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, June, 2010.
- "Mobile Innovation and Global Education Ecosystem," Global Learn, Penang, Malaysia, May, 2010.
- "Contextualization of Mobile Technology for Education, Empowerment, & Peace," Berzeit University, West Bank, Palestine, March, 2010.
- "Mobile Education: Perspectives on the Role of Teacher, School, and Parent," Universidad Tecnológica, San Salvador, March, 2010.
- "Programmable Open Mobile Internet (POM1) 2020,"APAN Annual Meeting, Sydney, January, 2010.
- "Mobile Technology & Entrepreneurship," INCAE (Instituto Centroamericano de Administración de Empresas ) Business School, San Jose, Costa Rica, December, 2009.
- "Innovation - Increasing Access Through Technology," World Innovation Summit for Education, Qatar Foundation, Doha, Qatar, November, 2009.
- "Entrepreneurship in Education,"Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, India, August, 2009.
- "Charter Schools & Technology Innovation," National Charter Schools Conference, Washington, D.C., June, 2009.
- "Mobile Creative Economy and International Development," National Information Society Agency, Ministry of Public Administration and Security, Seoul, Korea, May, 2009.
- "Mobile Innovation in Medical Education," Korea Software Promotion Agency, Ministry of Knowledge Economy, Seoul, Korea, May, 2009.
- "Mobile Innovation and Entrepreneurship," Venture Capital in Education Summit, Stanford, CA, May, 2009.
- "Mobile Learning Design and Contextualized Innovation," American Educational Research Association, San Diego, CA, April, 2009
- "Digital Innovation and Empowerment for All," International Conference on E-Learning and Distance Learning, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, March, 2009.
- "Health Education through Mobile Innovation in Developing Countries," National Information Society Agency, Ministry of Public Administration and Security, Korea, February, 2009.
- "Boosting Educational Development and Creative Economy through Mobile Innovation" National University of Rwanda, Huye, Rwanda, January, 2009.
- "E-Learning and M-Learning Case Studies" Future Education Forum hosted by KERIS (Korea Education & Research Information Service), Ministry of Education and Science, Korea, December, 2008.
- "The world of Web 2.0 in Distance Education." 24th Annual Conference on Distance Teaching & Learning, Madison, WI, August, 2008.
- "Mobile Innovation in Health Education," Asia Pacific Ministry of Health Summit - Health ministers from the Pacific Region, Seoul, Korea, July, 2008.
- "E-portfolios, Accreditation, Institutional Accountability," Korea Engineering Education Association Annual Forum, Seoul, Korea, July, 2008.
- "Mobile Empowerment in the developing world," Nokia Research Center, Palo Alto, CA, April, 2008.
- "Clinical Diagnosis and Medical Education through Internet 2 and GLORIAD 10Gbps backbone ," CENIC (Corporation for Education Network Initiatives in California), Oakland, CA, March, 2008.
- "Active engagement strategies in a web-integrated science learning environment," SITE( Society for Information Technology & Education) Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, March, 2008.
- "E-PBL: Multimodal Synchronous Learning Environment in Medical Education," APAN (Asia Pacific Advanced Network) Annual Meeting, Hawaii, January, 2008.
- "Paul Kim - Office of Innovation & Technology". stanford.edu.
- "PocketSchool". stanford.edu.
- Bonk, C., 2009. The World is Open: How web technology is revolutionizing education. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Kamenetz, A., 2010, |DIYU: Edupunks, Edupreneurs, and the Coming Transformation of Higher Education]. White River Junction, VT: Chesea.
- "Clean Slate Design for the Internet". stanford.edu.
- "Paul Kim - EDUCAUSE". educause.edu.
- "Stanford doctoral student seeks peace through technology - eCampus News". ecampusnews.com. 18 June 2010.
- "Story-telling contest to promote rural education - Indian Express". indianexpress.com.
- Kim, P. (2009). An action research for the development of mobile learning system for the underserved. Educational Technology Research & Development.57(3), pp. 415-435
- "Telecom y la "cuna" de Google y Yahoo prueban "smartphones" educativos en escuelas argentinas". iprofesional.com.
- Kim, P. & Olaciregui, C. (2007) The effects of electronic portfolio-based learning space on science education. British Journal of Educational Technology. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8535.2007.00763.
- Kim,P., Lee,D., Lee,Y., Huang,C., Makany,T., 2011. Collective intelligence ratio: Measurement of real-time multimodal interactions in team projects, Team Performance Management, Vol. 17 Iss: 1/2, pp.41 - 62
- "Joan Ganz Cooney Center - White House CTO Announces Cooney Center Innovation Prizes at E3". joanganzcooneycenter.org.
- "Is Higher Education Evolving?". educause.edu.
- Paul, Kim, (1 January 2010). "Evolution in the 21st Century Higher Education Ecosystem". editlib.org. 2010 (1).